Everyone needs a delicious classic hamburger patty recipe in their repertoire. A really good hamburger patty recipe will yield moist juicy classic hamburgers that can be eaten on its own and still taste delicious. These hamburger patties are just that. You can cook these hamburgers on the grill, on the stovetop, or in the air fryer and they come out juicy and delicious every time.
Table of contents
Why You'll Love This Hamburger Patty Recipe
Of all the recipes we have tested (and we have made many) this burger patty is our absolute favorite hamburger patty recipe! There are no binders and it is 100 percent pure ground beef. The perfect hamburger.
Making the perfect patty will ensure you have a delicious hamburger! Homemade hamburger patties are easy to make once you know the right steps to make sure that your hamburgers will always turn out juicy and delicious. This homemade hamburger recipe makes four ½-pound hamburgers.
I will walk you through all the steps to make delicious juicy hamburgers (with or without cheese) and it will rival the best restaurants and save you money making it at home.
You can make these hamburgers on the grill, on the stovetop, or even in the air fryer. We also love cooking up these hamburgers on our Blackstone griddle!
I have tried it with all of these methods and it works perfectly! It really is the best burger recipe for any style of cooking.
Add a quick homemade basil mayonnaise, or creamy sriracha sauce, gochujang mayo, brown sugar BBQ sauce, cherry BBQ sauce, creamy cilantro sauce, or poblano sauce for a really flavorful burger and to really elevate your burger game.
Ingredients for this homemade hamburger patty
- 2 pounds of ground beef (80/20 blend). You want to make sure you are using ground beef with a higher fat content, preferably one that has 20 percent fat in it. This ensures that the hamburgers are juicy and full of flavor. You could also use an 85/15 blend if you prefer. I find the 80/20 blend of ground beef makes the best hamburgers. This blend just gives so much flavor.
- Seasoning blend: kosher salt, onion powder, and sweet paprika. This blend is my tried and true hamburger blend and it really tastes amazing and to me, makes the perfect burger! If you want to add even more flavor you can try adding garlic powder, a homemade chili seasoning mix, or mesquite seasoning or blackened seasoning to the burgers before cooking.
Steps to making the best hamburgers
Divide ground beef: Add the ground beef to a large bowl then divide into 4 sections. Here you want to make sure that you divide your ground beef evenly into 4 balls. This will ensure that there is the same amount of ground beef in each hamburger patty and they all cook at the same time.
Shape Hamburger patties: After you have rolled out your ground beef evenly, you form them into hamburger patties. To do this, you gently press down each patty until they are the desired thickness.
For this burger patty recipe, the thickness is about ¾ of an inch. You can smooth out any rough edges that form as well so when the hamburgers cook they will be uniform in shape.
Make Indentation into the Hamburger patties: Once your hamburger patties are formed you want to make a small well (indentation) on the top of your hamburgers. This will ensure that the hamburgers do not bloat and turn round like a hockey puck when they are cooking.
If you have had problems with your hamburgers doing this when you've cooked them, this will fix that! The well will disappear after cooking 🙂
Seasoning your homemade hamburgers: Here is where you add your hamburger seasoning. Make sure to add the seasoning right before cooking the hamburgers.
You do not want the salt interacting with the hamburger patty for too long. See the dry brining your meat section below for why this is and different ways to season meat.
- Cooking the burgers: Depending on the cooking method you are using, these burger patties are quick to cook. They will take between 4-6 minutes on medium heat to cook. We have instructions for grilling, stovetop cooking, or air fryer cooking in the recipe card below. Once they are done cooking, you can add a slice of cheese to each patty and lightly cover with aluminum foil to melt the cheese.
What to serve with this classic hamburger
So you've taken the time to make this delicious homemade hamburger recipe and now you might be wondering what to serve with it. Here are some of my favorite things to serve with hamburgers:
- For some easy sides to serve with hamburgers, we love serving: Chickpea salad with creamy sriracha dressing or Greek cucumber salad. Even a classic side of French fries or sweet potato fries.
- For a more Italian twist try: Italian mac and cheese, a Basil lemonade, maybe a Pesto Pasta, our crispy Italian salsa verde potatoes, or our Italian pasta salad
- For a more traditional pairing, we love: Lavender lemonade with a Chopped kale salad and Grilled potatoes in foil or Red Potato Salad
Once you have gone through all the steps to make the perfect hamburger patty, you may be wondering what the best buns are for hamburgers. Here are some ideas:
- Brioche Buns: This has become more popular recently and a great choice if you are looking for that classic soft hamburger bun for your burgers.
- Potato buns: The potato rolls are strong and sturdy hamburger buns and can hold up to a big juicy burger without getting too mushy.
- Old-fashioned hamburger buns: This is the classic American hamburger bun made from regular wheat flour and you can never go wrong with it.
- Thick sliced bread: I know, technically this is not a bun but many people do love adding their burgers to thick sliced toasted bread.
For the best results with whatever you choose, it is always nice to toast up the bread before adding the hamburgers to them. When I am grilling, I like to toast the hamburger buns on the grill AFTER I take the hamburgers off the grill to rest.
That rest time for the hamburgers is 5 minutes which is enough time to grill up the buns.
Homemade Hamburger FAQS
No! Hamburgers are not meatloaf or meatballs (which have binders but merely for flavor or to bulk up portions). Hamburgers hold their shape on their own and do not need any binders to help with this.
If you want to make your homemade hamburgers juicy, there are just two things you have to remember. First, you must use ground beef with fat in it.
A blend of 80/20 ground beef (which means 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat) will always give you juicy burgers. If you are using lean ground beef to make hamburgers, you are just not going to have a juicy burger.
The second thing that makes a juicy burger is not overcooking the burger. Cooking a hamburger beyond a temperature of medium (which is a solid warm pink center) will begin to dry out the burger.
No. A homemade beef patty that you make for hamburgers is made with just ground beef and seasoning. No binders like eggs are needed.
More Meaty Recipes You May Like
If you love this hamburger recipe, you may also like these:
- Turkey Patties
- Chorizo and Pork Burger
- Italian Meatballs
- Italian Burgers
- Grilled T-Bone Steak
- Grilled Pork Chops
Our Favorite Hamburger Patty Recipe (Perfect Burgers)
- 2 lbs ground hamburger meat 80/20 blend and the best quality ground beef you can find.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Divide your ground beef evenly into 4 sections.2 lbs ground hamburger meat
- Roll the divided ground beef into 4 balls, smoothing out any rough edges and then place on a large plate.
- Press the hamburger balls down until the thickness is about ¾ inches thick.
- With your finger tips, gently press a well into the centers of the hamburger patties, pressing only about half way down the middle of the patties.
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl.1 teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon onion powder, ⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Sprinkle seasoning on patties and cook using your preferred cooking method.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place hamburger patties on grill and close the lid.
- Cook the first side for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, flip the burgers and cook for another 4 minutes with the lid closed.
- Remove from the grill and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium- medium rare burger.
Pan Frying Instructions
- Pre-heat a large flat bottom griddle or pan on medium heat.
- Add the burgers to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes on the second side.
- Remove from the pan and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium burger.
Air fryer Instructions
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Place patties inside air fryer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After a total of 10 minutes, remove from the air fryer and cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will yield a medium burger.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!