If you are looking for a really easy peas recipe (using fresh or frozen peas) that can be used as a side dish or made into a pasta (as I love to do!) then look no further than this peas with pancetta and shallots recipe. This is my absolute favorite way to prepare peas and it is so full of flavor. This makes a great everyday side dish but it is fancy enough to serve at the holidays.
About this peas with pancetta recipe:
This peas recipe is very simple and requires only a few ingredients. The Italian bacon (pancetta) adds so much flavor to the peas while the shallots and garlic help round it all out. It is just so delicious!
I know lots of you are always at a loss for how to prepare peas and the best way to add flavor to an often over looked vegetable. This peas recipe will take care of both those issues.
This peas with pancetta also makes a wonderful addition to pasta. If you love this as a pea side dish, you will really love it served over your favorite pasta too!
Pro-tip: To make this into a peas and pancetta pasta, make the recipe as listed below then reserve 1 cup of pasta water when cooking your pasta. Add the peas and pancetta to the cooked pasta then add a little reserved pasta water to the pasta and mix it all together. Serve with freshly grated parmesan on the side.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Peas. Fresh or frozen will both work fine.
- Pancetta (Italian bacon). Diced.
- Fresh garlic.
- Olive oil.
- Kosher salt.
- Chicken stock. You just need a little bit. If you do not have this on hand then a little water will work too.
- Red pepper flakes.
Steps to Make this Peas with Pancetta and Shallots:
Tips for making this recipe:
- I prefer to buy pancetta that is already diced and packaged. You can usually find this in the specialty cheese and meat section of your grocery store. If you cannot find it there, you can also order a thick piece of freshly cut pancetta from the deli section and dice it up at home.
- If you are not familiar with cooking pancetta, it is similar to cooking bacon. Just place it in the pan over medium heat and heat it through until crisp. For this recipe we want all the oil and flavor from the fat that rendered from the pancetta so we will leave that in the pan for the peas to cook in. If you wanted the pancetta on it's own (without the grease) you can just remove the pancetta on to a paper towel and discard the rendered fat.
More recipes with peas that you may like:
Peas with Pancetta and Shallots
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 3 cups peas frozen or fresh
- 4 ounce pancetta diced
- ¼ cup chicken stock you can also use water.
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste.
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil, red pepper flakes and pancetta.4 ounce pancetta, 1 tablespoon olive oil, pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cook until the pancetta starts to turn crispy.
- Now add the shallots to the pan and cook until translucent.1 shallot
- Add peas, garlic, salt and chicken stock to the pan and mix well.3 cups peas, ¼ cup chicken stock, 2 cloves of garlic, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the peas are a brigh vivid green and cooked all the way through.
- Taste for any additional salt needed.
- Sereve immediately.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here