This banana coffee cake with a thick delicious streusel topping is moist, delicious and so easy to make. Perfect for any occasion.
Want a delicious way to use up those ripe bananas!
I love baking with bananas because it makes everything it is added to so moist. I usually have some overripe bananas lying around since we only use up about half of an entire bunch that we buy from the store.
With lots of trial and error, I feel that I have nailed the perfect coffee cake and crumb topping (after all, it isn't a coffee cake without a crumb topping!)
The crumb topping on this cake is buttery, crumbly and all things delicious. This delicious topping is for all of the streusel lovers out there because it is nice, thick, and crunchy. It is way more than a normal crumb topping but since this cake is made my way, I made it with an abundance of streusel!
I really feel that in this instance, more is better 🙂 This cake is so moist and fluffy and the crunchy contrast of the topping is perfect.
I love making this coffee cake when I want a quick grab-and-go breakfast the next day. What usually happens is my kids eat most of it before the morning rolls around.
This coffee cake makes a great snack or dessert to entertain with as well. During the Fall and Winter months, I love having this on hand for friends who stop by.
Holidays or special occasions are the perfect time to sit and relax with a piece of this cake and a nice cup of coffee with friends and family.
Banana + Coffee Cake + Lots of Streusel
Here is what you will need to make this. Just your ordinary coffee cake ingredients and some bananas:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Light Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Ripe bananas
- Vanilla extract
For the crumb topping
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Kosher salt, just a pinch!
How to Make Banana Coffee Cake
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a square baking dish.
- Mix The Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Mix The Wet Ingredients: In a separate large bowl, cream together the oil and granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Next, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mash the bananas: Now mash the bananas into the wet ingredients. I like to use a potato masher for this part.
- Combine The Ingredients: Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until it is just combined. Here is where you want to make sure you do not over-mix. Just mix until combined. Over-mixing will cause the coffee cake to become tough since you will overwork the gluten in the flour.
- Prepare a 9x11 baking dish by cutting a strip of parchment paper that is the length of the pan and fits inside. This makes for easy lifting out of the pan later. If you do not have parchment paper, you can butter the pan.
- Pour batter into pan: Now pour the cake batter into the pan.
- Make the extra thick streusel topping: To make the crumb topping, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the cold butter pieces and use your fingers, pastry cutter or a fork to cut it into the dry ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture. You can also pulse the ingredients in a food processor.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake: Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Make sure to not over bake to ensure a nice moist cake!
- Let The Cake Cool
- Slice up and enjoy!
This cake is practically foolproof but there are some tips that will ensure your coffee cake is perfect!
- Use ripe bananas! Even over ripe bananas. The softer the banana is, the more moisture will be added to the coffee cake.
- Do not over-mix the cake: Over-mixing can cause the coffee cake to become tough so make sure to mix until just combined.
- Add some nuts or dried fruit: If you love more texture in your coffee cake or want to boost the health benefits, try adding in some chopped nuts or dried fruit.
- Make it more decadent: If you want to make this coffee cake really decadent, drizzle over some bread pudding sauce or serve it on the side. No one is judging 🙂
If you are lucky enough to have some leftover cake, it stores really well in an airtight container for up to 2 days on the counter.
After that, because the cake is moist from the bananas, it should be placed in the fridge covered, and stored for up to one week.
More Cake Recipes
If you love this banana bread coffee cake recipe, you may also like these:
Moist and Fluffy Banana Coffee Cake
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
Banana Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter cold and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare one 9x11 pan by buttering the pan and then adding a sheet of parchment paper down the center of the long side of the pan to make easy lifting handles for when it is done baking. If you do not have parchment paper, just butter the entire pan well including the sides.
- In a large bowl add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix together3 cups all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a separate bowl add your oil, vanilla and both sugars and mix on medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.1 ¾ cups granulated sugar, ¼ cup light brown sugar packed, ¾ cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Now add your eggs to the creamy mixture and mix well.3 large eggs
- Add your 3 bananas into your oil and egg mixture and mash them well well. Stir to make sure the bananas are all broken up.3 ripe bananas
- Now add your dry ingredients into the wet mixture bowl and mix until it all is incorporated.
- Pour your batter into your prepared cake pan.
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium bowl and gently mix together.1 cup All purpose flour, 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, ½ cup Granulated Sugar, 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- With a pastry cutter, two forks or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry mixture (or rub the butter between fingers) until it resembles small peas.You can also add the ingredients into a food processor and pulse a few times until the mixture comes together.
- Now sprinkle the streusel topping over the cake making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until it is light golden brown. It is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Make sure to not over bake to ensure a moist cake.
- When done, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve by removing the cake from the pan by lifting the parchment paper out of the pan and slicing small squares.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here