Rice and bean burritos are one of my favorite quick meals and it is so easy to make at home. With just simple ingredients which you may already have on hand, you can have this rice and bean burrito assembled, cooked, and ready to eat in under an hour (and it will be so much cheaper than takeout!)
About this recipe:
Depending on where you are from, you may know and love rice in burritos or you may have not ever heard of this. using rice in burritos really helps bulk up the burrito with more filling and lots of extra flavor.
We do not use just any rice for the rice portion of this recipe. I use my Spanish rice which is really easy to make but really big on flavor. Between the seasoning in the Spanish rice and the seasoning that is added to the beans, this burrito is amazing!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Spanish rice. Recipe below.
- Canned pinto beans
- Southwest seasoning.
- Tomato paste. Just a little to add to the beans to create a nice broth.
- Pico de gallo. Homemade pico de gallo or store bought is fine too.
- Shredded cheese. Optional but you only need a little and it offers another great layer of flavor in the burrito.
- Burrito sized flour tortillas. Make sure to look for burrito sized tortillas since they will be easiest to roll.
- Lime wedges for squeezing on burritos before eating. Optional.
Here are the steps to make them:
Once you have all the ingredients for the bean and rice burrito made, you can start assembling the burrito. If you are not familiar with how to roll a burrito, here are steps below to show you.
How to fold a burrito:
Cooking the Burrito:
Now, you can totally eat this bean and rice burrito without cooking the burrito. If you prefer to not warm and cook the tortilla just wrap the rolled burrito in some aluminum foil to keep it together.
If you would like to seal the burrito a bit without the aluminum foil holding it together then you will want to cook the burrito on a hot pan for just a couple of minutes per side. I prefer this method for my burrito because it helps the cheese melt a bit more.
Here is what the cooked bean and rice burrito looks like-
Making these bean and rice burritos is not only healthy but a delicious meal that you can make during the week. It is always a crowd pleaser and it is customizable to your taste.
You can add more toppings to the burrito or more fillings inside the burrito. Make this bean and rice burrito your own or make it as is and we know you will love it.
For More Spanish Recipes:
- Sheet Pan Loaded Nachos
- Texas Chili
- Mexican Horchata
- Quesadillas with Poblano cream Sauce
- Chorizo and Peppers (Chorizo frito)
- Cucumber and Citrus Aqua Fresca
- Refried Bean Tostadas
Spanish Rice and Bean Burritos
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 ¾ cup Chicken stock
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped. If using an onion finely chop about ¼ cup of onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pico de Gallo
- Recipe below or use store bought.
- 4 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Place a medium pot on the stove over medium heat. Make sure your pot has a tight fitting lid for later.
- Add the olive oil.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Now add the rice, onion and garlic and cook until the rice just starts to lightly brown, making sure to stir frequently. About 3-4 minutes.1 cup Basmati rice, 1 shallot, 2 cloves of garlic
- Now add the chopped tomato and mix it in well making sure to coat the rice.1 small tomato
- Next add the chicken stock and salt and raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.1 ¾ cup Chicken stock, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- When boiling, stir the rice once then reduce the heat to low and place the lid on top.
- Allow the rice to cook for about 5 minutes on low or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Remove the rice from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes, making sure to leave the lid on.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
Make the beans
- Add beans, tomato paste, water and spices to a small sauce pan over medium low heat and mix gently.15 ounces canned pinto beans, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, ½ tablespoon kosher salt, ½ tablespoon sweet paprika, ½ tablespoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ¼ cup water
- Heat gently for a few minutes to let the beans heat through and for the spices to come together.
- Remove from heat after 5 minutes.
If making the pico de gallo
- Lay tortilla flat on counter and add 2 heaping tablespoons full of rice to the middle of the burrrito.4 burrito sized flour tortillas
- Now add a couple tablespoons full of the pinto beans, draining making sure to drain any excess liquid first.
- Sprinkle on some pico de gallo and ¼ of the shredded cheese.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Start rolling the burrito by folding in the sides.
- Now fold the part closest to you over the folded down sides.
- And roll gently but as tight as you can.
- Place the burrito seam side down when done rolling.
- If warming the burrito, add the burrito seam side down to a pan over medium heat. If you are not warming the burritos, place in aluminum foil seam side down and wrap tight.
- Cook for 2 minutes a side or until it starts to get golden brown.
- Repeat steps until all the burritos are rolled.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here