Sometimes simple is just the best and this simple spinach salad with mushrooms is no exception. It has very few ingredients (spinach, mushrooms, dijon mustard and lemon), but they all work so well together and it makes the perfect side to so many meals. We love serving this alongside veggie meat sauce or garlic and olive oil pasta for a quick complete meal.
Why You'll Love This Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- Easy: This spinach and mushroom salad is as easy as it gets. It really makes the perfect side salad for any meal. With store-bought bagged baby spinach and pre-sliced mushrooms, this easy spinach salad is going to be mostly just assembling.
- Great flavor: Spinach and mushrooms combined. with a delicious simple dijon vinaigrette are a perfect match and why I love this salad so much.
- Versatile: This mushroom salad not only makes a great side dish but also a great base for your favorite proteins.
If you are still not sure if you should make this, just know that I am not a huge fan of salads because I find they can be a bit boring. I will usually gravitate to salad recipes like my chopped kale and carrot salad, roasted radicchio salad, or chickpea salad that are not as traditional and not boring.
This is my go to spinach salad that I always make (and really love) despite its simplistic ingredients.
Spinach Salad With Mushrooms Ingredients
Here is what you will need and you can see it is not fussy at all.
- Baby spinach (washed): You want to use baby spinach since it is more tender. It makes the salad.
- Button mushrooms: This is the mushrooms portion of the recipe.
- Lemon: The lemon is used for soaking the mushrooms and for the dressing.
- Water: This is for soaking the mushrooms.
- Dijon: Dijon is the main flavor for the dressing and the perfect flavor pairing for the spinach.
- Olive oil: A little is added to the dressing and to thin the dijon.
- Salt and Pepper
I almost always have most of the ingredients on hand and will just need to pick up the spinach and mushrooms from the store.
Making this easy spinach salad
This salad is so simple. You are just soaking the mushrooms in a lemon water bath then making the vinaigrette and then assembling. Here are some of my tried and true tips and additions.
Soaking mushrooms: This spinach and mushroom salad is a classic Italian way to make a spinach salad. You only need about five minutes to soak them which takes out that raw flavor from the mushroomsThis really makes all the difference in this recipe so don't skip this step.
Now I do love this salad as is but it also makes a really delicious base salad that you can add so many great things to if you want to make this into a meal. Here are my favorite ways to do that.
- Grilled chicken. I love making my blackened chicken or lemon butter chicken to go with this salad.
- Steak. A perfect grilled T-bone steak is a great match for this salad. This combo is also a really big powerhouse of iron!
- Fruit. Adding sliced fruit like pears or apples is really delicious with this salad. The sweetness from the fruit and the tangy flavor from the dijon are great together.
- Nuts and cheese. Walnuts, pecans, or any nut always make a great addition to this salad.
What to serve with this simple spinach salad
- Dijon Steak skewers. This uses the same combination of flavors in the marinade (dijon, lemon and olive oil).
- Broken Noodles with Sausage
- Chicken Tarragon
- Baked Greek Chicken
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (spaghetti with garlic and olive oil)
- Beef Brisket
- Italian Meatballs
- French Beef Stew
- Dutch Oven Beef Stew
This spinach salad with mushrooms will take only 5 minutes to prepare and will definitely be a hit with everyone!
Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 5 ounces small container of white mushrooms (cleaned) sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 small lemons juiced
- 4 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fill a medium bowl with water and squeeze 1 lemon into the water.3 cups water, 2 small lemons
- Add mushrooms to the lemon water bowl and lightly mix and set aside.5 ounces small container of white mushrooms (cleaned)
- In a large salad bowl, add your olive oil, dijon, salt and juice of 1 lemon and pepper to taste then whisk until it all comes together.2 small lemons, 4 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon dijon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, fresh ground pepper to taste
- Drain your mushrooms and add them to the bowl along with your baby spinach.8 ounces baby spinach
- Toss the dressing and your salad together and serve immediately
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!