This simple and creamy tahini yogurt sauce is loaded with flavor and so easy to make. With tahini, Greek yogurt, and some spices, you can make a delicious sauce for veggies, chicken, falafel or anything that needs a savory sauce.
Yogurt sauce is one of those really versatile sauces that can be paired with almost any meal. This Mediterranean version of yogurt sauce uses tahini and spices for a really delicious flavor.
You only need a few ingredients and just 2 minutes of your time to make this delicious sauce. I will show you how to make it the way we do and some of the best things to serve with yogurt sauce below.
- Tahini. This Middle Eastern sesame paste can be found in the International section of the grocery store.
- Greek yogurt. I prefer Greek yogurt because it has a tangy texture and is very thick. You can use regular yogurt as well.
- Lemon. This brightens the flavor of the sauce and lightens up the consistency of the sauce.
- Spices: ground cumin, garlic powder, and kosher salt all add that Middle Eastern flavor.
- Olive oil. This adds an earthy note to the sauce and helps thin it out.
- Water. For thinning.
Adjusting the consistency of yogurt sauce
This tahini yogurt sauce or any yogurt sauce will start out very thick. You mix water slowly into the yogurt sauce to adjust the consistency and thin it out until it reaches a consistency that you like.
After the water is added, make sure to taste for any additional seasoning.
Making tahini yogurt sauce
This is very simple.
- Juice lemons: Juice the lemons making sure to remove any seeds.
- Add ingredients: Add the ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Mix: Mix it all together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve: Serve right away or store covered in the fridge.
Recipe Tip: This yogurt sauce tastes best when it has had time to sit for a little bit to allow the flavors to come together. If you can, give it about 30 minutes to an hour covered in the fridge for the best taste.
How to use tahini yogurt sauce?
The uses for this delicious sauce are endless in my opinion! It is so delicious with so many meals like baked Greek chicken or with a Mediterranean bean salad. Here are some more of our favorite things to pair with it:
Easy Tahini and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup water for thinning
- 4 tablespoon Tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Cumin powder
- Add all of the ingredients (except the water) to a medium bowl.1 ½ cups Greek yogurt, 4 tablespoon Tahini paste, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon Olive oil, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon Garlic powder, ⅛ teaspoon Cumin powder
- Mix well until smooth.
- Slowly add the water mixing constantly until the yogurt sauce is the consistency you like.¼ cup water
- Taste for any additional seasoning.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes covered.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!