Zucchini and tomatoes is the most delicious side dish and so easy to make. This tomato and zucchini recipe is perfect for when you are wondering what to make with those extra tomatoes in the summer. This simple zucchini and tomatoes recipe will be a favorite once you see how juicy and delicious these two summer vegetables are when cooked together.
About this zucchini tomato recipe:
This zucchini tomato recipe is very simple and will take just minutes to make on the stovetop. I make a lots of zucchini recipes, from a zucchini galette to spaghetti with zucchini and this simple zucchini and tomatoes.
This is one of my simpler recipes that I like to make when I need a quick side dish that tastes amazing. For this recipe, the zucchini is sautéed until crisp and lightly brown on the outside and the tomatoes are added at the very end to warm through and just barely breakdown.
The seasoning for this sautéed zucchini and tomatoes is a very simple spice blend of paprika, garlic powder and kosher salt. Although the spice blend is simple, it is really big on flavor and what makes this recipe delicious.
Ingredients you will need for this tomato and zucchini recipe:
- Fresh tomatoes. Any large fresh tomatoes will do.
- Olive oil.
- Kosher salt.
- Sweet Paprika.
- Garlic Powder.
- Red pepper flakes. This is optional but I love adding a pinch to so many of my recipes because it adds a little background flavor without the heat.
You probably have all of the spices in your pantry for this spice blend. The combination of sweet paprika, salt and garlic powder cooked with zucchini and tomatoes is so good and almost has a meaty flavor.
It is one of my favorites.
How to make:
You start with adding the zucchini to a hot pan with olive oil and sprinkle on some of the seasoning blend. Most of the cooking time is spent browning the zucchini in the pan so it gets a nice light brown color.
Once that zucchini browns on the first side, you just want to flip them over to brown on the second side before adding the tomatoes. The tomatoes are added to the sauté pan at the very end to prevent their juices from making the zucchini mushy.
In the last few minutes of cooking time and after the zucchini has browned up nicely you will add the fresh tomatoes. You only need to cook them for a few minutes just soften them a bit but keep them somewhat intact.
You do not want mushy tomatoes!
This is what it looks like when it is finished. You can see the tomatoes have held up nicely and the zucchini is nicely browned as well.
That is exactly the way I like my zucchini and tomatoes!
This easy zucchini and tomatoes side dish is really the perfect way to use up all of those tomatoes and zucchini from your garden in the summer and so delicious.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients is what makes the best dishes. This sautéed zucchini tomato recipe is just that, simple and delicious.
What to serve with this zucchini tomato side dish:
- Chicken with Prosciutto
- Rotisserie Chicken Sandwiches
- Seared Pork Chops
- Juicy Boneless Pork Chops
- Southwest Chicken Bowl. This would make a great addition to this easy chicken bowl.
- This would make a great veggie filling for arepas (Venezuelan sandwiches)
- Blackened Chicken
- Spanish Rice Recipe
- Mexican Refried Bean Tostadas
Zucchini and Tomatoes
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 large zucchini cut into ¼ inch half moons (cut in half length wise then cut into slices.)
- 2 large tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is heated add olive oil.2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Add zucchini to pan making sure they do not overlap and are making direct contact with the pan.2 large zucchini
- Sprinkle a little of the seasoning over the zucchini making sure to get each piece.1 tablespoon sweet paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cook zucchini for about 4 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Flip the zucchini , sprinkle on a little more seasoning and cook for another few minutes.
- Now add the fresh tomatoes and the remaining spice mixture and toss the zucchini and tomatoes.2 large tomatoes
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Taste for any additional salt needed.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here