For years, my family has been cooking this amazing chicken and green beans stir fry and let me tell you that the simple name does not do it justice. Chinese chicken and green beans sounds so plain and ordinary but this dish is none of that! This Chinese chicken recipe is full of bold and delicious flavors and it rivals the best Chinese restaurants!
This chicken and green beans stir fry recipe will 100 percent impress everyone who tries it. This recipe originally comes from the website Chinese Grandma who was gracious enough to let me share it here and it has never failed us once!
We have put a few tweaks on it over time but it is still true to the original recipe.
The techniques used when cooking these green beans and chicken recipe are fairly straight forward. Once you begin working with this recipe, these steps will help you master a lot of Asian cooking techniques.
Most of this recipe is the preparation and the cooking portion goes very fast.
If you do not do lots of Asian style cooking, I like to emphasize that the bulk of the work is on the front end, or the preparation. This includes all the dicing, chopping and preparation of the ingredients.
Knowing this, this Chinese chicken makes a great meal to prep ahead of time and have all ready to cook when it is dinnertime.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast. This is cut into small pieces for fast cooking. You could also use chicken thigh meat if you prefer.
- Green beans. Any variety will do here.
- Soy sauce.
- Brown sugar
- Sherry or balsamic vinegar.
- Vegetable oil.
- Corn starch
It may seem like lots of ingredients but you probably have most of them in your pantry. Most of the ingredients are for the delicious sauce that coats the chicken and green beans.
I promise, this dish is worth gathering up the few extra ingredients. It is so good!
How To Make Chinese Chicken and Green Beans
- Prep the chicken and green beans.
- Make the delicious sauce.
- Cook green beans then set aside.
- Cook chicken and set aside.
- Cook sauce and reduce.
- Now mix the chicken and green beans with the sauce and coat well.
When making this Chinese chicken, after the prep part, you are stir frying all of the parts of the recipe separately in the same pan. At the end, the last thing to cook is the sauce which will reduce down a bit.
Once that happens, everything is added back to the pan re-heated and coated with that delicious sticky Chinese sauce that makes this meal so amazing.
What I love about this Chicken and Green Beans Recipe
One of the things I love about this recipe is it works with basic ingredients most people have or can get at the store. It does not take a lot of time to make which makes it a great dish for weekdays in addition to weekends.
In my opinion, it tastes so much better than chicken dishes from Chinese restaurants.
I also love making this dish in place of ordering out because for one, it is so much better than any takeout and second, it is easy to make.
We love making this dish from Chinese Grandma on Fridays or on the weekend because it really tastes like a special meal. You can make it anytime though, depending on your mood.
This Chinese chicken with green beans is a great meal on its own but we love serving it alongside these recipes too:
If you like this Chicken and Green Beans Stir Fry, You might want to check out
- Easy Weeknight Korean Beef
- Pepper steak
- Spaghetti with Pork Bolognese
- Indian Garlic Soup
- Venezuelan Arepas (cornmeal sandwiches stuffed with meat and cheese!)
- Mushroom and Herb Pizza
- Loaded sheet Pan Nachos
- Seared Steak with Mushroom Cognac Sauce
- Juicy Boneless Pork Chops (as good as what you find at a steakhouse.
- Chicken and Basil Stir Fry
- Harissa Green Beans
I hope you try this one out. Once you try this amazing dish I am sure you will be hooked!
Chinese Chicken with Green Beans
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast about 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 pound green beans I buy 1 bag at the store
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry I sometimes use balsamic vinegar if I don't have Sherry on hand
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated fine
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds optional but recomended
- Snap the ends of of the green beans.1 pound green beans
- Dice chicken into ½-inch pieces then add to a bowl1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- Add marinade ingredients to chicken5 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sherry, 2 cloves garlic
- Mix well then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Prepare stir fry sauce
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sherry, ginger and garlic to a small bowl.2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 5 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon dry sherry, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, 2 cloves garlic
- Add cornstarch and stir well.1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in an large skillet over medium-high heat4 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- Add green beans. You will hear lots of sizzling here. Use long tongs to turn beans over while cooking so that they do not burn
- Remove green beans from the pan and set aside.
- Add remainder of oil to the pan.
- Add chicken and stir to separate pieces until fully cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add stir fry sauce to pan and mix it in well.
- Add green beans back to the pan and toss well making sure to coat the green beans in the sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Serve immediately with a side of rice
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
This was absolutely delicious! Will be making it often
Love hearing that 🙂
Well this was certainly good!