Grapefruit and basil popsicles are one of my favorite homemade popsicles that I make. I really love any combination of basil and citrus and maybe that is why I love these citrus popsicles so much. These sweet basil juice popsicles are made with honey and are refined sugar free making them not only tasty but healthier too.
About these Citrus Juice Popsicles with Basil
Now, I have to say, I love citrus in almost everything. I add it to my green juice for a pick me up, to cakes and just about everything in between.
When you are making these popsicles, you want to work with fresh citrus juice if you can. It tastes better and it is better for you.
Also, if you are planning to make these citrus juice popsicles, you just need to plan a little ahead since they are popsicles and need to be frozen for a good 24 hours before they are ready. The steps to making these popsicles are super easy. You will need to make a quick simple syrup and then juice your citrus for the popsicles.
Fresh squeezed or store bought juice for these juice popsicles:
If you are not into juicing your own citrus fruit or do not have time to do that, you can substitute unsweetened grapefruit and lemon juice from the store and it tastes just as amazing as the fresh squeezed.
The nice thing about the ingredients in these juice popsicles with basil is fresh grapefruit juice without sugar is readily available to purchase in most grocery stores. For the lemon, you can just use lemon juice in the little yellow bottle.
Making these citrus basil popsicles healthy with honey.
These are popsicles without sugar and we have used honey to sweeten them instead. I actually try to use honey for as many things as I can because it is a natural sugar that is a little healthier for your body and every little bit counts.
You can substitute regular sugar or a sugar substitute for the honey if you are allergic or cannot have it.
More like this
If you love these grapefruit popsicles, you may also like these:
Need more basil inspiration?
If you really love this recipe and want to have more basil flavor in your recipes, you will love:
My basil simple syrup recipe. I can drink this stuff almost straight.
I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy as much as I do in the summer!
Grapefruit, Lemon and Basil Popsicles
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 4 red grapefruits squeezed and juiced
- 4 large lemons squeezed and juiced
- 24 medium sized basil leaves
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 cup of water
- Make your simple syrup by combining your honey, half your basil (you are saving the other half of the basil for adding into the popsicle molds later) and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the honey is dissolved remove from the heat and let cool.
- Once it has cooled, remove the basil and discard
- Now add your fresh grapefruit and lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour your mixture into popsicle molds making sure to not over fill and following the manufacturers instructions.
- Add 2-3 sprigs of basil to each mold and cover and freeze for 24 hours.
- Remove your popsicles from their molds based on the manufacturers instructions and enjoy!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Wow. There were so good