Honey yogurt cake is a light and moist Italian cake that can be eaten any time of day. It goes so well with your morning coffee and it can be made ahead of time so it is ready when you wake up.
Ciambella honey yogurt cake is an Italian yogurt cake recipe that is moist and lightly sweetened. The shape as a ring or donut shape (Ciambella in Italian) and is often how Italians bake these cakes and served for breakfast in Italy.
You can use a regular cake pan for this as well. I love making these cakes because they are really simple, rustic and they make a lightly sweet breakfast that my kids can grab and go with on their way to school. I later can enjoy a slice with some honey and my coffee.
For this cake, I use a French style cake pan called a Savarin mold which is a tube cake pan with the inner circle being very large. I prefer this because it is more authentic to the traditional Ciambella shape (think donut shape) plus it looks more rustic and cooks faster because there is more heat that enters the center of the pan when cooking.
For this recipe you can also use a bundt pan or regular cake pan just increase the time until a cake tester in the center comes out clean.
The flavors in this cake are from honey, olive oil, vanilla and yogurt and it is not overly sweet or too strong. It does have the flavor of olive oil since I made it with extra virgin olive oil.
If you do not like the flavor of olive oil, you can substitute any vegetable oil for it instead. If you are like me and love the flavor of olive oil just follow the recipe as is. You would also love my Basil Olive Oil cake too!
This yogurt cake recipe produces a light, moist crumb that is not heavy and perfect with a glass of milk or your morning coffee. It stays well on the counter for a couple days and in the refrigerator a couple days more after that. Give it a try and you will see just how easy these Italian cakes can be to make!
If you are looking for more Italian cake inspiration then you would love my ricotta ciambella cake. This is a traditional Italian ricotta cake baked as a ciambella cake and it is amazing.
Honey Yogurt Cake – Ciambella Yogurt Cake
- 1 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt Greek yogurt works well but any variety will work
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a tube pan (or cake/bundt pan) with butter
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and honey until it comes together
- Next add your eggs to this mixture, one at a time until they are all mixed in
- Beat in your yogurt and vanilla until it is well incorporated
- In a separate bowl mix your flour, baking powder and salt together
- Add this flour mixture to your wet ingredients and mix until it all comes together and becomes a somewhat of a smooth batter
- Carefully pour your batter into your prepared cake pan
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean
- Once it is finished baking, remove from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes in the pan
- After 20 minutes, flip it out of the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack for another 20 minutes
- Top with powdered sugar and enjoy