If you are looking for a really easy and big on flavor burger to add to your repertoire then look no further than this chorizo and pork burger! Mexican chorizo and ground pork are combined to make this delicious and addictive burger. To me this combo makes the best burger recipe!
If you are not familiar with chorizo, there are two main kinds, Spanish and Mexican. In this recipe we use a Mexican chorizo which is softer and needs to be cooked unlike the Spanish chorizo which is firm (like a salami) and in a casing.
The Mexican chorizo is the perfect addition to the ground pork because it renders its fat and spices into the ground pork while cooking which does two things: First, the spices are the flavor in this burger (no other spices are added). Second, the fat in the Mexican chorizo keeps the ground pork from becoming dried out. They are the perfect combination of ingredients!
For this recipe I chose to cook my burgers in a cast iron pan. It was Winter when I made this recipe so grilling outside was not really that attractive to me. You can easily make this on the grill by following the recipe below.
Now no burger is complete in my book without some cheese and the proper toppings. I made my Italian Basil Mayonnaise (this is mayonnaise with garlic, basil and lemon added) for the spread and topped the burger with that and Manchego cheese, grilled red onion and some lettuce.
It was really delicious! Very simple too. I just grill up the onions and get all of my items ready earlier in the day so when it is time to make dinner I just need to make the patties and get them on the stove (or grill).
Here are what the steps look like to make these delicious chorizo and pork burgers:
It is really easy and so darn good!
Here are some tips when making these delicious ground pork burgers:
- When making your burger patties, make a deep dimple in the middle of them before cooking. This prevents them from inflating in the middle while cooking (looking like balls).
- Always make sure to have some fat in your burgers. Here we are using the chorizo which will provide all the fat we need to make sure the burgers stay moist.
- After your burgers are done cooking, let them rest for a couple minutes on a plate and covered with aluminum foil. This helps the burgers stay moist and makes sure all the juices don’t run out when you bite into them.
- To help your cheese melt, add your cheese when the burgers are done cooking and make sure to add some aluminum foil over top to help that cheese melt well.
Chorizo and Pork Burgers
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 ham burger buns
- 4 slices of Manchego cheese
- 1 red onion sliced and grilled optional
- Italian Mayonnaise Recipe here
- lettuce optional
- Gather all of your ingredients.
- Make your Italian Mayonnaise and place in the fridge for later.
- Pre-heat a cast iron skillet or grill on medium heat.
- Slice your onions thin.
- Grill up about 1/4 of your onion and save the rest for another meal. When you are done grilling your onions, leave your grill pan on medium heat
- Grab a large bowl.
- Add your ground pork and Mexican chorizo.
- Mix them together well making sure the ingredients are evenly mixed
- Divide your meat mixture into 4, 1/2 pound patties. Alternatively you can make smaller patties if you like.
- After you make your patties, make a deep dent in the middle of the burgers with your thumb. This will help them from inflating during cooking.
- Add your burgers to your cast iron pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes.
- After cooking, turn off the heat and add your cheese slices.
- Add aluminum foil over your pan and let sit for a couple minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- While you are waiting, Add lettuce to the bottom of your hamburger buns. This prevents the bottom of the bun from becoming mushy when the burger is placed on it.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and place on top of the lettuce on your hamburger buns.
- Now add a tablespoon of Mayonnaise to each burger along with the grilled onions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.