Chorizo with peppers and onions (Chorizo Frito) is a classic Spanish tapas and it makes a great quick meal when you are short on time. I love serving this dish with a side of crusty garlic bread to make a complete meal.
Spanish tapas are quick small bites and they can be made very quickly making them an ideal quick meal. The Spanish chorizo in this chorizo Frito is loaded with flavor and spices so no additional seasoning is necessary.
This is one of the reasons I love cooking with Spanish chorizo in so many of my dishes (chorizo and pork burger, chorizo and zucchini galette and chorizo sheet pan tacos) . When you are short on time, finding ingredients that can do double duty and taste great is key.
If you have 20 minutes you can make this meal. The only work involved is slicing your ingredients.
To sop up some of those delicious juices from the chorizo and always serve some good crusty garlic bread like my oregano crostini or an authentic Catalan tomato bread. A good garlic style bread is very common in Spanish cooking and for this reason of soaking up delicious sauces.
Tips for making this Chorizo and peppers dish even faster:
This dish is already really quick to make but you can make it even faster by prepping your ingredients ahead of time. Just slice your peppers, onions and chorizo and place them seperately in a sealed container in your fridge.
When you are ready to make them, all yo have to do is quickly sauté them.
Re-heating your Chorizo and Peppers:
This recipe re-heats really well in the oven. To re-heat, just place the chorizo peppers and onions in some aluminum foil and close tightly. Place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Finding Spanish Chorizo:
Spanish chorizo is not the same as Mexican chorizo so when you are looking for it at the store make sure the chorizo says Spanish or from Spain. I always have success finding this at the Whole Foods Market near my house.
This dish will only work with the Spanish style chorizo because it is a firm sausage (unlike Mexican chorizo) that can be sautéd.
For More Spanish recipes:
- Quesadillas with Poblano Cream Sauce
- Homemade Refried Bean Tostadas
- Venezuelan Arepas
- Chacarero Chicken Sandwich
- Ropa Vieja
- Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo Salsa
Chorizo with Peppers and Onions (Chorizo frito)
- 11 ounces Spanish Chorizo cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 poblano pepper large, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 Spanish onion sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Pre-heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add your olive oil.
- Add your sliced chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes flipping half way through until the chorizo starts to brown a little.
- Remove chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and add to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add your peppers and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Now add your garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add your tomato paste and water and mix well.
- Now add your chorizo back into the pan and mix it in with the peppers and onions.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here