These easy dijon steak skewers are my favorite way to make steak. Because they are steak tips, they cook up quickly and the easy steak marinade made with dijon mustard is so delicious. This is one of my favorite dijon mustard recipes.
I have cooked this on the grill, in the oven and on the frying pan, all with great success. This recipe will have you buying dijon mustard just to make this because it is that good. Trust me.
Now I am not sure how it has taken me so long to write up this recipe because I have been making this dish for years and literally, everyone loves it! I actually started cooking this recipe after going to a friend's cookout years ago.
I couldn't believe how simple and amazing a steak marinade made from Dijon mustard could be on steak.
The two things that are going to make your dijon steak tips amazing are the marinade and the cut of steak.
For this easy steak marinade you will need:
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
I told you this was an easy steak marinade! This marinade can be made ahead of time and the steaks can sit in the marinade for days and only taste better!
I like to use ziploc style bags when I marinate my meat. It allows me to quivkly throw all my ingredients into one container and then seal it up and massage the marinade all over the meat.
You can use whatever you have on hand though to do this part of the recipe.
Here are the steps to putting your ingredients together:
You will first want to gather all of your ingredients. Pretty straight forward!
You then want to add everything into your ziploc bag. You do not have to be neat, just throw it all in!
Now you just add your steak into the bag with all of the ingredients and seal the bag making sure to burp out a little air from the bag. Once it is nice and sealed go ahead and start massaging the steak and marinade together by holding the outside of bag and mixing the ingredients all around.
Place the bag in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight. You can even do this 2 days in advance and it will taste even better.
Now that I have explained the marinade, the next important step is knowing the best cuts of steak to use for skewers. If you want to use this dijon marinade for a regular steak that has not been cut into tips then you can just skip this part.
When using skewers, it is always best to use a leaner cut of meat since the cooking time is fast. If you have steak with lots of marbeling you will not have time to cook off the fat inside of the meat. This will not taste very good biting into a mouthful of uncooked fat.
Find a nice lean cut, some store actaully sell packages of steak tips so you don;t have to worry about selecting the right cut of meat.
Here are my favorite cuts of meat to use for these dijon steak skewers:
- Tri-Tip steak
- NY strip steak (most of the fat is usually on the outside and easy to trim off). Even though this is more of a prime cut, I will cube up a couple steaks and add veggies to the skewer to bulk up the portion of food. So 2 steaks can feed 4 people! I will also make a quick spinach salad to go with it as well. The salad is another one of my dijon mustard recipes but I use the dijon in the dressing. So good!
- Any sirloin cut of meat.
If you follow this advice on choosing the best cuts of steak for your skewers, then you will be on the right track to not have dried out or chewy meat! This also applies to any dish that uses smaller cuts of meat. I make a pepper steak following this same idea.
Easy Dijon Steak Skewers
- skewers for grilling
- 1 pd steak tips cut into 1 inch squares see notes above for best cuts of steak to use.
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Grab a ziploc bag and add your dijon mustard, olive oil, slat, pepper and paprika.
- Now add your steak tips and seal the bag well.
- When sealing the bag make sure to burp out any air.
- Once your bag is sealed, grab the outside of the bag and mix the steak into the ingredients until all the steak is well coated. Don't rush this part. Do this for a couple minutes.
- Place your bag of steak tips into a bowl and marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
Grilling your steak tips
- Pre-heat your grill over medium heat.
- Grab 4 metal skewers or soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes in water and use those.
- Remove your steak tips from the fridge and start taking them out of the bag and adding them on the skewers.
- Do this until all of the steak is on the skewers.
- Once your grill is nice and hot, bring your skewers to the grill and place them on the grill.
- Close the lid and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, rotate the skewers and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from the grill on to a clean plate and cover with aluminum foil for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes of rest time for the steak tips is over, serve immediately.