This oven baked salmon in cast iron is the most delicious and best way to cook up salmon. When you cook salmon in cast iron in the oven, the skin gets nice and crisp and the salmon comes out so tender and delicious. The dijon topping for this oven baked salmon is so easy to make too and really big on flavor. I highly recommend making this cast iron salmon so you can see how delicious it is and how easy making an amazing salmon dinner can be.
Just recently I tried out cooking salmon in a cast iron skillet in the oven and honestly, I wish I did this sooner. Cooking salmon in cast iron in the oven keeps the salmon filets really tender and it also makes for a quick and simple meal that is ready in 15 minutes.
The one thing you need to do is to ensure the cast iron pan is nice and hot. To do this, you will need to pre-heat it in an oven before adding the salmon.
You only need about 10 minutes for this.
There are only a few ingredients needed to throw this super simple cast iron salmon together and have it on the table.
- Salmon filets. About 1 inch thick.
- Dijon mustard.
- Olive oil.
- Spices (salt, pepper and sweet paprika).
- Lemon slices. Optional
I like to add lemon slices to the top of my salmon when it is done cooking. It looks pretty and the lemon will impart some of its juices adding a little more flavor.
If you do not have lemon that is ok. This oven baked dijon salmon will taste amazing without it.
How to make oven baked cast iron salmon
The first thing you want to do is pre-heat the cast iron skillet in the oven. I like to pre-heat the cast iron for about 10 minutes.
After you have done that, you make the dijon topping for the salmon. This is merely mixing the dijon, olive oil and spices together.
Once the dijon topping is made, you can spoon the dijon dressing over the salmon filets. The topping is somewhat thick and it will stick tot he top of the salmon when cooking.
This gives the most delicious flavor to each bite of salmon when you eat it!
Once the cast iron skillet is pre-heated and the salmon is nice and coated with the delicious dijon topping, you can now add the salmon to the hot cast iron.
Be careful during this step since the cast iron is hot! I like to use a fish spatula to place the salmon filets in the pan.
You will hear the skin sizzle as it hits the cast iron. That is a great sound!
What to serve with this oven baked salmon in cast iron
Now that you have made the most delicious and easy salmon ever, you may need some equally delicious sides to go with it. Here are my favorites to go with this salmon.
- Oven roasted garlic green beans. This is one of my favorites and it involves just green beans, garlic and olive oil roasted to crispy perfection in the same hot oven that the salmon cooks.
- Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
- Fluffy Basmati Rice
- Roasted Broccolini
- Charred Broccoli
- Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
If you like the dijon topping on this cast iron baked salmon, you should check out my Dijon steak tips recipe. Same great topping but on steak!
Oven Baked Salmon in Cast Iron
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 large cast iron skillet
- 4 salmon filets about 1 inch thick
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon Freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt.
- lemon slices for serving (oprional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cast iron in oven for 10 minutes to pre-heat.
- Make dijon topping my mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.¼ cup Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon Olive oil, ⅛ teaspoon Sweet paprika, ⅛ teaspoon Freshly cracked black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt.
- Place salmon filets on a plate and pat dry with paper towels.4 salmon filets
- Add dijon topping to the tops of salmon filets making sure to cover the entire top.
- Once the cast iron skillet is pre-heated, remove it from the oven with oven mitts.
- Carefully place salmon skin side down in skillet and place in the oven on middle rack.
- Cook salmon for 15 minutes or until it is cooked all the way through with an internal temperature of the thickest part reaching about 145 degrees.
- Once fully cooked add lemon slices to top of salmon and serve immediately.lemon slices
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here