Roasted Italian Brussels sprouts will be your new favorite Brussels sprouts recipe once you try it. Most people who know me know that I love Brussels sprouts, and these Italian Brussels sprouts roasted with garlic, breadcrumbs and almonds are definitely at the top of my favorites list.
These garlic roasted Brussels sprouts are crisp on the outside with a beautiful caramelization and loaded with so much flavor thanks to all of the great Italian flavors.
What are Italian Roasted Brussels sprouts
This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe falls somewhere in between rustic and fancy. It is a little more of a dressed up Brussels sprouts dish but without a lot of fuss.
As the name suggests, these Brussels sprouts are roasted in the oven with flavors that are pure Italian. These Brussels sprouts are loaded with bread crumbs, almonds, lemon and garlic and it all really works so well together.
It also makes it a bit hardier and fancier which makes it a perfect side for entertaining.
How to choose the best Brussels sprouts at the store
When buying Brussels sprouts for this recipe or any Brussels sprouts recipe, I recommend buying the whole Brussels sprouts versus the partially prepped ones (where the store cuts the sprouts for you).
The reason for this is the stems are always left on when the store does it. No one wants to eat the stems. Never ever!
Here are my steps for Cleaning and Prepping Brussels Sprouts
The first thing I like to do is I clean the Brussels sprouts by washing and drying them off. This part takes just a few minutes but it helps get all of the dirt off of the Brussels sprouts.
You can do this part earlier in the day if you are looking to save some time.
Removing the stems from the Brussels sprouts
The next thing I do is I cut all the stems off of the Brussels sprouts. They are rough and will ruin your experience eating this delicious vegetable.
If you were to buy already prepped Brussels sprouts at the store, these stems would be left on. No one wants to eat that.
Cleaning the outer leaves
Once you have removed the stems, you'll want to take one single layer of the Brussels sprout's leaves off the outside of the Brussels sprout. You can skip this step for the ones that look nice and green.
If you have worked with this vegetable before then you know that the outside layer can be pretty ugly and not something you want to serve to others. Depending on the batch you get, it may not need much peeling or it may need a lot.
That is it. This is what I have found to be the best way to clean and trim Brussels sprouts.
If you find some of theses steps too labor intensive, it makes a great project to enlist some help from another person in your home.
How to make the best roasted Brussels sprouts
Roasting Brussels sprouts is very easy and these Italian roasted Brussels sprouts are no different. If you follow these steps below, you will have perfect crisp Brussels sprouts each time.
- Do not over crowd your pan. This may seem obvious but many people forget that when you want something to be nice and browned you have to give it space. The Brussels sprouts need to be in direct contact with the pan. Make sure each Brussels sprout is in contact with the pan and there is no overlapping.
- High heat and pre-heating. Making sure your oven is nice and pre-heated will always help in making perfect roasted Brussels sprouts. Cooking at a higher heat will also help.
- Always add some type of oil. This can be olive oil or butter but you always want to add some sort of oil to help that browning along.
Making these Brussels sprouts ahead of time
This Italian Brussels sprouts recipe can easily be made ahead up to the point of the cooking part of the recipe. You can prep and measure out all of your ingredients and set them aside until you are ready to cook.
That's definitely something I look for when I am entertaining or making multiple dishes!
Do this alone or with someone to make it faster. It's up to you.
What to serve with Italian Brussels sprouts:
If you are looking for ideas on what to serve with these Italian garlic roasted Brussels sprouts then I have some suggestions for you. Here are a list of some of my favorite recipes to make with them.
- Pasta Aglio e Olio
- Italian Baked Zucchini
- Pork Chops with Záatar Cream Sauce
- Pasta with Pancetta and Mushrooms
- Lemon Butter Chicken
- Chicken with Prosciutto
- Juicy Boneless Pork Chops
- Seared Pork Chops
If you love Brussels sprouts like I do and want more recipes for them, you would love my Brussels Sprouts with lemon and olive oil , Brussels sprouts and potato gratin , Brussels sprouts hash , Brussels sprouts pasta and Asian Brussels Sprouts.
I told you love Brussels sprouts! Go ahead and give this dish a try and I know you will love it!
Roasted Italian Style Brussels Sprouts
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 ½ Pounds Brussels Sprouts cleaned, trimmed and cut in half about 2 bags
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest from the lemon
- 3 tablespoon plain bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Trim and clean your Brussels sprouts
- In a medium pan over medium heat, toast your sliced almonds, turning often until they begin to release a nutty smell and you start to see light browning on the almonds (about 5 minutes)
- Once the almonds are toasted, pour them on to a plate and set aside
- In the same sauce pan over medium heat, add your butter, garlic, lemon rind and half of the juice of 1 lemon (the rest is for later) and cook for about 3-4 minutes then remove from the heat
- Take a large sheet pan and place your Brussels sprouts evenly on the pan
- Take half of your butter mixture from the stovetop and pour over top and mix well over the Brussel sprouts. Make sure they are evenly spread out on the pan. sprinkle your salt evenly over top.
- Place your pan in the oven and roast the Brussels sprouts for about 12-13 minutes.
- After this time, remove from the oven and drizzle over the rest of your butter mixture and your bread crumbs and mix well
- Place your Brussels Sprouts back in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from the oven and add your almonds and toss well in the pan until evenly combined.
- Now drizzle the remaining lemon juice (the other half of the lemon) over the Brussels sprouts and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here