These moist, easy-to-make, and juicy turkey patties are going to be your new favorite once you try them. They are seasoned with cumin and spices and produce the most tender and juicy turkey burgers. We like serving these patties over rice but you can easily throw them on a bun to make the best juicy turkey burgers.
These ground turkey patties are really moist thanks to the seasoning we make beforehand. Our family makes these and our hamburger patties all year round. It is my tried and true recipe for turkey burgers and they are delicious.
They are quick to make and the seasoning addition can be made ahead of time.
The patties are cooked on the stovetop with a delicious outside crust and juicy center. They make a great meal anytime of year.
This turkey patty recipe is seriously delicious, healthy, and one we love to make often and we know you will too.
- Lean ground turkey. More on types of ground turkey to use for this recipe below.
- Olive oil. for cooking the patties.
- Seasoning (below)
Turkey patty seasoning
- Finely diced carrots
- Finely diced onions
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh chives (optional but really good)
How to make juicy turkey patties
Choosing the right ground turkey
When you are making these you want to work with ground turkey that is labeled ground turkey and not ground white turkey. The ground turkey label will usually include a little dark meat whereas the white ground turkey will be too dry.
I like using a ground turkey with a 93/7 label which means it is lean ground turkey with 7 percent fat.
Seasoning the ground turkey
When seasoning the ground turkey, you want to think about how you are going to add moisture to it. Ground turkey is naturally a dry meat and it needs moisture added to it.
For this recipe, we make a seasoning blend with olive oil and aromatics.
The olive oil will add moisture to the inside of the turkey patty and the patties will cook in olive oil too. This makes the best turkey burgers in my opinion.
Making this turkey patty seasoning on the stovetop is the first thing you want to do. The ground turkey seasoning is the carrots and onion that are finely diced and cooked in olive oil until soft.
You want to start with this part first because you want to allow it time to cool before you add it to your ground turkey meat. This is the carrot, onion, and olive oil. This is what is going to give the turkey so much delicious flavor.
This seasoning for the ground turkey will also help the patties keep their moisture when cooking later on.
Once the turkey seasoning mixture has cooled, you will add it to a bowl with the ground turkey and some spices (garlic powder, cumin, salt, and fresh chives.)
I do love adding those fresh chives to the turkey patty to add an element of freshness. If you do not have fresh chives on hand, these will still taste amazing so don't worry.
Once the turkey patty mixture is combined, you will divide the mixture into four parts and make four turkey patties with it. I like to cook these patties on the stovetop over medium heat until they get a nice outside crust and the center is fully cooked and they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Cooking in olive oil really helps keep the turkey patty tender while making sure the turkey is fully cooked through.
Turkey Patty Serving Ideas
As I mentioned above, we really love serving these ground turkey burgers over fluffy rice or couscous but here are some more really great ideas you can try.
- Quick Spanish rice goes really well with these cumin-spiced patties.
- I always love to serve a fresh component to ground turkey and one of my favorites is an easy Greek salad, Mediterranean bean salad, pinto bean salad, or spicy chickpea salad.
- If you are looking to just add vegetables to this dish, this roasted cauliflower with potatoes and cumin makes the perfect addition to these.
- Our pulled pork sides would go really well with these turkey patties!
- Or browse some of our other side dish recipes.
- We love serving these turkey patties with a side of creamy sriracha sauce, yogurt sauce or gochujang mayo. It is great with them.
More ground meat recipes
If you love this turkey patty recipe, you may also like these:
The Best Turkey Patties
- 16 ounces lean ground turkey 93/7 or 7 percent fat
- ¼ cup finely diced carrots
- ¼ cup finely diced onion Spanish or yellow onion
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh chives finely chopped- optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
Cooking the Turkey Patties
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, carrots, onion and red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.¼ cup finely diced carrots, ¼ cup finely diced onion, pinch of red pepper flakes, 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the carrots are softened.
- Once cooked, remove the carrot and onion mixture from pan and pour it into a small bowl, making sure to also save the olive oil from the pan with it.
- Allow the mixture to completely cool.
Assembling the turkey patty mixture
- In a large bowl add the ground turkey, spices and cooled carrot and onion mixture. Make sure to add the olive oil from the carrot and onion mixture.16 ounces lean ground turkey, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoon fresh chives
- Mix well until everything is fully incorporated.
Making the turkey burgers
- Pre-heat the same large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil.¼ cup olive oil
- With your hand, divide the turkey mixture into four sections by making a plus sign across the turkey mixture.
- Form each section of the mixture you divided into one turkey patty.
- Place the turkey patties into the saute pan and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Very carefully flip the turkey patties and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until the patties are an internal temperature of 165 degrees and fully cooked in the center.
- Remove turkey patties from the pan on to a plate and v=cover with aluminum foil.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite side or on a bun.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!