If you are looking for a delicious way to use strawberries then this rustic strawberry galette with whipped cream is the answer. This is a really easy fruit galette that uses just strawberries, pie crust, a little sugar , homemade whipped cream and nothing else. This strawberry galette recipe is best served warm with and goes nicely with vanilla ice cream.
About this recipe:
If you have never made galettes, they are really easy and essentially the lazy person's pie. I pretty much make one for every season. For Spring and Summer when I want something sweet, I make this galette and my peach galette. When I am craving something savory, my chorizo and zucchini galette is my fall back quick meal.
In the Fall I love making an apple galette. You can really use any fruit or vegetable when making galettes.
The key to making an amazing galette is making sure you are starting out with a good quality store bought pie crust or you can make your own. Here is my favorite pie crust recipe.
To make this rustic strawberry galette recipe you will need:
Coarse sugar (or regular if that is all you have)
Granulated sugar (for the strawberries)
I love making this rustic galette in strawberry season but you can also make it all throughout the year. I just love strawberries so this is a dessert I am always in the mood to eat.
Steps to making this strawberry galette:
The steps are really easy as well. If you can roll out pie crust (and there is no need to be perfect) and slice strawberries then you've got this. It really looks beautiful as well.
Clean and slice your strawberries
This one is fairly straight forward. Just slice your berries to about ¼ inch thick. Place in a bowl and add your sugar.
Roll out your dough
Next you want to roll out your dough. Now you can start with store bought pie crust or make your own. I like making lots of my homemade pie crust at the start of each season and freezing it for just this type of recipe. Do what is easiest for you!
Add strawberry slices and then start folding in the sides of your pie crust
I like to take my strawberries and with a large slotted spoon scoop them out the bowl with the sugar and dump them in a large pile in the center of the pie crust.
You are then going to start to fold your pie crust over the strawberries. When you do this, make sure you cover only half of the outer row.
Finish folding in the sides of your pie crust and add the finishing touches
Just keep folding in the edges of your pie crust. You are just taking large sections of the crust, folding it so that it goes at least half way over the outer layer of peaches. You want to press down a little on the folds to keep it sealed. Really easy.
For the finishing touches, I like to brush the folded crust with an egg wash because this browns up the crust nicely in the oven. If you don't do this step that is fine, the crust will not look as glossy and brown though.
The other finishing touch that I love using is sprinkling some turbinado sugar (a raw coarse sugar) on top of the egg wash on the crust. This adds a nice sweet crunch to the finished crust and tastes so good. If you don't have this type of sugar any sugar will work fine.
That is it! It really is just slicing strawberries, rolling out a pie crust and assembling. Once the strawberry galette is all cooked up, it looks beautiful and it makes the perfect easy dessert.
Rustic Strawberry Galette with Whipped Cream
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries
- 1 Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoon Coarse sugar or regular if that is all you have
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice your strawberries and add them to a medium bowl.
- Add your granulated sugar to the strawberries and mix well then set aside.
- Next you want to roll out your dough. Now you can start with store bought pie crust or make your own.
- Place your rolled out dough on to a large baking pan.
- Scoop your sliced strawberries with a slotted spoon and add them to the top of your dough making sure to leave a one inch border.
- You are going to start to fold your pie crust over the strawberries. When you do this, make sure you cover only a little bit of the berries.
- Finish folding in the sides of your pie crust.
- Brush the folded crust with an egg wash. Take 1 egg beat it and then brush this on the crust.
- Sprinkle some turbinado sugar (a raw coarse sugar) on top of the egg wash on the crust. This adds a nice sweet crunch to the finished crust and tastes so good. If you don't have this type of sugar any sugar will work fine.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Add your cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to a large bowl.
- With a handheld mixer or whisk, whisk your cream mixture for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to become stiff.
- Serve with galette or store in the fridge until ready to use.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here