This Pimento cheese sandwich is a really easy treat to make and so absolutely delicious! It all starts with a simple and easy homemade pimento cheese where no cooking is required. Then the pimento cheese is spread over white bread with sliced tomatoes added for the most delicious no-cook meal or appetizer that everyone will love. This pimento cheese recipe will be a new favorite once you try it.
Why I love this easy pimento cheese sandwich
This pimento cheese sandwich recipe is so easy that you would not believe it until you make it. Making homemade pimento cheese requires only a few ingredients that are added to a bowl and mixed together (either by hand or with a hand mixer.)
If you are not familiar with pimento cheese, it really is a Southern thing and it can be served as a dip or on a sandwich and it has the most amazing flavor. I love it both ways!
Pimento cheese sandwiches are a classic sandwich at the Masters at the Augusta National Tournament in Georgia too. If you want to bring that experience home with you, then you should make these sandwiches. It takes just minutes to whip up this easy sandwich.
I love making these little sandwiches to serve alongside some collard greens with bacon, Southern green beans, easy carrot cake, and fluffy biscuits for a full Southern experience. You can also go the route of serving these sandwiches with other bite-sized foods like my mini cheesecake bites or creamy lemon bars for an easy entertaining kind of event. Round it off with a classic bramble cocktail and you are all set for an amazing evening!
What Brand of Mayonnaise to use When Making Pimento Cheese
Traditionally, because pimento cheese is a Southern recipe, it uses Duke's mayonnaise. Dukes mayonnaise is a Southern staple but not one that I grew up with.
I prefer Hellman's mayonnaise so that is what I used here. If you prefer Duke's mayo, please feel free to use that or your favorite mayonnaise.
Ingredients for these pimento cheese sandwiches
- Cheddar cheese. I like to use a sharp cheddar but you can also use a more mild cheddar if you prefer. You want to use a block of cheddar that you grate not the pre-shredded stuff.
- Red Pimento Peppers (they can be found in jars in your grocery store)
- Cream cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Small brioche buns. You could also use white sandwich bread which is classic when making these cheese sandwiches.
- Black Pepper. Optional. If you like a little pepper in your food, go ahead and add that in to taste.
- Kosher salt. To taste. I find I usually do not need any salt but taste the pimento cheese and see if you need any.
For the pimento cheese sandwiches, I really like little small bite-sized portions that you can eat one or more depending on your mood. My local grocery store sells little brioche buns which are perfect for this.
Tips for making this pimento cheese sandwich
You can use soft white sandwich bread or dinner rolls. There is no wrong way to do this.
The sandwich only has the pimento cheese and a sliced tomato with a little kosher salt and pepper on it. Really simple and fresh and just the best summer recipe!
You can omit the tomato part if that is not your thing. This is all about the pimento cheese so the tomato is just the icing on top!
The steps to making this pimento cheese sandwich are as easy as the ingredients. As I said earlier, there is no cooking whatsoever! I love recipes like this.
How to make a pimento cheese sandwich
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature
- Now grate your cheddar cheese
- Dice up your pimento peppers.
- Add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, pimentos, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and mayonnaise into a large bowl.
- Mix them together with a hand mixer or by hand to make a dip. Make sure not to use a blender or food processor because that will make it too creamy. You are looking for texture in your pimento cheese.
- Cut your rolls in half.
- Spread some pimento cheese on each roll or on a slice of bread.
- Top with tomatoes and then place the top of the roll or bread on top.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
I like to make sure that I have a little extra pimento cheese for the fridge for a quick nibble or appetizer throughout the week. When you taste how good this stuff is you will want to do that too!
Just reserve a little in a separate container if you can.
What to serve with pimento cheese
I like to serve this in the summer on the patio with a nice glass of rose or an easy cocktail like my St. Germain and Grapefruit tonic.
You can make an entire meal out of this and serve a light salad on the side like this spinach and mushroom salad.
Maybe you want to complete the whole summer theme and serve up some cherry limeade to go with it.
Or just on its own because it really does not need anything else!
Some more tips and ideas when making this pimento cheese recipe
- Do make a little extra. This homemade pimento cheese will last up to a week in the fridge and makes the most delicious snack or quick meal.
- If you are a more is better person (like me) please refrain from adding more pimentos than the recipe calls for. I tried this and can tell you that it will make your cheese spread too oily. The amount of pimento in the recipe is perfect!
- This is a great cheese spread to dip pita chips or soft pretzels knots into if you are looking for a delicious dip idea. You can also add this cheese mixture to saltine crackers or for dipping if you want to keep things traditional.
- You can switch things up a bit and use pepper jack cheese along with the cheddar for a spiced-up version of this sandwich.
Try out this delicious and easy summer recipe and I know you will be hooked.
Yes. Just add the cheese mixture onto sliced bread and cook the sandwich the same way you would make regular grilled cheese. The mixture will be nice and soft when it is done.
To prevent the sandwiches from getting mushy, it is best to make them shortly before you are ready to eat them. The pimento cheese mixture can be made ahead of time.
Saltines are a classic cracker served with pimento cheese. You can also use traditional Ritz crackers.
More delicious dips
If you love this pimento cheese sandwich, you may also love these recipes:
More Ways to Enjoy These Sandwiches
We love sandwiches and love serving them up for all occasions. Here is how we do that:
- For Game Day: We love making a spread of Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches or Chilean Chicken Sandwich (Chacarero) or Venezuelan Arepas or Rotisserie Chicken Sandwiches
- For easy appetizers: We love serving these sandwiches to go with Pot Roast Sandwiches or Pulled Pork Sliders and even Easy Philly Cheesesteaks
- For a quick family dinner: We make little bites for the family and serve up these sandwiches to go with Poblano Pepper Quesadillas or Air Fryer Quesadillas
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 ounces cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar the sharper the better. Make sure to buy a block of cheddar that you grate and not pre-grated cheddar. The pre-grated cheddar as a coating on the outside that is not good for the recipe.
- ½ cup Hellmans Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 ounces diced pimentos
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
For Making the Sandwiches
- 12 small brioche or dinner rolls. You can also use white sandwich bread.
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced.
- salt and pepper for the tomatoes
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature.
- Dice up your pimentos.
- Shred your cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients.
- With a hand mixer, mix the ingredients just until it is all incorporated.
- Slice your rolls in half.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of your pimento cheese to the roll.
- Add a sliced tomato.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the tomato.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!