Sometimes simple is just the best and this simple spinach and mushroom salad is no exception. The mushrooms in this recipe are soaked for a short bit in lemon water to take that raw flavor away and the dijon dressing just really brings it all together.
This spinach and mushroom salad is as easy as it gets. With store bought bagged baby spinach and pre-sliced mushrooms, this easy spinach salad is going to be mostly just assembling.
I am not a huge fan of salads because I find they can be a bit boring. I will usually gravitate to salad recipe like my roasted radicchio salad or my kale and Parmesan salad that are not as traditional and not boring.
This spinach salad is actually one I really like despite its simplistic ingredients.
Soaking the mushrooms in this spinach salad:
This spinach and mushroom salad is a classic Italian way to make spinach salads. My favorite part about this spinach salad is the soaking of the mushrooms in lemon water to soften them up and take away that raw flavor.
The mushrooms almost cook a little bit in the lemon water. You only need about five minutes to soak them making this a great quick side salad to add to so many meals.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Spinach Salad:
- Baby spinach (already washed a ready to eat in a bag).
- Button mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
This spinach and mushroom salad has a really simple dijon dressing and it really compliments the spinach and mushrooms. You only need a little dijon, olive oil and lemon to make this.
This dressing is so good on so many things. I even use this same combination of flavors as a marinade for my dijon steak skewers.
This easy Italian salad makes the perfect side to so many dishes. It can also be made as a light lunch or a quick iron boosting salad to increase energy. I will often make this salad and my iron boosting green juice when I am feeling sluggish.
Here are my favorite meal ideas that go well with this Italian salad:
- Dijon Steak skewers. This is the dish I mentioned earlier in the post that uses the same combination of flavors in the marinade (dijon, lemon and olive oil).
- Broken Noodles with Sausage
- Chicken Tarragon
- Citrus Chicken Skewers
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (spaghetti with garlic and olive oil)
- Beef Brisket
- Italian Meatballs
This dish will take only 5 minutes to prepare and will definitely be hit with everyone!
Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- 1 bag of pre-washed baby spinach about 8 ounces or 5 big handfuls
- 2 small lemons
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 1 small container of white mushrooms (cleaned) about 5 ounces
- 4 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fill a medium bowl with 3 cups of water and squeeze 1 lemon into the water.
- Slice your mushrooms and add them into the lemon water bowl and lightly mix and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add your olive oil, dijon, salt and juice of 1 lemon and pepper to taste then whisk until it all comes together.
- Drain your mushrooms and add them to the bowl along with your baby spinach.
- Toss the dressing and your salad together and serve immediately
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here