This old fashioned sour cream cookie recipe is an old fashioned sour cream cookie that comes from the southern US. These sour cream cookies are drop cookies so there is no rolling needed. They have a wonderful buttery nutmeg flavor and a cake like texture and actually get better with age.
About these sour cream cookies
If you have never tried these old fashioned sour cream cookies, you are in for a treat. Much the same way that classic carrot cake and pimento cheese dip is a Southern tradition, these cookies were made all the time in the South by many families.
These cookies are a traditional drop cookie that melts down when cooking so they come out thin and chewy.
The flavor and texture of these old fashioned sour cream cookies
The flavor of these sour cream cookies comes from brown sugar, butter and nutmeg and they are so delicious. As I mentioned above, these actually get better with age by making them the perfect cookie to leave on the counter to nibble on through the week.
I think I should name these sour cream cake cookies because that is kind of what they remind me of. These sour cream drops are not like regular sugar cookies.
I love to add them to my cookie boxes at the holidays to go along with my salted shortbread , sprinkle sugar cookies, snowflake cookies and snowball cookies.
Now as the name suggests, these cookies are made with sour cream. They are a one bowl kind of cookies and really easy to make.
Here are the ingredients you will need
- All purpose flour.
- Sour Cream
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
The combination of the brown sugar and nutmeg in these sour cream cookies is what really makes these cookies more cake like and chewy. It is so light still and not heavy at all. You can easily eat a bunch of these cookies.
Making these old fashioned sour cream drop cookies is very easy too. Just mix together your dry ingredients then cream your sugar and butter together, add your wet ingredients and then mix everything together.
The result is a very creamy dough that you will drop on to a sheet pan. Make sure to leave space for the cookies to spread when they are baking.
Here is what the dough looks like
Super simple! I hope you try these sour cream drop cookies and love them as much as we do. These definitely deserve a spot at your table for any occasion.
For more cookie recipes:
- Pizzelle Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Cardamom Cookies
- Buttery Shortbread
- Fall Shortbread
- Citrus Sugar Cookies
- Citrus Snowball Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies
- Snowflake Cookies
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- sheet pan
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg large
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and mix together.
- In a large bowl, add your butter and brown sugar and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes to cream.
- Now add your egg and vanilla mix until combined.
- Now add half of your dry ingredients to your wet and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix again until combined.
- Drop a tablespoon of dough on to a sheet pan making sure to leave about 2 inches.
- Do this until all of your dough is used up.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Storing the cookies:These cookies store really well covered on the kitchen counter for up to 2 days. Refrigerate if you need to store them longer
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
These sound just like my grandmothers recipe! I can't wait to make them