Pimento cheese sandwiches are a really easy treat to make and so absolutely delicious! There is no cooking required for this pimento cheese meal making it the perfect summer recipe that everyone will love.
This pimento cheese recipe is so easy that you would not believe it until you make it. It requires a few ingredients that are added to a bowl and then mixed together either by hand or with a hand mixer.
If you are not familiar with pimento cheese, it really is a Southern thing and it can be served as a dip or on a sandwich. I love it both ways!
Traditionally, because pimento cheese is a Southern recipe, it uses Dukes mayonnaise. Dukes mayonnaise is a Southern staple but not one that I grew up with.
I prefer Hellmans mayonnaise so that is what I used here. If you prefer Duke's, please feel free to use that or use your favorite mayonnaise.
Here are the ingredients you will need to the pimento cheese:
- Cheddar cheese
- Pimentos (they can be found in jars in your grocery store)
- Cream cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
For the sandwiches, I really like little small sized portions that you can eat one or more depending on your mood. My local grocery store sells little brioche buns which was perfect for this.
You can also use soft white sandwich bread or dinner rolls. There is no wrong way to do this.
The sandwich only has the pimento cheese and a sliced tomato with a little salt and pepper on it. Really simple and fresh and just the best summer recipe!
You can omit the tomato part if that is not your thing. This is all about the pimento cheese so the tomato is just the icing on top!
The steps to making this pimento cheese sandwich are as easy as the ingredients. As I said earlier, there is no cooking what so ever! I love recipes like this.
Here are the steps to making these pimento cheese sandwiches:
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature
- Now grate your cheddar cheese
- Dice up your pimentos.
- Add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, pimentos, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, mayonnaise into a large bowl.
- Mix them together with a hand mixer or by hand to make a dip. Make sure not to use a blender or food processor because that will make it too creamy. You are looking for texture in your pimento cheese.
- Cut your rolls in half.
- Spread some pimento cheese on each roll.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
I like to make sure that I have a little extra pimento cheese for the fridge for a quick nibble or appetizer throughout the week. When you taste how good this stuff is you will want to do that too! Just reserve a little in a separate container if you can.
Some pairing ideas for this sandwich:
I like to serve this in the summer on the patio with a nice glass of rose or an easy cocktail like my St. Germain and Grapefruit tonic.
You can make an entire meal out of this by serving a light salad on the side like this spinach and mushroom salad.
Maybe you want to complete the whole summer theme and serve up some homemade cherry limeade to go with it.
Or just on it's own because it really does not need anything else!
Try out this delicious and easy summer recipe and you will be hooked.
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches with Tomatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar the sharper the better. Make sure to buy a block of cheddar that you grate and not pre-grated cheddar. The pre-grated cheddar as a coating on the outside that is not good for the recipe.
- ½ cup Hellmans Mayonnaise
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 5 ounces diced pimentos
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
For Making the Sandwiches
- 12 small brioche or dinner rolls. You can also use white sandwich bread.
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced.
- salt and pepper for the tomatoes
- Bring your cream cheese to room temperature.
- Dice up your pimentos.
- Shred your cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients.
- With a hand mixer, mix the ingredients just until it is all incorporated.
- Slice your rolls in half.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons of your pimento cheese to the roll.
- Add a sliced tomato.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the tomato.
- Serve immediately.