These delicious soft pretzel knots are made with pizza dough and they are a great easy appetizer to make on game days or special occasions. Serve them with pimento cheese to make them even more special.
About these pizza dough pretzels
This soft pretzel knots recipe is so easy to make and so addictive. With store-bought pizza dough, you just shape your pretzels, add them to a bath of boiling water that has baking soda in it, and then bake them in the oven.
If you prefer to make your own pizza dough then go for it! If you can boil water, you can make this dish!
How To Make
Below are some pictures of my pretzel knots when I am working with the dough before and after they are baked. Your pretzel knots do not need to be perfect!
To start making the pretzel knots, just roll out the pizza dough then cut the dough into thin strips.
After the pretzel dough is cut into strips, you are going to gently tie them into a knot, almost like tying a shoelace. The only thing you want to remember when tying the pretzel knots is to know not to pull the knot too tight or it will break.
Once the soft pretzel knots are done being tied, they will placed in a pot of boiling water with baking soda then placed back onto a sheet pan to bake in the oven.
That is it! Try out this easy soft pretzel recipe and see for yourself how good they are.
How to Serve
Easy appetizers make for easy entertaining! Here are some ideas for you:
- Bite-sized appetizer party: Our favorite finger food appetizers are our Goat Cheese and Strawberry Crostini and our Red Pepper and Roasted Red Pepper Crostini
- Mexican appetizer gathering: These pretzel knots are great dipped into Avocado Dip or Easy Pico De Gallo or our Traditional Texas Chili
- Warm Appetizer table: Make these pretzels to go along with Oven Baked Nachos or some Brie en Croute with Jam for warm appetizers everyone will love
There are unlimited ways to add more flavor to these pretzel knots. I like using a cheese dipping sauce but here are a few more examples of how you can customize it-
- Everything but the bagel pretzel knots. To do this, just make the pretzels following the recipe and after the bake, just brush them with melted butter or mild vegetable oil and sprinkle the seasoning on.
- My family loves cinnamon and sugar soft pretzels! This is the same as making everything but the bagel pretzel knots except you roll the knots in a cinnamon and sugar blend after brushing the finished knots with butter.
This is a great snack to make for friends and family or for game days when you have lots of hungry people who want some good snacks. It is absolutely delicious!
Pizza Dough Pretzel Knots
- 12 ounces pizza dough
- 8 cups of water
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees then divide your pizza dough into 4 equal parts and roll each part into ½ inch thick pieces and so that it resembles a rounded rectangle12 ounces pizza dough
- Cut into strips,4-5 long strips and then cut those strips in half (see my picture)
- Now tie into knot carefully making sure you remember this is dough not shoelaces so you don't want to pull to hard on the dough 🙂
- Now set aside
- Pour water into a large pot with baking soda and then bring to a boil.8 cups of water, ½ cup of baking soda
- Now place 4-5 knots at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon take them out of the water and place on a greased baking sheet (or use a silpat).
- The knots should be dimpled and puffy.
- Once all knots are out of water and on baking sheet, brush each knot with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt , bake 8-10 min or until golden brown1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce: cheese, mustard, nutella, chocolate!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!