These pizza dough pretzels make the most delicious soft pretzel knots that my family has loved for years and they are so easy to make at home. Because the pretzel knots are made with pizza dough they a great easy appetizer to make game days or special occasion. Serve them with homemade beer cheese or pimento cheese dip to make them even more special.
About these pizza dough pretzels
This soft pretzel knot recipe is so easy to make and so addictive. With store bought pizza dough, you just shape your pretzels, add them to a bath of boiling water that has baking soda in it and then bake them in the oven.
If you can boil pasta you can make this dish!
Making the pretzel dough with pizza dough
I usually use a store bought pizza dough for this recipe since it makes it easier. I always use pizza dough from the Whole Foods market and it never fails!
If you prefer to make your own pizza dough I have a great pizza dough recipe that we make often and we love it! These pretzels with pizza dough will be great either way.
Different soft pretzel toppings
There are unlimited ways to add more flavor to these pretzel knots. I like using a cheese dipping sauce but here are a few more examples of how you can customize it-
- You can make everything but the bagel pretzel knots. To do this, just make the pretzels following the recipe and after the bake, just brush them with melted butter or a mild vegetable oil and sprinkle the seasoning on.
- My family loves cinnamon and sugar soft pretzels! This is the same as making the everything but the bagel pretzel knots except you roll the knots in a cinnamon and sugar blend after brushing the finished knots with butter.
- These pretzels can be customized to any spice blend you love. Experiment and add your own touches.
This is a great snack to make for friends and family or for game days when you have lots of hungry people who want some good snacks. It is absolutely delicious!
To go with these pretzel knots, I like to make my ham and ricotta puff pastry calzones on game day for easy appetizers that everyone loves!
How to make this easy soft pretzel recipe
Below are some picture of my pretzel knots when I am working with the dough before and after they are baked. Your pretzel knots do not need to be perfect!
To start making the pretzel knots, just roll out the pizza dough then cut the dough into thin strips.
After the pretzel dough is cut into strips, you are going to gently tie them into a knot, almost like tying a shoelace. The only thing you want to remember when tying the pretzel knots is to know pull the knot too tight or it will break.
Once the soft pretzel knots are done being tied, they will placed in a pot of boiling water with baking soda then placed back on to a sheet pan bake in the oven.
That is it! Try out this easy soft pretzel recipe and see for yourself how good they are.
For more delicious appetizer ideas
- Avocado Dip
- Goat Cheese and Strawberry Crostini
- Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Crostini
- Southwest Hummus
- Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe
- Oven Baked Nachos
- Traditional Texas Chili
- Easy Classic Chili
- Brie en Croute with Jam
- Roasted Salsa
Pizza Dough Soft Pretzels Knots
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- raw pizza dough ball
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 8 cups of water
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water mixed together for egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees then divide your pizza dough into 4 equal parts and roll each part into ½ inch thick pieces and so that it resembles a rounded rectangle
- Cut into strips,4-5 long strips and then cut those strips in half (see my picture)
- Now tie into knot carefully making sure you remember this is dough not shoelaces so you don't want to pull to hard on the dough 🙂
- Now set aside
- Put 8 cups water in pot with ½ cup baking soda and then bring to boil.
- Now place 4-5 knots at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon take them out of the water and place on a greased baking sheet (or use a silpat).
- The knots should be dimpled and puffy.
- Once all knots are out of water and on baking sheet, brush each knot with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt , bake 8-10 min or until golden brown
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce: cheese, mustard, nutella, chocolate!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
These were so good!
These were delicious!