These chorizo burgers are a flavorful way to make a burger and couldn't be any easier! These pork burgers combine Mexican chorizo and ground pork and make the most delicious and addictive burger. If you have not tried making a burger with chorizo, this combo of ground pork and chorizo will change your mind. Make these on the stovetop or grill for a delicious easy dinner!
Why I think you will love these burgers with chorizo
These chorizo burgers are so easy to make and so full of flavor if you know the right things to add to them to keep them moist like we did here with the chorizo.
The combination of ground pork and chorizo in these burgers are so delicious. My favorite part about these burgers is no additional seasoning is really necessary because the chorizo has so much flavor.
I think you will love making these too.
Normally we add additional flavor to our homemade burgers and if you have tried our turkey patties, you know this already 🙂 We do love adding in a creamy sauce to pair with the natural flavors of the chorizo.
There are only a handful of ingredients you will need to make these (full recipe below):
- Mexican chorizo
- Ground pork
- Hamburger buns
- Manchego cheese
- Red onion. optional
- Italian Mayonnaise
Choosing the right chorizo for these burgers
If you are not familiar with chorizo, there are two main kinds, Spanish and Mexican. In this recipe, we use a Mexican chorizo which is softer and needs to be cooked, unlike the Spanish chorizo which is firm (like a salami) and in a casing.
The Mexican chorizo is the perfect addition to the ground pork because it renders its fat and spices into the ground pork while cooking which does two things: First, the spices are the flavor in this burger (no other spices are added).
Second, the fat in the Mexican chorizo keeps the ground pork from becoming dried out. They are the perfect combination of ingredients!
How to make chorizo burgers
- Make your Italian Mayonnaise
- Pre-heat a cast iron skillet
- Make the chorizo patties
- Add ground pork patties to the pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Add your cheese slices.
- Add pork burgers to hamburger buns.
- Top with Mayonnaise and enjoy.
It is really easy and so darn good!
TIP: For this recipe, I chose to cook my pork burgers in a cast iron pan. It was Winter when I made this recipe so grilling outside was not really that attractive to me. You can easily cook up these pork patties on the grill by following the recipe below.
Tips to make the best burgers
- When making these pork and chorizo burgers, make a deep dimple in the middle of them before cooking. This prevents them from inflating in the middle while cooking (looking like balls). These pork burger tips are the same ones I use to make my hamburger patty and they will really help.
- Always make sure to have some fat in your pork burgers. Here we are using the chorizo which will provide all the fat we need to make sure the burgers stay moist.
- After your pork patties are done cooking, let them rest for a couple minutes on a plate and cover with aluminum foil. This helps the burgers stay moist and makes sure all the juices don't run out when you bite into them.
- To help your cheese melt, add your cheese when the burgers are done cooking and make sure to add some aluminum foil over top to help that cheese melt well.
Now no burger is complete in my book without some cheese and the proper toppings. I made my Basil Mayonnaise (this is mayonnaise with garlic, basil and lemon added) for the spread and topped the pork burger with that and Manchego cheese, grilled red onion and some lettuce.
More Pork Recipes
If you are looking for more recipes with pork, here are some of our favorites:
More Chorizo Recipes For You:
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 ham burger buns
- 4 slices of Manchego cheese
- 1 red onion sliced and grilled optional
- Italian Mayonnaise Recipe here
- lettuce optional
- Gather all of your ingredients.
- Make your Italian Mayonnaise and place in the fridge for later.
- Pre-heat a cast iron skillet or grill on medium heat.
- Slice your onions thin.
- Grill up about ¼ of your onion and save the rest for another meal. When you are done grilling your onions, leave your grill pan on medium heat
- Grab a large bowl.
- Add your ground pork and Mexican chorizo.
- Mix them together well making sure the ingredients are evenly mixed
- Divide your meat mixture into 4, ½ pound patties. Alternatively you can make smaller patties if you like.
- After you make your patties, make a deep dent in the middle of the burgers with your thumb. This will help them from inflating during cooking.
- Add your burgers to your cast iron pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes.
- After cooking, turn off the heat and add your cheese slices.
- Add aluminum foil over your pan and let sit for a couple minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- While you are waiting, Add lettuce to the bottom of your hamburger buns. This prevents the bottom of the bun from becoming mushy when the burger is placed on it.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and place on top of the lettuce on your hamburger buns.
- Now add a tablespoon of Mayonnaise to each burger along with the grilled onions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here