If a morning starts with french toast then it is a great one! We definitely had a great morning today thanks to this honey and vanilla brioche french toast recipe!
My family loves french toast but I usually only make brioche french toast on special occasions. Brioche bread makes a more decadent french toast and it I think it makes it a little more special.
This past weekend, we all went out for brunch at a local restaurant and tried this amazing brioche french toast that was on the menu and that was my reminder to make this again at home.
What is brioche?
If you are not familiar with brioche, it is an enriched french bread with eggs and butter in the dough. It is part pastry and part bread.
You can usually find brioche in the bakery section of your grocery store. If you can’t find it then Challah bread is a good choice (this bread looks like it was braided together) Challah is almost identical to brioche except it does not have butter in the dough. Either is fine!
Here is what my brioche looked like before I sliced it up and cooked it.
The custard (egg mix) for this french toast is very simple. The addition of honey adds sweetness and an occasional pocket of honey on the cooked french toast! It is my favorite part.
Good toppings for your brioche french toast-
- Any type of fresh berries
- Powdered sugar
- More honey
- fresh berry sauce
- homemade preserves
- A mix of all of the above!
If you are looking for a special breakfast or a way to impress someone with something more than ordinary french toast then you should give this brioche french toast recipe a try! It is amazing! You also can make this just because and no special occasion is necessary.
Honey Vanilla Brioche French Toast
- 1 loaf of bricohe bread or challah
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 milk
- 1/4 honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- fresh berries for topping optional
- warmed maple syrup for topping
- In a large bowl, add your eggs, honey, milk, vanilla and salt and mix well until the honey is no longer clumpy.
- Next, slice up your brioche into 1 inch slices.
- Now, preheat a large heavy bottom skillet or griddle on medium low heat.
- Once it is pre-heated, add your butter and let it fully melt.
- Now take a brioche slice and place into your custard mixture gently pressing down until it is completely submerged. Now take it out flip it over and submerge it again in the custard until you don’t see any bubbles coming up (for about 2 seconds).
- Lift your brioche slice out of the custard making sure to let the excess custard drip off and then place in your pan. Continue to add brioche into your pan until you can’t add anymore (usually 3-4 slices depending on the size of your pan). Cook the brioche for about 4 minutes on the first side and then flip.
- Cook for a remaining 3-4 minutes on the other side or until it is nice and golden in color.
- Continue the steps above until all of the brioche is cooked.
- Once cooked, plate and top with your favorite toppings (butter, fresh berries, powdered sugar, maple syrup…)
You May Also Like