Turmeric potatoes with preserved lemon are my newest favorite obsession and once you try them they will be yours too! These potatoes are so versatile and can be used for breakfast, lunch or for dinner as a side. The preserved lemon along with the spices makes a boring potato amazing!
I originally had planned this turmeric recipe as part of a larger meal with meat and that is how I actually cooked it the first time. I fell in love with the potato part of that dish so much that I decided to try cooking these on their own, without any meat.
I figured, it is definitely healthier without the meat. I also wanted something that I could grab from the refrigerator easily and re-heat during the day for a quick lunch.
After re-making this dish I can tell you it tastes amazing as a stand alone dish! My family really loves it too.
Ideas for serving these turmeric potatoes with preserved lemon:
- Serve it for breakfast in place of breakfast potatoes.
- You can use these as a quick snack ( I love nibbling on them straight from the refrigerator).
- These make a great addition to a salad for lunch. I love re-heating these and adding them on top of baby spinach and with a serving of tuna fish.
- This makes a delicious side dish to just about any meat. I love serving this with my seeded chicken schnitzel.
- If you make quiches or frittatas, these are the perfect addition to them!
As you can see, there are so many ways to enjoy these potatoes! They add so much flavor to any meal.
The preserved lemon in the recipe:
If you are looking for recipes with preserved lemons this is most delicious way to use them in my opinion. The preserved lemons really add a great depth of flavor and pairs so well with the other spices in the recipe.
If you are not familiar with preserved lemon it is lemon that has been placed in a salt brine until the skin of the lemons become soft. You want to use the rind portion (not the white part) of the lemon for this recipe.
If you do not have preserved lemons, you can use lemon zest in place of it. I recommend looking for some at the grocery store the next time you are there.
They add great flavor to so many recipes.
The steps to making these potatoes are so simple! It all comes together in less than 30 minutes. I love making a little extra so that I have leftovers throughout the week.
The first thing you want to do is prepare your potatoes for cooking.
This is really easy and it is just peeling the skins off your potatoes and cutting the potato into ½ inch strips.
The next things you want to do is to cook all of your spices along with the shallots and garlic to release as much flavor as possible. This really gives the dish a big flavor boost.
This step is really important and one you should not skip. When you are cooking the spices with the garlic and shallots, it will form a thick paste. This will mix into the broth later on.
The last thing you do is add your broth, potatoes and sliced up preserved lemon to your spice mixture and let it simmer on the stove.
These almost look like caramel apples at this stage. Once you throw the potatoes into the pot, all you have to do is mix and cover the pan and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
It doesn't get any easier than that. This dish is a great way to use preserved lemons and spices to make a meal that is so good and so good for you. You would never know it is actually healthy. You certainly will enjoy adding this to your cooking routine.
If you are looking for more delicious healthy recipes like this turmeric recipe, you may like:
Easy and Delicious Turmeric Potatoes with preserved lemon
- large saute pan
- 6 medium golden potatoes peeled and sliced into quarters then sliced into ½ inch slices.
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock plus extra if needed
- 2 shallots diced finely
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced as thin as possible
- 1 ½ tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or more or less to taste and your preference
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 preserved lemon you can substitute ¼ teaspoon of fresh lemon zest.
- Gather all of your ingredients and place them on the counter.
- Prepare you preserved lemons by cutting your lemon in half. You only need half of the lemon.
- With a spoon, scrape away the inside flesh and white area from the rind.
- Take the rind and slice into very thing strips then dice them. Set aside.
- Peel the skins off of your potatoes.
- Cut your potatoes into quarters by cutting it in half then cut the halves into halves.
- Now take each potato quarter and cut it length wise into ½ inch strips
- Once you have prepared your potatoes, grab a large saute pan and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- Add your olive oil
- Chop your shallots and garlic finely.
- Now add your shallots to the saute pan and cook for about 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Next, add your turmeric, garlic and paprika to the shallots and cook for about 1 minute until the spices start to cook a bit.
- Now add your 2 cups of chicken stock, lemon rind and mix well.
- Next, add your sliced potatoes and gently stir those in to the pan making sure the potatoes are almost completely covered by the stock. If you need to add more stock, go ahead and do that until the potatoes are mostly covered.
- Now add your salt and pepper and gently stir it in.
- Bring the potatoes and broth mixture up to a simmer.
- Once it is simmering, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, gently give the potatoes and stir being careful not to break them.
- Taste for any additional salt or seasonings.
- Serve immediately.