If you are looking for an amazing, easy and moist almond cake recipe that tastes and looks like you bought it at a nice European bakery, then this Vanilla Almond Cake is for you! This vanilla almond cake uses only one bowl and requires no special baking skills. Made with a combination of almond flour and all purpose flour and flavored with almond extract, it is the absolute best almond cake recipe! The creamy light filling just brings it all together for a light delicious cake that is perfect for any occasion.
About this Vanilla Almond Cake
This easy vanilla almond cake is made with almond flour, all purpose flour, vanilla and almond extract. It is a quick almond cake recipe with whipped cream for the frosting and it makes a great special occasion cake or a beautiful cake for holidays.
This light and fluffy cake gets its flavor from the almond syrup (extract), the vanilla extract, slivered almonds (for the top of the cake) and the pillowy soft whipped cream center.
When you serve this almond cake, people will think it came from a bakery. For a perfect weekend treat, make this cake along with a delicious golden milk latte made from my homemade golden milk mix and you will be in heaven.
I like making this almond and vanilla cake as a two layer cake because I love the whipped cream center. You can easily make this recipe into a single cake and omit that part
Nothing changes in the recipe other than the baking time.
I highly recommend making the layer cake version with the filling!
Ingredients you will need
- slivered almonds
- almond syrup (or extract)
- almond flour
- vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- sour cream (or yogurt)
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
How to make
The steps to making this vanilla almond cake recipe are so simple. There is no sifting, no crazy mess from lots of bowls and it is fun.
You actually get to paint the almond flavor on to the cake!
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
This cake is so easy to make, just add the ingredients in one bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add batter to cake pans: Once you have mixed up the vanilla almond cake batter, just pour it into your prepared cake pans for baking.
Decorating the cake
Once the cakes have cooled, the fun part begins! You start with brushing on the almond flavor on one of the cakes which will be the top of the cake.
Once the almond syrup is brushed on top, you can begin to press in the slivered almonds on to the top. The almond syrup helps those slivered almonds stay in place.
Here is what it looks like once you are done pressing the almonds on top of the cake.
Once you have sone this, just set it aside so you can work on the filling.
The filling for this vanilla and almond cake is a whipped cream filling. It is the perfect light center for this fluffy cake.
Once you have made the filling just spread it over the second cake that you baked. When that is done, you can place the cake with the almonds on top of this and it is done!
I like to dust the top of the cake with a little powdered sugar.
I have included a quick video of the assembling and putting together of the cake. It really is a quick almond cake recipe and it comes out beautiful each time!
Components of this vanilla almond cake
The almond flavor in this cake
This vanilla almond cake is made with almond flour (and all purpose flour) along with some almond syrup or extract. The flavor of the almonds in this almond cake is not overpowering at all.
This allows the other flavors of the cake to come through and make the cake more balanced.
I am not a fan of overly strong almond flavored desserts so this cake reflects that with it's more subtle notes. Also, this recipe uses an almond syrup.
Almond syrup is a flavored syrup that is already sweetened and you can find it anywhere that sells flavored syrups for baking or for coffee. If you prefer a much stronger almond flavor, you can substitute almond extract for the almond syrup in the recipe.
Combination of Almond flour and all purpose flour
As the name says, this cake is made with almonds and has some almond flour in it. I use a mix of almond flour and all purpose flour to make the cake a little lighter and fluffy.
Traditional almond cake will be made with all almond flour but I prefer to mix in some all purpose flour too. This is more of a French almond cake because of the two types of flour used.
I have also made it without the almond flour and substituted regular all purpose flour and it tastes just as amazing that way.
How to serve
This is great served with fresh brewed coffee or tea and can be served for dessert after dinner or just as a mid afternoon treat.
Whether you are looking for a special cake recipe or holiday recipe, this cake is easy and impressive. Go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think 🙂
More Cake Recipes
- Moist Carrot Cake
- Basil Olive Oil Cake
- Italian Berry Cake with Mascarpone
- Pumpkin Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Moist 3 Layer Chocolate Cake
- Italian Apple Cake
- Mini Cheesecake Bites
- Philadelphia Cheesecake
- Banana Coffee Cake
Vanilla Almond Layer Cake
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 9 inch round cake pans
- ½ cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup finely ground almond flour Store bought or homemade. If you do not have this then regular all purpose flour will be fine
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon almond almond syrup To make your own syrup, see notes below.
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
For the glaze
- ⅛ cup almond syrup or almond extract if you want a stronger almond flavor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar plus more for sprinkling
- ½ cups slivered almonds toasted
For Vanilla Whipped Cream Center
- 1 pint heavy whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
- Spray 2, 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
- Line the bottom of pans with parchment paper and spray parchment paper lightly. Set aside
- Place almonds in a pan on the stove over medium low heat. Spread to a single layer. Cook, turning often until they are browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended.
- Add the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the oil and mix well for about 2 minutes until the oil mixes in with the batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a cake tester (toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean. Oven times will vary. Be careful not to over bake.
- Cool cakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then turn them out of the pan onto the rack so that the top of the cake is now the bottom.
- Take one layer of your cake and leave the other layer for later.
Adding the Glaze
- While cake is still warm, using a pastry brush, gently brush the glaze all over the cake. Keep doing this until all the glaze is gone. (Remember, you are only decorating one layer of your cake. This layer is the top.)
- Some of it will drip off, but most of it will soak in.
- Sprinkle almonds over the top of cake in a single layer while glaze is wet and pat down gently.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
Making the Vanilla Whipped Cream center
- In a large bowl, add your whipping cream and vanilla and with a hand mixer, whip for about 2 minutes.
- Next add your powdered sugar and whip until the sugar is incorporated and the whipped cream is nice and thick.
- Once both of your cake layers are completely cool, place the non decorated layer of cake on a cake stand or plate.
- Next add your whipped cream filling on top of this cake making sure to gently push the whipped cream to the edges of the cake.
- Now gently place your decorated cake layer with the almonds on top of the whipped cream.
- Make sure it is centered.
- Once your cake is assembled, dust it with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here