Pimento cheese sandwiches are a really easy treat to make and so absolutely delicious! It all starts with a simple and easy homemade pimento cheese where no cooking is required. Then the pimento cheese is spread over white bread with sliced tomatoes added for the most delicious no cook meal or appetizer that everyone will love. This pimento cheese recipe will be a new favorite once you try it.
About this easy pimento cheese spread
This pimento cheese recipe is so easy that you would not believe it until you make it. Making the homemade pimento cheese requires only a few ingredients that are added to a bowl and mixed together (either by hand or with a hand mixer. )
If you are not familiar with pimento cheese, it really is a Southern thing and it can be served as a dip or on a sandwich. I love it both ways!
I love making these little sandwiches to serve alongside some collard greens with bacon, Southern green beans , easy carrot cake and fluffy biscuits for a full Southern experience. You can also go the route of serving these sandwiches with other bite sized foods like my mini cheesecake bites or creamy lemon bars for an easy entertaining kind of event.
What Brand of Mayonnaise to use When Making Pimento Cheese
Traditionally, because pimento cheese is a Southern recipe, it uses Dukes mayonnaise. Dukes mayonnaise is a Southern staple but not one that I grew up with.
I prefer Hellmans mayonnaise so that is what I used here. If you prefer Duke's, please feel free to use that or use your favorite mayonnaise.
Ingredients for homemade pimento cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Pimentos (they can be found in jars in your grocery store)
- Cream cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
For the pimento cheese sandwiches, I really like little small bite sized portions that you can eat one or more depending on your mood. My local grocery store sells little brioche buns which are perfect for this.
Tips for making these pimento cheese sandwiches
You can use soft white sandwich bread or dinner rolls. There is no wrong way to do this.
The sandwich only has the pimento cheese and a sliced tomato with a little salt and pepper on it. Really simple and fresh and just the best summer recipe!
You can omit the tomato part if that is not your thing. This is all about the pimento cheese so the tomato is just the icing on top!
The steps to making this pimento cheese sandwich are as easy as the ingredients. As I said earlier, there is no cooking what so ever! I love recipes like this.
How to make pimento cheese sandwiches
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature
- Now grate your cheddar cheese
- Dice up your pimentos.
- Add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, pimentos, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, mayonnaise into a large bowl.
- Mix them together with a hand mixer or by hand to make a dip. Make sure not to use a blender or food processor because that will make it too creamy. You are looking for texture in your pimento cheese.
- Cut your rolls in half.
- Spread some pimento cheese on each roll.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
I like to make sure that I have a little extra pimento cheese for the fridge for a quick nibble or appetizer throughout the week. When you taste how good this stuff is you will want to do that too!
Just reserve a little in a separate container if you can.
Some pairing ideas
I like to serve this in the summer on the patio with a nice glass of rose or an easy cocktail like my St. Germain and Grapefruit tonic.
You can make an entire meal out of this and serve a light salad on the side like this spinach and mushroom salad.
Maybe you want to complete the whole summer theme and serve up some cherry limeade to go with it.
Or just on it's own because it really does not need anything else!
Some more tips and ideas when making this pimento cheese recipe
- Do make a little extra. This homemade pimento cheese will last up to a week in the fridge and makes the most delicious snack or quick meal.
- If you are a more is better person (like me) please refrain from adding more pimentos than the recipe calls for. I tried this and can tell you that it will make your cheese spread too oily. The amount of pimento in the recipe is perfect!
- This is great cheese spread to dip pita chips into if you are looking for a delicious dip idea. You can also use saltine crackers for dipping if you want to keep things traditional/
Try out this delicious and easy summer recipe and I know you will be hooked.
More delicious dips
If you love this pimento cheese dip, you may also love these recipes:
More Sandwich Ideas:
- Italian Roast Beef Sandwich
- Chilean Chicken Sandwich (Chacarero)
- Stained Glass Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- Venezuelan Arepas
- Rotisserie Chicken Sandwiches
- Poblano Pepper Quesadillas
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Easy Philly Cheesesteaks
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches with Tomatoes
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 8 ounces cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar the sharper the better. Make sure to buy a block of cheddar that you grate and not pre-grated cheddar. The pre-grated cheddar as a coating on the outside that is not good for the recipe.
- ½ cup Hellmans Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 ounces diced pimentos
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
For Making the Sandwiches
- 12 small brioche or dinner rolls. You can also use white sandwich bread.
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced.
- salt and pepper for the tomatoes
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature.
- Dice up your pimentos.
- Shred your cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients.
- With a hand mixer, mix the ingredients just until it is all incorporated.
- Slice your rolls in half.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of your pimento cheese to the roll.
- Add a sliced tomato.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the tomato.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
These were delish!