A Chacarero sandwich is a Chilean sandwich made up of meat, green beans, fresh avocado, cheese and tomato. It is loaded with amazing flavor despite its simple ingredients. You can make this sandwich with beef (traditional), with no meat or with chicken as I did here.
Anyway you make it, it will be good! This is definitely a unique green bean recipe and a great sandwich.
You may not think of green beans and sandwiches as two things that go together but my first experience with this sandwich made me a true believer. Chileans are famous for their delicious sandwiches and this one is no different.
If you research this Chacarero sandwich or are in Chile ordering one from a restaurant, you will probably be served this sandwich with beef. I was fortunate enough to have ordered this for the first time from a local street vendor in Boston who served it either with beef, chicken or just meatless.
I always loved the vegetarian and chicken versions so I can honestly say nothing is lost without using beef. The ingredients in this are so simple but somehow they just all come together for such an amazing experience.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Chacarero with chicken:
- Chicken breasts.
- Green beans.
- Thick hoagie rolls or a thick bread like Naan that you can fold over.
- Muenster cheese.
- Adobo seasoning (this is a must and if you do not have it on hand I have included an easy homemade recipe for it below).
- Sliced tomatoes
That is it. This is definitely one of those meals that seems like it is too simple to be amazing but it really is amazing.
This makes a wonderful meal to make during grilling season because the chicken can be grilled outside and the rest of the sandwich is basic assembling and very light preperation of the ingredients.
I like to make this all year no matter what the weather. I just use my indoor grill pan for the grilling of the chicken.
Here are the steps to make this delicious grilled Chilean sandwich:
- Grab all of your ingredients that you need from the fridge.
- Pound out your chicken so that it is thin. Alternately, you can butterfly the chicken breast really thin.
- Season your chicken and set aside.
- Slice up your tomatoes and set aside.
- Boil your green beans and drain then set aside.
- Make your avocado mash.
- Grill up your chicken.
- Assemble your sandwiches.
I would definitely entertain with this dish because it is really delicious and simple. I also love serving up unexpected dishes to my guests so that they get to experience something new.
The sandwich is very filling and hearty so you do not need too much on the side with this. We actually just make this and nothing else when we are making this just for us.
This Chacarero is a really healthy alternative to grilled burgers and in my opinion even more delicious. Whether you are looking for a unique green bean recipe or a new sandwich to try this will be a hit.
Chacarero Sandwich with Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 8 slices of muenster cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups green beans
- 4 bulky rolls or 4 pieces of naan
- 2 avocados
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime
- Adobo seasoning
Recipe for Adobo Seasoning
- 4 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- Grab all of your ingredients for the recipe. Make your Adobo seasoning if you do not already have this.
- Prepare your chicken by pounding out the chicken very thin but not too thin (about ¼ inch thick). You can also butterfly your chicken really thin if that is easier.
- Sprinkle liberally 2 tablespoons of your Adobo seasoning all over the chicken (from and back) and set aside.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan on medium heat.
- Add your green beans to a medium pot filled with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook the green beans for about 4 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Slice your tomatoes.
- Remove the flesh of the avocados from the shell and add to a bowl.
- Add your lime juice and salt to the avocados and give them a good mash until it is all broken up and mostly smooth. Set aside.
- At this point your grill should be nice and hot.
- Spray or brush the grates of the grill or grill pan with a little vegetable oil.
- Add your chicken and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked all the way through.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill on to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
Assembling the Chacarero
- Place a sliced roll on a plate.
- Add 2 slices of your muenster cheese to the roll.
- Then add 2 slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle a little of your Adobo seasoning on the tomatoes.
- Add a chicken breast on top of the tomatoes.
- Add a ¼ of your green beans on top of your chicken.
- Sprinkle with a little more Adobo.
- Take the top of your roll and take a large heaping spoonful of your avocado mash and spread it around evenly.
- Place the top of the roll on the sandwich.
- Repeat these steps to make the rest of your Chacarero sandwiches.