This apple galette recipe with brown butter frosting is seriously so delicious and it is so easy to make. This is a very rustic apple galette recipe that is loaded with cinnamon and sugar and then topped with the most delicious brown butter drizzle.
I love making galettes because they are rustic and easy and help me use whatever fruit or vegetable is in season. I have now made a strawberry galette, peach galette and even a savory zucchini galette. If you are not making galettes you need to start!
About this apple galette
This is a really easy apple galette recipe. It is meant to be a rustic apple galette so you don't need to fuss too much with making it perfect. The drizzle of brown butter frosting does not need to be neat.
A fork dipped into the brown butter is all you will need to do this part of the recipe.
The ingredients you will need for this apple galette
- Granny smith apples
- Granulated Sugar
- Pie Crust. Recipe is below or you can use store bought.
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
You only need two apples for this recipe so not much at all. I have made this apple galette with store bought pie crust and my homemade pie crust and both come out amazing.
How to make this rustic apple galette
The only steps needed to make this rustic apple galette are slicing your apples and tossing them with cinnamon and sugar. Once you do that, you will add the apples to your pie crust and then folder over the sides of the pie crust to hold it all in.
Here are what the steps look like
- You will start with rolling out your pie crust.
- Next you will make the apple filling for the galette by slicing the apples placing them in a bowl then tossing them with cinnamon and sugar.
- From there you take the apple filling that you just made and begin placing the apples in the center of your pie crust and almost up to the edge, leaving about 1 inch of the edge of your crust exposed.
- Once the apple filling is placed on top of your pie crust you just take the edges and fold them over towards the inside of your galette making sure you barely overlap your crust over your filling.
Basically, this apple galette is like a fold over apple pie 🙂 When it comes out of the oven and cools you drizzle the browned butter frosting over top and then serve.
If you would prefer to not make the browned butter frosting, the galette will be amazing on its own too! If you would like an alternative to the browned butter frosting that goes over the apple galette, our condensed milk sauce would be a great option.
This apple galette really is the easiest dessert you can make.
Egg wash for the apple galette
You can adjust the color of the crust on your galette by adding an egg wash which will give it a more golden color. For sweet galettes like this one, my peach galette and strawberry galette, I like to add sugar to the edges for some extra crunch and texture.
If you are making a savory galette like my chorizo and zucchini galette, you just use the egg wash.
Making this easy apple dessert recipe in the Fall
This baked apple galette recipe is the perfect dessert to make in the Fall when apples are abundant and the weather starts getting cold. It makes a grest apple dessert for a crowd or just one.
This easy Fall apple dessert also scents up the house when you make it so it not only makes a great dessert but it smells amazing too. The combination of apples and cinnamon is so good and there is something just so relaxing about the scent.
For ideas of planning some Fall baking, I usually start off the season making a big batch of mulled apple cider. From there I begin to look for any excuse to make my homemade apple dumplings and then salted shortbread and my berry crisp.
For more apple recipes
Apple Galette with Brown Butter Frosting
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
Pie crust (makes 2 discs)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cold butter cut your butter into cubes and keep in refrigerator until ready to use
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or any salt)
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup ice water this is ½ cup of water with ice cubes in it to stay cold
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and sliced into ¼-1/8 inch slices
- 2 tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ a lemon squeezed
Brown Butter Frosting for Drizzling over the Galette
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- If you are making your pie crust from scratch, follow the pie crust instructions below. If you are using already made pie crust, go to making the filling section.
- Mix all your dry ingredients into a large bowl2 cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or any salt), ½ tablespoon sugar
- Cut in your cold butter that has been sitting in your refrigerator. To do this, use a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until your butter is about the size of peas.¾ cup cold butter
- Now add your egg, water and vinegar and mix until the dough starts to come together. Coming together means that you can pick up a chunk of your dough, squeeze it together and it stays together. You may need to add a little more water if this does not happen.1 egg, ¼ cup ice water, ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Once your dough has come together, dump it out on to a lightly floured board and shape into a ball. Divide the ball into 2 discs and wrap each disc with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate dough for 20-25 minutes to make the butter cold again (this helps with flakey layers). You can freeze one disc since you only need one for this recipe.
- Once dough has been refrigerated, take one of your pie discs and roll it out on to a lightly floured surface to about ⅛-1/4 inches thick. Place the rolled out dough on to a sheet pan and set aside.
Making the Filling
- Prepare your apples by peeling the skin, coring it and then slicing them into about ⅛-1/4 inch slices.2 Granny Smith Apples
- Add the apple slices to a bowl and squeeze ½ a lemon and toss well.½ a lemon squeezed
- Now add your granulated sugar and cinnamon and toss it all together then set aside.2 tablespoon Granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Take your apples and place them on to the rolled out pie crust leaving a 1 inch border on the outsides and making sure the apples are only slightly overlapping.
- When you are done adding your apples to the crust, fold the edges over towards the middle of your pie crust making sure to only overlap the filling a little bit.
- Make an egg wash by beating one egg.1 egg beaten
- Brush your egg wash over the edge of your galette.
- Sprinkle the edges with a little granulated sugar.2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the apples are tender and the galette edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Start making your brown butter frosting while your galette is cooling.
Making the Brown Butter Frosting
- In a small sauce pan melt your butter over medium low heat.4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Once the butter is fully melted, continue letting it cook over medium low heat until it starts to turn a golden brown color. Little specks of dark butter may form and that is ok.
- Once your butter has browned, remove from the heat and stir in your vanilla and powdered sugar.1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup powdered sugar
- The consistency should be thin enough to drizzle. If your frosting is too thick, add ¼ teaspoon of water at a time and mix well. Keep doing this until you achieve the right consistency.
Drizzling the browned butter over your galette
- Once you have made your brown butter frosting, pour the frosting into a small bowl.
- Grab a fork or a spoon and dip it into the frosting and then drizzle over the top of your galette making sure to move back and forth over the galette as the frosting drizzles down.
- Keep doing this until you are happy with the amount of frosting on your galette. Just make sure you can still see some of the apples poking through.
- Let set up for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
I am definitely looking forward to making this one!