If you are looking for a delicious way to use fresh strawberries then this really easy strawberry galette is the recipe for you. This is a really easy rustic strawberry galette that uses just three ingredients- strawberries, store bought pie crust, a little sugar and nothing else. This strawberry galette recipe is best served warm with whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream.
Why this strawberry galette is the best
If you have never made galettes, they are really easy and essentially the lazy persons pie. It is almost guaranteed that I will make one for every season and everyone always loves them.
In addition to that:
- Really easy! This rustic strawberry galette only requires you to roll out pie crust (store bought or homemade pie crust ), layer on fresh sliced strawberries and sprinkle a little sugar over the top before baking.
- It tastes amazing.
- Only requires a few ingredients. You probably have all of the ingredients to make this strawberry galette sitting in your fridge and pantry.
It really is the easiest strawberry galette you can make.
What is a galette?
As I mentioned earlier in this post, a galette is a very rustic French dessert that uses pie crust or pastry crust as the base and then fruit or vegetables are added on top. The edges of the galette are then folded inwards over some of the topping and then it is baked in the oven until crisp.
There are few ingredients in making a galette, so you really want to make sure they are amazing! You can make any style of galette from sweet to savory.
I have made savory galettes with my zucchini and chorizo galette and also other sweet galettes like my peach galette and my apple galette.
Making a galette is such a great way to uses fruit or veggies and turn it into something special.
- Pie Crust
- Coarse sugar for the crust(or regular granulated sugar if that is what you have)
- Granulated sugar (for the strawberries)
I love making this rustic strawberry galette in strawberry season but you can also make it all throughout the year. I just love strawberries so this is a dessert I am always in the mood to eat.
How to make
The steps to making this strawberry galette are really easy. If you can roll out pie crust (and there is no need to be perfect) and slice strawberries then you've got this. It really looks beautiful as well.
Clean and slice your strawberries
This one is fairly straight forward. Just slice your berries to about ¼ inch thick. Place in a bowl and add your sugar.
Roll out your dough
Next you want to roll out your dough. Now you can start with store bought pie crust or make your own.
I often buy my favorite brand of pie crust and store it in the freezer for easy meals like this one.
If I have time, I will also make a big batch of my homemade pie crust at the start of each season and freeze it for just this type of recipe. Do what is easiest for you!
Add strawberry slices and then start folding in the sides of your pie crust
I like to take my strawberries and with a large slotted spoon scoop them out the bowl with the sugar and dump them in a large pile in the center of the pie crust.
You are then going to start to fold your pie crust over the strawberries. When you do this, make sure you cover only half of the outer row.
Finish folding in the sides of your pie crust and add the finishing touches
Just keep folding in the edges of your pie crust. You are just taking large sections of the crust, folding it so that it goes at least half way over the outer layer of peaches.
You want to press down a little on the folds to keep it sealed. Really easy.
Finishing touches before you bake the strawberry galette
For the finishing touches, I like to brush the folded crust with an egg wash because this browns up the crust nicely in the oven. If you don't do this step that is fine, the crust will not look as glossy and brown though.
The other finishing touch that I love using is sprinkling some turbinado sugar (a raw coarse sugar) on top of the egg wash on the crust. This adds a nice sweet crunch to the finished crust and tastes so good.
If you don't have this type of sugar any sugar will work fine.
That is it! It really is just slicing strawberries, rolling out a pie crust and assembling. Once the strawberry galette is all cooked up, it looks beautiful and it makes the perfect easy dessert.
A galette is a rustic dish that uses pie crust as the base but the crust is rolled out and placed on to a sheet pan and baked flat.
To prevent your galette from getting soggy during baking you need to make sure to do three things. First make sure you do not add too much topping, especially toppings that are full of liquid or will exude liquid like fruits. The second way to ensure your galette does not become soggy is to make sure you do not roll the pie crust too thin. The last tip to ensure you do not have a soggy bottom is to seal the edges of the galette well so liquids do not roll over the edge. Some liquid getting out is fine but you want to make sure it is not a lot.
This recipe is for a simple rustic strawberry galette which I enjoy because it is easy and practical AND delicious. You can certainly jazz this strawberry galette up with more flavor or flavor variations.
Here are some ideas!
- Strawberry and basil galette. I love strawberry and basil together and many of my recipes like my Italian mocktail or strawberry popsicles are some of my favorites using this combo.
- Strawberry and peach galette
- Strawberry and blueberry galette
- Strawberry and rhubarb galette
- or any other strawberry variation you love!
Get creative with your galette 🙂 This easy strawberry galette is perfect as is but make it your own if you prefer.
Make sure when you are cleaning and prepping the strawberries that you do not throw out the strawberry tops. We have a wonderful strawberry top simple syrup to make sure there is no food waste.
More strawberry recipes
For More Delicious Fruit Recipes
- Delicious Mixed Berry Crisp
- Strawberries and Cream
- Homemade Blueberry Sauce
- Strawberry and Goat Cheese Crostini
- Cranberry and Citrus Shortbread
- Triple Berry Shortbread Tart
- Easy Homemade Berry Sauce plus add it to these cheesecake bites
- Blackberry Scones
- Blueberry and Vanilla Yogurt Scones
- Italian Berry Cake with Mascarpone Cream
- Mixed Berry Preserves
- Mini Cheesecake Bites with fresh berries.
- Peach Cobbler with Pie Crust
Easy Strawberry Galette
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries Cleaned, tops trimmed off and strawberries sliced.
- 1 Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoon Coarse sugar or regular if that is all you have
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg beaten. (For egg wash)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice your strawberries and add them to a medium bowl.1 pint of fresh strawberries
- Add your granulated sugar to the strawberries and mix well then set aside.2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Next you want to roll out your dough. Now you can start with store bought pie crust or make your own.1 Pie Crust
- Place your rolled out dough on to a large baking pan.
- Scoop your sliced strawberries with a slotted spoon and add them to the top of your dough making sure to leave a one inch border.
- You are going to start to fold your pie crust over the strawberries. When you do this, make sure you cover only a little bit of the berries.
- Finish folding in the sides of your pie crust.
- Brush the folded crust with an egg wash. Take 1 egg beat it and then brush this on the crust.1 egg
- Sprinkle some turbinado sugar (a raw coarse sugar) on top of the egg wash on the crust. This adds a nice sweet crunch to the finished crust and tastes so good. If you don't have this type of sugar any sugar will work fine.2 tablespoon Coarse sugar
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Whipped Cream (optional)
- Add your cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to a large bowl.1 cup heavy whipping cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- With a handheld mixer or whisk, whisk your cream mixture for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to become stiff.
- Serve with galette or store in the fridge until ready to use.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
This strawberry galette was absolutely delicious! Very easy and everyone enjoyed it.
Hi Bethany. I am so glad you enjoyed it!
Very easy and it came out great