Beurre manié is a French butter and flour thickener that consists of equal parts softened butter and flour. This flour and butter mixture is the best way to thicken soup and stew and very easy to make. This beurre manié recipe will show you how to make beurre manié so you can thicken your soups and stews perfectly each time.
About this butter and flour thickener
Beurre manié is a simple French way of thickening soups and stews. It requires equal parts room temperature butter and flour that are mixed together until completely smooth.
Beurre manié means "kneaded butter" in French and the traditional way of mixing the flour and butter was to knead them together by hand.
An easier way to make the beurre manié is to mix the flour and butter together in a bowl which is a lot less messy and very easy to do.
How to make Beurre Manié
To make beurre manié you first want to take out butter that you are going to use for this recipe and let it come to room temperature. You want the butter to become nice and soft so it mixes well with the flour.
Once the butter is at room temperature, add the butter and flour to a small bowl and begin to fold the flour and butter together with a spoon.
Do this for a few minutes until there is no more loose flour.
Once you have done that, use the spoon to mix the flour and butter together a little more. You want to mix for a good minute until it is completely smooth.
Faqs about beurre manié
For a large soup or stew I generally will use 2 tablespoons of butter and flour to make this thickener.
A roux is also a flour and butter thickener but the difference between that and beurre manie is that a roux is lightly cooked and beurre manie is not.
Recipes that use this flour and butter thickener
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 tablespoon Room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon All purpose flour
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of butter and place on the kitchen counter to come to room temperature.2 tablespoon Room temperature unsalted butter
- Once butter is room temperature (you should be able to press into the butter easily with your finger), add it to a small bowl.
- Now add the flour to the bowl with the butter.2 tablespoon All purpose flour
- Fold the flour and butter together with a spoon until all the flour is sticking to the butter.
- Now mix the flour and butter very well for about 1 minute until it forms a thick creamy paste.
- Add all of the beurre manié to soup or stew that you want to thicken a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here