Homemade blueberry sauce is very easy to make and only requires just a few simple ingredients, most importantly fresh blueberries. I love using this delicious homemade blueberry sauce to top my mini cheesecakes, ricotta pancakes, brioche french toast or any other dessert that goes well with fruit.
About this blueberry sauce
This blueberry sauce has only 3 ingredients: fresh blueberries, sugar and lemon (the juice and zest). This blueberry sauce recipe does not need any cornstarch and uses the natural pectin in the lemon to thicken up the sauce.
It is the easiest blueberry sauce to make and very delicious. It is the perfect recipe when you have an abundance of blueberries to use up.
Ingredients you will need
- Fresh blueberries.
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon (the juice and the zest).
Three simple ingredients to make this delicious blueberry sauce. I told you this one was really easy!
How to Make Homemade Blueberry Sauce
- Add Fresh blueberries to a medium sauce pan.
- Add lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the blueberries begin to break down and the sauce looks a little thicker.
The sauce while it is cooking will still look a little thin. It will thicken up as it cools so don't worry.
If you want a really thick sauce, just cook the blueberries a little longer until they almost completely break down. I prefer a bit of the whole blueberries in the sauce.
I also like the sauce to be slightly thick but still viscous, which is what this recipe makes.
How to use this sauce
There are so many ways to use this delicious homemade blueberry sauce. Here are some of my favorites below.
- As a topping for my homemade ricotta pancakes.
- As a grown up topping to an open face PB&J sandwich.
- Over ice cream!
- As a topping for cheesecake. I love adding this to my mini cheesecake bites
- Add them to your overnight oats or morning oatmeal.
- Add it to Brioche French toast for a special treat.
FAQS about this easy blueberry sauce
- Can you freeze blueberry sauce? Yes. Just place it in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- How long will it last in the fridge? I have had success storing this for up to one week in the fridge.
- Can this blueberry sauce be served hot? Absolutely. After it has had time to set up, just place the blueberry sauce in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a paper towel (to prevent splatter in the microwave.) Heat the sauce gently until just warmed through. Be careful when heating the sauce because the sugar in the sauce gets very hot.
More Fruit Sauces For You
Easy Homemade Blueberry Sauce
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large lemon zested, squeezed and juiced
- In a small sauce pan add all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat.1 pint fresh blueberries, ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 large lemon zested, squeezed and juiced
- Once it comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it begins to thicken a little bit and the juices begin to release from the blueberries.
- Once this happens, remove from the heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Once it has come to room temperature, place your sauce into a jar with a lid or cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the blueberry sauce is chilled you can add it as a topping to your favorite dessert or breakfast.
- Any berries can be used for this recipe. Just keep the quantities the same.
- The blueberry sauce can be frozen after it has cooled. Just place in a freezer proof bag a freeze. When you are ready to use it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here