Easy, big on flavor and delicious pot roast sandwiches are the perfect meaty sandwich and perfect for using up leftover pot roast. Making this pot roast sandwich is not just great for leftovers, we love making these sandwiches year-round since the pot roast is made in the slow cooker and almost effortless. This will be a sandwich everyone will love.
I never thought about a pot roast sandwich until recently when I wanted a nice meaty sandwich that I could make for dinner during the warmer months when we wanted a hearty meal after swimming. Who wouldn't love a meaty pot roast sandwich after a long day swimming when you've built up a big appetite.
Not only was this easy pot roast sandwich a great idea for a hearty meal but it is economical too since we are using chuck roast. Of course, to keep it simple, we use a slow cooker to make the pot roast so this recipe can be made year-round and there are no worries with heating up the kitchen in the warmer months.
I just love making a nice hearty sandwich for mealtime time and if you have tried my Chacarero sandwich, pimento cheese sandwich, Philly cheesesteak , pulled pork sliders, or my rotisserie chicken sandwich, you know what I mean 🙂 If you love French dips, you will love this chuck roast sandwich too (maybe even more.)
How to make a pot roast sandwich
- Chuck roast
- Hoagie rolls
- American cheese. I prefer using American cheese for these chuck roast sandwiches because it is milder in flavor and melts well.
- Spices (fresh garlic, sweet paprika, kosher salt)
- Butter. For buttering the hoagie rolls.
To make a pot roast sandwich, you of course need to start out with tender and juicy pot roast. If you already have a pot roast that is cooked, I will show you how to make a delicious sauce that will make this shredded pot roast so delicious and tender. If you need a pot roast recipe, we have got that covered too!
If you are making the pot roast for this sandwich, the first thing you want to do is make your seasoning blend and then coat the chuck roast really well with it. This is the flavor for the pot roast sandwich and it is amazing.
This is actually the same spice blend I use for our brisket recipe and it is always a crowd-pleaser.
Now you want to sear that deliciously coated pot roast in a hot pan. This may be an extra step but it will add so much flavor to the sauce that the pot roast cooks in, trust me. Once the chuck roast is nice and browned, just place it into the slow cooker.
After you remove the chuck roast from the pan, add some water and de-glaze the pan so it picks up all of that delicious flavor and garlic that was left behind. Now go ahead and pour this over the pot roast and cook the roast for about 6 hours on low heat.
Shredding the pot roast for the sandwiches
When you make a pot roast, you are working with fork-tender meat. For these pot roast sandwiches, you are going to shred the fork-tender meat even more.
Think of this as a shredded meat sandwich 🙂 We are not going to stop there.
Once the meat is all nice and shredded, you add it back into the slow cooker and into the delicious juices to sit for about 30 minutes. Keep the slow cooker set to warm at this point.
You want that shredded pot roast to pick up all that yummy flavor. Those juices and that flavor are what make these pot roast sandwiches so good.
Assembling these pot roast sandwiches
Now that the pot roast is cooked to fork-tender perfection, shredded and marinated in all of those delicious pan juices, it is time to make the sandwiches!
- The first thing you want to do when putting together the pot roast sandwiches is butter some hoagie rolls that are cut in half lengthwise. I prefer hoagie rolls for these meaty sandwiches because they can hold up to the juicy meat.
- Now you want to place the cheese over the area that you buttered.
- Place under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes to brown the rolls and melt the cheese.
- Once the rolls are ready, you can start to pile on the shredded pot roast on to the rolls. I like to use tongs for this so I am not scooping up to much of the sauce. The meat is plenty juicy.
Making the sandwiches with leftover pot roast
If you already have leftover pot roast all cooked up and want to make the sandwiches, you only need to follow these steps:
- Saute the garlic in olive oil.
- Add paprika and salt to the pan and mix well.
- Now deglaze the pan with some water and mix well.
- Add shredded pot roast into this mixture and cook on low for about 15 minutes.
- Follow the steps to assemble the pot roast sandwich the same way after this.
I think (and so does my whole family) that these pot roast sandwiches are amazing as is but you can certainly add some more toppings to these sandwiches if you like. Here are some ideas:
- Pickles onions
- Refrigerator pickles
- Poblano sauce
- Creamy sriracha mayo
- Avocado slices
- Cumin and lime coleslaw
- Homemade Au Jus
What to serve with these chuck roast sandwiches
You can check out our pulled pork side dishes for some side dish recipe inspiration. Below are some more of our favorite things to serve with these pot roast sandwiches:
More like this
If you love these easy slow cooker sandwiches, you may also like these:
Pot Roast Sandwich
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- Slow Cooker
- 3 lb Chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 6 cloves garlic diced finely
- ¼ cup sweet paprika If you prefer a slight smoky flavor, you can use smoked paprika.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil for searing pot roast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Pot roast sandwiches
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices of American cheese
- ¼ cup butter softened
Making the pot roast
- Grab a large bowl and add your diced garlic, salt and paprika.6 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, ¼ cup sweet paprika
- Crush down the garlic into the paprika and salt mixture to release the juices from the garlic.
- Pre-heat a heavy bottom pan over the stove on medium heat.
- Take your chuck roast and press it into your spice mixture making sure to coat the whole roast. You may have to pick up some of the spice mixture and press it on to the meat.3 lb Chuck roast
- Once your pot is pre-heated, add your olive oil.2 tablespoon olive oil
- Now add your chuck roast and sear all sides well.
- Once you have seared all sides of the meat, place the chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- In the same pan you seared the meat, add the water and deglaze the pant. Let it bubble up and scrape down any brown bits from the bottom.1 cup water
- Pour the liquid from deglazing over top of your chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it to low and cook for about 6 hours or until is is fork tender and shreds easily.
- Once tender, remove roast from the slow cooker on to a plate.
- With two forks, shred the pot roast making sure to remove any excess fat.
- Place shredded pot roast back into the slow cooker (set to warm) with the pan juices and mix well.
- Pre-heat the broiler in your oven.
- Slice hoagie rolls in half lengthwise.4 hoagie rolls
- Place hoagie rolls on to a large sheet pan.
- Now butter the inside of the hoagie rolls.¼ cup butter
- Add cheese slices on top of the buttered rolls.8 slices of American cheese
- Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and begin to scoop the shredded meat and place it evenly on the rolls.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here