Moist and fluffy ricotta pancakes are the ultimate pancake breakfast. This is the dish you want to make to really up your pancake game. The ricotta pancakes are tall and fluffy and the sweet ricotta adds a beautiful background note and richness. They are basically Italian style pancakes.
These ricotta pancakes are also a great way to use up that ricotta cheese that you only used half of for dinner the night before. I know that I am not the only one with this problem 🙂
I have recipes like my fresh ricotta and tomato salad that uses only about half a container of ricotta. Another great thing about these ricotta pancakes is they are much more substantial than just ordinary pancakes, keeping you satisfied longer.
You will often see lemon added to ricotta pancakes but that is not really my thing. You can easily add that to the recipe if you like it. I have added quantities for that in the notes section in the recipe below.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these fluffy ricotta cheese pancakes:
- Whole milk ricotta (try to use whole milk ricotta and not skim milk ricotta)
- All purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Baking Powder
- Kosher salt
- Whole Milk
- Vegetable oil
The ingredients are the same as what you will find in traditional pancakes except we are adding in some ricotta and adjusting quantities of some of the other ingredients. There are no special steps to making these delicious pancakes just follow the recipe below and you will be on your way to an amazing breakfast.
I love making these pancakes for special occasions because they are really enjoyed around here. It is also easy to make so on Birthdays or holidays when I make these, it is no fuss. You can add your own little festive touches like edible flowers or powdered sugar to dress them up or leave them as is. They are great either way.
Give these Italian pancakes a try and you will be immediately be hooked!
Moist and Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, 1 tablespoon of oil, ricotta, vanilla, sugar and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture; whisk until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter to the skillet
- Once your pan is nice and hot, spoon 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake on to your skillet and cook until pancakes begin to rise and some light bubbles form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip pancake and repeat with the other side.
- If pancakes are browning too quickly adjust your heat to medium low.
- Place pancakes into a stack and serve with butter and maple syrup or your favorite toppings.