Italian basil mayonnaise is a really simple and delicious way to enjoy mayonnaise on your favorite sandwiches. This mayonnaise recipe starts with regular store bought mayonnaise and then adds bright vibrant flavors to make this traditional condiment taste out of this world delicious.
The ingredients you will need for this are:
- Mayonnaise (regular or low fat)
- fresh lemon
- fresh basil
I first started making this mayonnaise years ago with just lemon and no basil just to lighten up the heaviness that mayonnaise can impart. It really gives the mayonnaise a pick me up and makes any sandwiches that you make taste that much more delicious.
During basil season, I can’t resist using this fresh herb to brighten the mayonnaise even more! In fact, I can’t resist adding basil to almost everything from dips, to drinks to desserts! Basil really adds a beautiful background note to so many dishes.
If you want to try out more recipes with basil:
You may be wondering, am I going to taste a ton of basil or will the basil overpower my sandwich- The answer is not at all! This basil mayonnaise is light and bright and the basil lends a slight fresh and sweet note. You have to trust me on this!
What are some ways to use this basil mayonnaise?
- Use it on a BLT
- Use it on your favorite sandwich
- Use it as a delicious dip for fries
- Use it as a dip for your crudites platter
- Use it as a dip for chips
- Or anything else that requires a delicious punch of flavor
This basil mayonnaise can be made dairy free or light but substituting the ingredients accordingly. In fact, the addition of these extra flavors will really help boost the flavor of dairy free, fat free and low fat mayonnaise.
Can I substitute the fresh lemon for regular lemon juice?
- Yes! Although I always prefer fresh lemon to the bottled lemon juice you find at the store, the fact is sometimes we don’t always have that on hand and the bottled stuff is just convenient. When using bottled lemon juice, the flavor may not be a bright but it will still taste delicious!
If I add more basil to give it a stronger basil flavor will that be good?
- Oh yes! Adding more basil is a wonderful idea and if you love the taste of basil, making a strong basil mayonnaise will be delicious on just about anything!
Should I substitute dried basil if I do not have fresh basil?
- This is where I must say no! Dried basil has its uses but in a dish like this that is relying of fresh flavors, the dried basil will not add anything at all. If you have another fresh herb though, go ahead and try that out. Fresh dill, thyme and cilantro would all make wonderful additions to the mayonnaise.
Italian Basil Mayonnaise
- 1 cup regular fat mayonnaise You can substitute with low fat or dairy free mayonnaise
- 1 small lemon juiced or 1/2 of a large lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped finely
- In a large bowl add your mayonnaise
- Now add your fresh squeezed lemon juice and mix well
- Next add your chopped basil and mix well
- Use immediately or refrigerate covered for up to 24 hours.