Strawberries and cream is a delicious and easy dessert that really takes of advantage of fresh strawberries when they are in season and the ingredients could not be any easier. This classic strawberry dessert has been made all around the World for generations, from Italy to England (during Wimbledon). Once you try this simple combination of strawberries and cream, I know you will be hooked.
About this recipe:
Strawberries with cream poured over the top is a very simple dessert that uses fresh strawberries and fresh sweet cream and it is really delicious. It is served as a breakfast, dessert and even as a snack.
I really love super simple desserts like this and when you are working with strawberries, sometimes simpler is just better. If I am not making this recipe with strawberries, I will usually be making my balsamic strawberries (also really easy.)
To jazz things up in this recipe just a bit, I have added a little vanilla and just a pinch of powdered sugar to enhance the sweetness of the cream. This part of the recipe is totally optional and can be omitted if your prefer.
You may see strawberries and cream served with whipped cream or plain un-whipped cream (as is the case with this recipe.) If you prefer whipped cream instead of the regular cream used in the recipe, I have included instructions on that below.
Origins of Strawberries and Cream:
This recipe for strawberries has been around for many years, all across the World. In Italy, this simple strawberry dessert is a popular way to eat fresh strawberries in season. Italians love fruit in bowls of cream and this is no exception.
At the English Wimbledon tennis championship, this is their official dish. It is believed that strawberries with cream was served from the time of the first Wimbledon back in 1877 because it coincided with England's strawberry season.
Today, if you visit Wimbledon, you will see staff walking around selling bowls of strawberries with glasses of cream to pour over the top.
How to serve:
My favorite way to serve strawberries and cream is by adding fresh strawberries to individual bowls and having a large carafe of cold cream that I pour over the top of the strawberries right before I am ready to eat.
As I mentioned earlier in the post, I like to add a touch of vanilla extract and pinch of powdered sugar. I will do this ahead of time and have it all mixed together with the cream and sitting in the fridge until I am ready to serve dessert.
More strawberry recipes you may like:
- Rustic Strawberry Galette
- Strawberry Top Simple Syrup
- Balsamic Strawberries
- Strawberry and Goat Cheese Crostini
- Strawberry and Basil Popsicles
- Italian Strawberry Basil Mocktail
Strawberries and Cream
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 pint fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Clean and rinse your strawberries.1 pint fresh strawberries
- Cut the tops off of the strawberries and then quarter them by cutting them in half lengthwise then cut the halves in half lengthwise.
- Place the strawberries in a large bowl and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, add the cream, vanilla and powdered sugar. If you prefer to omit the vanilla and sugar just skip to the next step/1 pint fresh cream, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix well with a whisk.
- Pour cream into a carafe or small pitcher.
- Evenly distribute the quartered strawberries into 4 bowls.
- Serve with sweetened cream on the side to pour over the top.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here