Baked BBQ chicken is a delicious BBQ chicken dinner made with bone-in chicken breasts and BBQ sauce that is baked in the oven until juicy. This oven baked BBQ chicken recipe makes the perfect easy weeknight meal and it is so full of flavor.
Why you'll love this recipe
I love making BBQ chicken in the oven all year long. It is one of my favorite recipes and although we think of BBQ during the summer, why wait when you make this anytime.
I love baking chicken in the oven because it is so easy, it makes a quick dinner and juicy chicken when baked right. From my baked chicken breasts, my easy chicken and prosciutto or my chicken satay, using the oven to make a quick weeknight chicken dinner is the best way to go.
This oven BBQ chicken recipe has all easy steps, easy clean-up, is delicious, and is ready in under an hour. The perfect easy dinner for busy evenings.
You do not need too many ingredients for this delicious BBQ chicken! The spice blend is optional but if you have it, I recommend giving it a try. Here is what you will need (exact amounts in the recipe card below):
- Bone-in chicken breasts. With the skin on.
- Olive oil.
- BBQ Sauce. You can use your favorite BBQ sauce or my brown sugar BBQ sauce which is what I use.
- Salt, pepper, sweet paprika and garlic powder. This is the optional spice mix. You can just use salt and pepper if that is what you have. I do think this spice blend really accents the delicious BBQ flavor.
How to make
Making BBQ chicken in the oven is really easy to do. Here are all the steps.
- First, place the chicken pieces skin side up on a large prepared rimmed baking sheet or baking dish. I like to prepare my sheet pan with some aluminum foil so the BBQ sauce that is added later doesn't stick to the pan.
- Second, you will add the seasoning to the chicken. This is the spice blend mentioned above. Remember, you can always use just salt and pepper if you don't have all the spices.
- Third, Place chicken breasts into a pre-heated 425-degree oven and bake barbecue chicken for about 30-40 minutes.
- The Last Step, Once the chicken has cooked for about 30-40 minutes, you add your BBQ sauce to the chicken and cook for a few more minutes on the top rack under the broiler to get the BBQ nice and caramelized on the chicken.
That is it! Such an easy recipe.
This recipe is for baked BBQ chicken breasts (bone-in). You can easily adapt this recipe to use another cut of chicken:
- Bone-in chicken thighs - If you prefer dark meat, bone-in chicken thighs cook really nicely in the oven and it will also make delicious BBQ chicken! I often cook these alongside bone-in chicken breasts for the same amount of time. They always come out tender and delicious.
- Boneless chicken breast- to make this BBQ chicken recipe with boneless chicken breasts, follow the recipe the same except for decreasing the cooking time. I like to check boneless chicken breasts for doneness after about 15 minutes in a 425-degree oven.
Make what works best for you! If you prefer darker meat, then chicken thighs are a great way to go when making BBQ chicken in the oven.
All oven temperatures and will affect baking times. vary so make sure the chicken breasts are fully cooked before adding the BBQ sauce. Bone-in chicken breasts are fully cooked when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
When making BBQ chicken either in the oven or on the grill, you want to add the BBQ sauce to the chicken at the very end of the cooking time. Since BBQ sauce has sugars in it, it will brown and caramelize quickly so adding it at the end ensures you do not end up with charred chicken.
Bone-in chicken breasts should cook up in a pre-heated 425-degree oven for about 30-40 minutes or when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Since oven temperatures vary, make sure to test the chicken for doneness with a meat thermometer.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like this oven BBQ chicken, you may like these recipes too:
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Breast (Easy Recipe)
- 4 bone-in skin on chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with aluminum foil (for easy cleanup).
- Place chicken breasts skin side up on to a sheet pan.4 bone-in skin on chicken breasts
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the chicken breasts.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl.1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Sprinkle seasoning on skin of chicken breasts.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and now brush on the BBQ sauce on the top of the chicken.1 cup BBQ sauce
- Place back in the oven on the top rack for another 10 minutes.
- If you prefer the BBQ sauce to have a little char then turn the broiler on in the oven and cook the chicken under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until it starts to lightly caramelize.
- The chicken is ready when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
If you are working with boneless chicken breasts without skin:Follow the instructions in the post. Make sure chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!