These are called mostly from scratch because we use canned black beans instead of dried but we give it a real flavor upgrade to taste like it came from a restaurant and have been cooking all day. These are so delicious and so easy to make.
I love serving these over a bed of basmati rice along with my cumin and lime slaw which adds freshness and some crunch. It is such a great combination of flavors.
What I love about this recipe:
- It uses canned black beans which save so much time
- It can be used as a meal with rice or as a side with meat
- It is really big on flavor and is healthy
Mostly From Scratch Amazing Black Beans
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14 oz
- 1/2 of a red pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste I like buying tomato paste in a tube so I can refrigerate what I don't use.
- 1 tbsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add your olive oil, red pepper and garlic and saute until they begin to soften about 5 minutes.
- Now add your canned black beans, water, fresh cilantro, tomatoes, tomato paste and all of the spices and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer
- Once it comes to a simmer, turn your heat to low and cover to simmer for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften a bit and the flavors come together
- Remove from stove and taste for seasoning.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over rice or alongside meat and enjoy!