Vanilla condensed milk sauce is a delicious and easy bread pudding sauce that anyone can make. I created this as a bread pudding sauce to use with my Italian Bread Pudding and it is the perfect match. This sauce is great on other desserts like, cheesecake, pancakes or anything else that goes well with a dessert sauce.
About this simple bread pudding sauce
I have gotten so much great feedback about this easy vanilla sauce for bread pudding that came from my Italian Bread Pudding recipe that I decided to make a post for it on it's own. It is really that good!
This easy bread pudding sauce is a condensed milk sauce and it is decadent and delicious.
There are only four ingredients that you will need to make this simple vanilla sauce. You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
This vanilla bread pudding sauce has no eggs and none of the hassle that comes with making traditional bread pudding sauces.
The bread pudding recipe that this condensed milk sauce comes from is just as easy as this simple dessert sauce. If you love bread pudding like I do, it is definitely worth checking out!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Sweetened condensed milk. This easy bread pudding sauce is a condensed milk sauce so this is the main ingredient in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract. This is what makes it a vanilla sauce and extra special.
- Butter. You will only need a very little bit of this. The butter adds a bit of sheen and flavor.
- Milk. The milk in this easy sauce helps to thin the sauce out a bit so you can pour it over your bread pudding or any dessert or breakfast that you are making this for.
I told you this one is easy! The steps to making this vanilla condensed milk sauce are as easy as adding the condensed milk, butter, vanilla and milk into a small saucepan gently heating them together and then pouring it over your favorite dessert.
Anyone can make this simple bread pudding sauce. It may be simple but this bread pudding sauce will taste like it took a lot of time to make because it is that good.
How to make this bread pudding sauce
- Open a can of condensed milk and pour it into a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add your butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add your vanilla and milk and mix well for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and serve the vanilla sauce warm over your favorite dessert.
The steps to make this condensed milk bread pudding sauce are all about about stirring. No special skills needed here.
This is why it is one of my favorite dessert sauces. That and it tastes amazing.
Condensed milk is really delicious all on it's own and in my opinion needs no additions to be a delicious stand alone sauce. The simple vanilla sauce ingredients merely adds to the amazing condensed milk flavor.
The additional ingredients added to the condensed milk also helps create a smoother and more pourable texture. This is what you want in a bread pudding sauce or dessert sauce.
The addition of the butter and milk also mimics traditional vanilla sauces that take more time to make. I like things that are easy and not complicated.
You could choose to make a more involved sauce but why if you can make something that is so easy like this vanilla sauce 🙂
How to make this bread pudding sauce dairy free
If you are looking to make this easy vanilla sauce dairy free, you can absolutely substitute the condensed milk and milk in this recipe for non-dairy items. A favorite of mine (and I am not on a dairy free diet) is coconut condensed milk.
Many readers have let me know they have made this bread pudding sauce recipe this way and really loved it. It is a really simple and easily adaptable recipe.
You may want to try this version even if you are not on a special dairy free diet.
This easy bread pudding sauce is quick to make and so absolutely decadent and delicious. You can top just about any dessert with this condensed milk sauce from bread puddings to cinnamon rolls or ice cream.
It is so good that I have noticed many readers look for more ways to use this bread pudding sauce because they love it so much.
What our readers are saying
I love this! Had left over pound cake, made bread pudding and poured this over! SO GOOD!Kate from Pinterest
Loved it!!Dina from Pinterest
I made this, it was easy and delicious!Leomia from Pinterest
Adding different flavors to this condensed milk sauce
If you want to add your own flavor twist to this bread pudding sauce it is as simple as adding them to the recipe. Here are some suggestions from readers:
- Add bourbon to the condensed milk sauce for a bourbon condensed milk sauce. To do this just replace the milk in the recipe with bourbon (see notes below in recipe).
- You can add ⅛ teaspoon of anise extract to make anise condensed milk sauce.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon of almond extract for almond flavored condensed milk sauce.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon for a cinnamon condensed milk sauce.
This vanilla condensed milk sauce is perfect on its own or you can customize this easy vanilla dessert sauce if you choose. For the bourbon bread pudding sauce, I have included more details of how to make this in the recipe below.
How to store this condensed milk sauce
To store any extra sauce you have, just place in a container with a lid once it has cooled and place in your refrigerator for up to 1 week. I don't think most people have any leftover after they first make it.
But, if you happen to have any leftover bread pudding sauce, this is how you would store it!
How to re-heat bread pudding sauce
To re-heat your vanilla bread pudding sauce, simply pour it into a medium sauce pan over low heat and gently re-heat the sauce until it is very warm. Remove immediately and serve.
This condensed milk sauce should be served warm so if you have leftover sauce and want to use it the day after you make it, make sure to re-heat it.
If you love really condensed milk then these other condensed milk recipes are for you:
- Italian Bread Pudding is a really easy bread pudding recipe that tastes even better with this condensed milk sauce poured over top. This recipe makes individual bread puddings so there is less work scooping out servings when it is time to eat!
- This baked french toast casserole is also made with condensed milk and is perfect as a dessert or as a special breakfast.
Once you make this simple vanilla sauce and see how easy and delicious this is you will be making this on repeat. It is that addictive and that amazing!
No they are different. Condensed milk is sweetened and reduced down to a thick consistency. Condensed milk is very sweet.
Evaporated milk is also a reduced milk meaning much of the water is evaporated out but it is unsweetened.
You could use condensed milk as is or add a few ingredients to make it into a delicious dessert sauce.
You certainly can! Heating condensd milk will thin it a bit and make for a great pourable sauce for desserts.
More Easy Dessert Sauce Ideas:
Vanilla Bread Pudding Sauce
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- medium sauce pan
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon milk to lightly thin it out
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter to add shine and flavor
- Add all of your ingredients into a medium sauce pan over medium heat1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoon milk, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of butter
- Mix well and heat until it all comes together and it starts to look silky and smooth
- Remove from heat and use immediately
Cook the bourbon in the sauce for a few minutes on a very gentle simmer to reduce the alcohol a bit.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here