If you are looking to cook the perfect fluffy rice, this recipe will show you everything you need to know about how to cook fluffy rice on the stove top perfectly every time. You do not need rice cookers to make a delicious pot of rice and cooking rice on the stovetop is so much tastier.
This recipe for cooked basmati rice will walk you through all the steps to make fluffy basmati rice and show you the perfect rice to water ratio to use.
About this stove top basmati rice recipe:
Cooking a really good pot of fluffy rice does not need to be complicated and it is actually quite easy when you follow the basic concept of using the right ratio of water to rice. Many people begin following the instructions on the packages of rice that they purchase when they make it at home and those ratios are all wrong.
I will show you how to make the perfect pot of basmati rice and the correct ratio of water to rice to use so you end up with fluffy and delicious rice every time.
Ingredients to make cooked basmati rice:
- Long grain rice. I always use basmati because it will produce delicious fluffy rice. If the recipe you are using calls for short grain rice you can still follow these steps to make rice.
- Kosher salt
Notes about the ingredients
I do always use basmati rice because long grain rice tends to be less starchy which in turn produces a fluffier rice. Sometimes short grain rice is called for in recipes because it will have that extra starch.
For most recipes, long grain basmati works the best. It should definitely be your go to rice over all others.
This recipe also calls for butter and not oil. You can use oil but it will stick more to the rice affecting how it cooks and in turn producing a less fluffy final product.
How to cook perfect basmati rice on the stovetop:
- Step 1: The first thing you want to do is melt your butter in the sauce pan.
- Step 2: Next, measure out a full cup of rice.
- Step 3: Add the rice to the butter and stir it around to coat all the rice.
- Step 4: Now measure the correct ratio of water. For one cup of rice the amount of water you would add is 1 ½ cups. I will explain the ratio in more detail below.
- Step 6: Add the water to the rice and stir. Then measure out your salt and add that to the rice then bring to a boil. Once the rice is boiling, reduce heat to low and place a lid on top until cooked through.
Tips for cooking the perfect rice:
As I mentioned earlier, cooking the perfect fluffy rice is all about the perfect ratio of water to rice. This recipe for cooked basmati rice is for 1 cup of rice.
The perfect ratio of rice to water when making rice-
All rice cooks at an almost double the amount of water to rice ratio. Almost is the keyword!
To achieve the perfect fluffy rice, you will want to use a little less than half of the water needed.
To make a half cup of rice: When cooking half a cup of rice you would double the water except not fully. To make fluffy rice you would add ¾ cups of water, not one cup.
This is where many people go wrong, by adding the fully doubled amount of water and the rice does not turn out well.
To make one cup of rice: You would double this ratio, ¾ cup of water plus ¾ cup of water which equals 1 ½ cups of water to one cup of rice.
If you remember the ratio for ½ cup of rice needs ¾ cups of water then you can always add upwards. I do not think that anyone needs to make less than ½ a cup of rice so these two examples should answer most questions. 🙂
If this is confusing you can always bookmark this page and come back to it when you need to!
Making the rice extra fluffy!
While it is not necessary, if you want extra fluffy rice, you can rinse the uncooked rice in a colander until the water runs clear. Once it is rinsed, give the colander a little shake and let it sit for about 5 minutes to fully drain and dry out.
Proceed with the recipe after this step.
My Favorite Recipes to make with this fluffy cooked basmati rice:
- Chinese Chicken
- Weeknight Korean Beef
- Chicken Satay without the Skewers
- Oven Baked Asian Style Meatballs
- Pulled Pork Rice Bowl
- Amazing Fajitas from Leftovers
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- The Best Juicy Boneless Pork Chops
- Kofta Meatballs
- Blackened Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Bowl
- Black Beans Recipe (Cuban style black beans)
- Thai Chicken and Basil Stir Fry
How to Cook Perfect Rice Every Time
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- Medium pot with tight fitting lid
- 1 cup Long grain rice Like basmati
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt if using regular table salt, reduce amount by half
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.1 tablespoon butter
- Add rice and mix well making sure to coat all the rice.1 cup Long grain rice
- Add water and mix. Increase the heat to high to bring to a boil.1 ½ cups water
- Once the water is boiling, add your salt, mix and place lid on top then reduce heat to low.1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes with the lid still on.
- After resting, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
It came out perfect! Thank you it was nice https://lfu.edu.krd/
So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing 🙂
It came out perfect! Thank you 🙂