Everyone needs a delicious classic hamburger patty recipe in their repertoire. A really good hamburger patty recipe will yield a moist juicy classic hamburger that can be eaten on its own and still taste delicious. This hamburger recipe is just that. Once you try it, you will be hooked!
About this hamburger patty recipe:
Making a classic hamburger is easy once you know the right steps to make sure that it will always turn out juicy and delicious. This homemade hamburger recipe makes four ½ pound hamburgers. I will walk you through all the steps to make a delicious juicy classic hamburger (with or without cheese) and it will rival the best restaurants and save you money making it at home.
You can make these homemade hamburgers on the grill, on the stove top or even in the air fryer. I have tried it on all of these methods and it works perfectly!
Ingredients you will need for this homemade hamburger patty recipe:
- 2 pounds of ground beef (80/20 blend). You want to make sure you are using ground beef that has 20 percent fat in it. This ensures that the burgers are juicy and full of flavor.
- Seasoning blend: kosher salt, onion powder and sweet paprika. This blend is my tried and true hamburger blend and it really tastes amazing with the burgers!
Steps to making these hamburger patties:
Step 1: Here you want to make sure that you divide your ground beef evenly into 4 balls so they all cook within the same time.
Step 2: After you have rolled out your ground beef evenly, you form them into hamburger patties by pressing them down until they are the desired thickness. You can smooth out any rough edges that form as well.
Step 3: Once your hamburger patties are formed you want to make a small well (indentation) on the top of your hamburgers. This will ensurer that the hamburgers do not bloat and turn round when they are cooking. The well will disappear after cooking 🙂
Step 4: Here is where you add your hamburger seasoning. Make sure to add it right before cooking since you do not want to the salt interacting with meat too long.
What to serve with this classic burger:
So you've taken the time to make these delicious homemade classic hamburgers and now you might be wondering what to serve with them. Here are some of my favorite things to serve with good old fashioned hamburgers:
- Italian salsa verde potatoes
- Chickpea salad with creamy sriracha dressing
- Refrigerator pickles
- Salt and vinegar fries
- Greek cucumber salad
- Italian mac and cheese
- Basil lemonade
- Lavender lemonade
- Chopped kale salad
- Italian pasta salad
- Cherry limeade
Do you need to add any binders to homemade hamburgers?
No! Hamburgers are not meatloaf or meatballs (which have binders but merely for flavor or to bulk up portions). Hamburgers hold their shape on their own and do not need any binders to help with this.
Making juicy homemade hamburgers-
If you want to make your homemade hamburgers juicy, there are just two things you have to remember. First is you must use ground beef with fat in it. A blend of 80/20 ground beef (which means 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat) will always give you juicy burgers. If you are using lean ground beef to make hamburgers, you are just not going to have a juicy burger.
The second thing that makes a juicy burger is not over cooking the burger. Cooking a hamburger beyond a temperature of medium (which is a solid warm pink center) will begin to dry out the burger.
Hamburger Patty Recipe
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 lbs ground hamburger meat 80/20 blend and the best quality ground beef you can find.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Divide your ground beef evenly into 4 sections.2 lbs ground hamburger meat
- Roll the divided ground beef into 4 balls, smoothing out any rough edges and then place on a large plate.
- Press the hamburger balls down until the thickness is about ¾ inches thick.
- With your finger tips, gently press a well into the centers of the hamburger patties, pressing only about half way down the middle of the patties.
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl.1 teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon onion powder, ⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Sprinkle seasoning on patties and cook using your preferred cooking method.
- Pre-heat thee grill to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place hamburger patties on grill and close the lid.
- Cook the first side for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, flip the burgers and cook for another 4 minutes with thee lid closed.
- Remove from the grill and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium- medium rare burger.
Pan Frying Instructions
- Pre-heat a large flat bottom griddle or pan on medium heat.
- Add the burgers to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes on the second side.
- Remove from the pan and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium burger.
Air fryer Instructions
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Place patties inside air fryer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After a total of 10 minutes, remove from the air fryer and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium burger.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here