Pepper Steak is one of my all time favorite dishes from my childhood. It is one of those classic dishes that people have been making for years and there are so many variations of it.
My favorite version is definitely this recipe which has all the classic items (steak, green and red peppers, garlic) but it also has fresh tomatoes which to me makes the dish amazing! I like to omit one classic item, which is onions because I am sensitive to them but you could add those in if you like. I just add extra garlic to make up for not having onions.
Pepper steak is really such an amazing dish. I like to make this dish during the week because it is so easy to prepare and it is ready in 30 minutes.
The ingredients you will need to make this Asian pepper steak are:
- green and red bell peppers
- onion (optional)
- mushrooms (optional)
- soy sauce
- corn starch
- fresh tomatoes
- salt and pepper
It also makes a great “make your own takeout” at home dish. Trust me, the ingredients and flavors will be better than anything you could order out.
I don’t know how authentic pepper steak is in Chinese culture but I do know it was always an option on Chinese restaurant menus and I always ordered it. At the restaurants, it is called Chinese pepper steak because of the red and green peppers added not black peppercorns like some people think.
Tips on how to cook this Chinese pepper steak at home and make it taste amazing:
- First you want to think about what cut of steak you are using for your Asian pepper steak. If it is a tough cut of meat to start with then you will need to. marinate that meat for a few hours to get it nice and tender. You can use the ingredients from the sauce below to do this.
- Next, If you are working with a lean and tender cut of meat (strip steak, filet or sirloin then you need to make sure you are not over cooking it. If cut into strips, you can sear the meat on a high heat for a couple minutes and once seared on all sides just cook for an additional few minutes.
For this pepper steak recipe, I chose steak tips because this is a tender cut of meat, it is already partially cut and it can stand up to a little more cooking than a strip steak or sirloin. I really love cooking with steak tips since it cuts down on the cooking time by quite a bit.
Another tip if you want fast cooking is to thinkabout choosing a tender cut of meat. This will mean less prep work and less cooking time.
I hope these tips on how to cook pepper steak are helpful and give you the confidence to make this at home. Once you give this a try and see just how delicious and easy it is to make, I know you will be hooked!
- 1 medium red pepper sliced thin
- 1 medium green pepper sliced thin
- 1 small package of cremini mushrooms sliced about 4 ounces
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb steak tips cut into small pieces about 1/2 inch
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes cut into quarters
- Pre-heat a large saute pan or wok over medium high heat
- carefully add 1 tbsp of your vegetable oil and let that heat nice and hot
- While your pan is pre-heating, prep your vegetables as listed above
- Once your pan is pre-heated, add your meat to the pan and sear for 3 minutes on first side
- Flip your meat over and sear the other side for another 2-3 minutes until it gets a nice brown color on the outside. If your meat has too much moisture, spoon out any liquid from your pan to ensure the meat sears properly.
- Once the meat is seared, remove from the pan on to a large plate and place the pan back over the heat.
- Now add the remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- Next, add your peppers and mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes flipping them occasionally
- Now add your garlic and cook for another 2 minutes
- While your garlic is cooking, take your cornstarch and 1 tbsp of your soy sauce and add that to a small bowl and mix well to form a slurry.
- Mix this slurry and the remaining soy sauce, quartered tomatoes and the seared meat into the pan of vegetables.
- Mix well and reduce heat to low.
- Cover your pan with a lid or aluminum foil and let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove lid and give the pepper steak a good stir.
- Add a pinch of salt and a few twists of fresh black pepper and taste for any additional seasoning needed
- Serve immediately along side white rice or your favorite side dish.