Italian peas with garlic and parsley is a really easy green peas recipe that anyone can make and everyone will love. This green peas recipe comes together really fast and uses frozen peas so it can be made year round. I love the combination of garlic and peas and even pickiest eaters have come around to liking this traditionally hated veggie after trying this.
About this Italian Peas Recipe:
This recipe for peas uses a few simple ingredients that are all fresh and work really well together. I always have frozen peas in my freezer because I love them and because they taste as good as fresh since they are frozen at their peak.
Italian peas is really my favorite way to take those normally boring frozen green peas to a whole new level of flavor. You can serve this alongside a beautiful Pasta Genovese or Beef Brisket for a fancier meal or make it more casual affair and pair it with a simple seeded chicken schnitzel.
These green peas can be served with just about any main dish with great results.
- Frozen peas
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh Flat leaf Italian parsley
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
Notes about the ingredients:
This recipe uses frozen peas since fresh peas are only in season for a short time in the Spring. As I mentioned earlier, frozen peas are picked and frozen at the peak freshness so they are just as good as fresh.
If you do happen to come across fresh peas, you can use that in place of frozen if you prefer. They both taste amazing.
This recipe also calls for fresh garlic. Now I usually say do not substitute garlic powder for fresh garlic but with this recipe it comes out amazing either way. I will give the substitutions for those below in the recipe.
The last note about the ingredients is about the parsley. The recipe calls for flat leaf Italian parsley. Do make sure you are buying flat leaf parsley and not the curly parsley. Flat leaf parsley will cook down and give a nice flavor but curly parsley will not.
How to make these delicious garlicky peas:
You can customize this Italian peas recipe even more by adding in your own favorite ingredients. These Italian peas go really nicely with sautéd Italian pancetta or sautéd onions. Crisped up bacon would make a great addition too!
Remember that you can use frozen or fresh peas for this recipe and they both turn out amazing. Similarly, you can substitute garlic powder for fresh garlic in this recipe with great results.
More Side Dish Recipes You May Like:
- Brussels Spouts with Olive Oil and Lemon
- Italian Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Turmeric Potatoes with Preserved Lemon
- Roasted Radicchio and Arugula Salad
- Roasted Vegetables with Chimichurri Sauce
- Roasted Green Beans with Rojo Chimichurri
- Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
- Peas with Pancetta and Shallots
Italian Peas with Garlic and Fresh Parsley
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 16 ounces frozen baby peas you can use regular frozen peas as a substitute
- 6 garlic cloves minced finely. You can substitute ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder for the fresh garlic.
- ¼ cup Olive Oil good quality
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ bunch of fresh Italian fresh leaf parsley. stems removed and minced finely
- Gather and prep your ingredients.
- In a large sauté pan over medium low heat, heat your olive oil.¼ cup Olive Oil
- Once heated, add your garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic starts to soften.6 garlic cloves, ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Now add your frozen peas to the pan.16 ounces frozen baby peas
- Cook the peas for 2 minutes tossing them well in the olive oil mixture.
- Now add your salt and freshly minced Italian parsley.¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ bunch of fresh Italian fresh leaf parsley.
- Mix well and cook for a couple more minutes until the peas are completely heated through and hot.
- Taste for seasoning and add any additional salt if needed.
- Plate the peas and serve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here