Warm radicchio and arugula salad is a delicious roasted radicchio recipe that you need to add to your repertoire. Roasting the radicchio softens and reduces its bitterness while the addition of balsamic sweetens everything up.
Are you someone who passes through the produce isle, looks at the beautiful color of radicchio lettuce but passes on buying it because you just don't know what to do with it? Maybe you have never even tasted it so you don't plan it in your weekly shopping.
Well, if you are looking to try out new produce or need a radicchio recipe, this roasted radicchio salad is the perfect starter dish to begin with in the kitchen!
What is Radicchio?
Radicchio is a beautiful and tasty purple chicory plant that is similar to lettuce but that can also be quite bitter so you'll want to tame that. There are a few ways to decrease bitterness in vegetables.
The idea is similar to cooking Brussels sprouts with lemon to cut the bitterness of that vegetable. You can roast or grill it or add an ingredient that will offset it.
This radicchio salad mixes roasted radicchio with a non roasted arugula and then a dressing of warm balsamic that comes from the roasting part helps offset the bitterness. It essentially uses all the techniques to reduce bitterness of the radicchio and makes it taste amazing.
You can either grill or roast the radicchio for this recipe. If you grill it then just make sure to add a little of the balsamic vinegar to the radicchio before grilling and as soon as it comes off the grill. This will still give you the nice warmed vinegar you want for the dressing.
This radicchio salad recipe is served warm or at room temperature depending on how long you let the radicchio cool after coming out of the oven.
Additions to add to this radicchio salad:
This radicchio salad is really amazing as is but you could certainly add your own touches to it to make it your own or make it a light meal. Some suggestions of things you can add to the salad are:
- Cubed or shredded Italian cheese with it. I love adding shredded Parmesan to the radicchio.
- Crisped up bacon or pancetta.
- Apples or Pears
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Roasted Chickpeas
No matter what you choose, I guarantee you'll be incorporating this radicchio recipe into your weekly meals after trying this out!
More Sides Dish Ideas:
- Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- Oregano Crostini
- Delicious Bean Salad
- Sautéd Brussels Sprouts
- Italian Brussels Sprouts
- Greek Cucumber Salad
Warm Radicchio and Arugula Salad
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 head of radicchio If you are not familiar with radicchio, they are smaller than your normal heads of lettuce and have a deep purple color
- 1 small bag of arugula
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon good olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoon good shredded or cubed Parmesan
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- rinse and dry your arugula and radicchio
- cut the stem end off of your head of radicchio and then cut the head in half. Now cut out the thick core center out and discard
- Slice each half of the radicchio in half and separate the leaves out on to a large sheet pan
- Drizzle with your olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over the top
- Place in the oven to roast for about 10-15 minutes or until you start to see the radicchio brown on the edges but still has some shape.
- remove from the oven to cool for a few minutes
- In a large bowl add your arugula
- now scoop out your radicchio from the sheet pan and place on top of your arugula
- pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil from the sheet pan over top of the salad
- gently toss
- If you are using any Parmesan you can add that now
- serve immediately
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here