Blackened chicken is one of my favorite chicken recipes and it is so easy to make and so full of flavor. This blackened chicken recipe has the most delicious blackened seasoning that coats the chicken and gives it that beautiful blackened crust that makes a perfect blackened chicken. This recipe definitely deserves a spot on your dinner table and I promise it will impress anyone who tries it.
About this Recipe:
This blackened chicken recipe was a dish I came up with many years ago when I was looking for a new chicken recipe that had lots of flavor, was not difficult and that everyone would love.
This is the only blackened chicken I will eat!
The blackened chicken seasoning in the recipe is a blackened dry rub meaning you mix the spices together and press the chicken into it before cooking.
It is so delicious! The bonus from the blackened chicken cooking in olive oil is that it blends with the olive oil and the most delicious spiced olive oil is made.
The seasoned olive oil is perfect to drizzle a little over the chicken after it cooks and the side dishes you serve with the chicken soak up that flavor.
Ingredients for Blackened Chicken:
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
Blackened Chicken Seasoning
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne pepper. The amount used in the recipe won't be too spicy. You can add more cayenne pepper if you want it spicy.
- Kosher Salt
Notes about the ingredients:
There are not many ingredients needed for this easy blackened chicken recipe but I promise the flavor is out of this World. I always get great feedback whenever I make this recipe and I make it a lot.
What is blackened seasoning
Blackened seasoning is a mix of dried spices that are pressed on to meat before cooking. The spices blacken when cooked, giving it its name blackened seasoning.
Normally, blackened seasoning has oregano in it which I have never liked for this type of recipe. I do love oregano, just not in my blackened seasoning.
This blackened seasoning is not too spicy. It just has an incredible blackened flavor without too much heat. If you like really spicy, my spicy Blackened Spice Rub Seasoning can be used for this recipe as well.
Trust me that this seasoning has all the right flavors and when it cooks up it is amazing. You will see!
How To Make Blackened Chicken :
- Step 1: Mix all of your blackened chicken seasoning spices on a plate making sure it is mixed well.
- Step 2: Take your butterflied chicken breasts and place it in your dry rub making sure to coat all the chicken on both sides.
- Step 3: Cook your chicken in a hot pan with some olive oil until browned on both sides.
What to serve with blackened chicken:
I really love serving a fluffy rice with it because the rice soaks up that blackened flavor so well. I also love to serve it with my sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon or my Chopped Kale Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
These blackened chicken side dishes are the best friends to this chicken recipe because those greens and lemon flavor compliment the blackened chicken well.
The dry rub does not take too much time to make but if you want to plan ahead, you can make the rub ahead of time and also butterfly your chicken ahead of time as well.
I do not recommend adding the dry rub to the chicken beforehand. Try to leave this step for right before you are ready to cook.
If you prefer to make blackened chicken tenders, chicken tenders will work really well with this recipe. If you do opt for using chicken tenders, you do not need to butterfly them.
Just press them into the dry rub and cook the same as you would the chicken breasts.
More Spiced Up Chicken Recipes You May Like:
- Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Fajitas Tacos
- Easy Fajitas From Leftovers
- Coconut Chicken with Hot Honey
- Sheet Pan Za'atar Chicken and Veggies
- Southwest Chicken Bowls
- Sausage Jambalaya
- Venezuelan Arepas
The Best Blackened Chicken Recipe
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts butterflied and each breast cut into two.
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- ¼ cup Sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper for spicier blackened chicken add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Add all of your spices on to a plate and mix well.¼ cup Sweet paprika, 3 tablespoon Chili powder, 1 ½ tablespoon kosher salt, pinch of cayenne pepper
- Butterfly your chicken by cutting the chicken breast in half lengthwise with a sharp knife, and cutting the two sides apart (making 2 pieces of chicken from one breast.)2 large boneless chicken breasts
- Press your chicken into your dry rub making sure to coat both sides.
- Add the olive oil to a medium sauté pan over medium heat.3 tablespoon Olive oil
- When heated, add your meat to the pan and cook until meat is nice and browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Now flip the chicken over to cook the other side for 4-5 minutes until it is browned and cooked all the way through (no pink juices are visible when cut).
- Serve immediately and spoon some of the flavored olive oil from the pan over the meat.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here