Roasted Italian Brussels sprouts just may be your new favorite Brussels sprouts recipe once you try it. Most people who know me know that I love Brussels sprouts, any way that they are cooked (except maybe boiled…).
I have at least 10 ways that I prepare these delicious green veggies, some simple and some more elaborate. I love all my Brussels sprouts recipes.
This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe falls somewhere in between elaborate and simple. It has an Italian twist with the bread crumbs, almonds, lemon and garlic and it all really works so well together. It also makes it a bit hardier and fancier which makes it a perfect side for entertaining.
When buying Brussels sprouts for this recipe, I also recommend buying the whole Brussels sprouts versus the partially prepped ones (where the store cuts the spouts for you).
The reason for this is the stems are always left on when the store does it. No one wants to eat the stems. Never ever!
Here are my steps for Cleaning and Prepping Brussels Sprouts:
First I clean them by washing and drying them off.
The next thing I do and as mentioned above is I cut all the stems off of the Brussels sprouts. They are rough and will ruin your experience eating this delicious vegetable.
The next thing I do is take one single layer of the Brussels sprout’s leaves off of the outside. If you have worked with this vegetable before then you know that the outside layer can be pretty ugly and not something you want to serve to others.
That is it. This is what I have found to be the best way to clean and trim Brussels sprouts. If you find this too labor intensive, it makes a great project to enlist some help from another person in your home.
Just remember, this Italian Brussels sprouts recipe can easily be made ahead up to the point of the cooking part of the recipe. You can prep and measure out all of your ingredients and set them aside until you are ready to cook. That’s definitely something I look for when I am entertaining or making multiple dishes!
If you love Brussels sprouts like I do and want more recipes for them, you would love my Brussels Sprouts with lemon and olive oil and my Brussels sprouts and potato gratin ! If you are looking for fun ways to add Brussels sprouts to new dishes, this Asian style Brussels sprouts hot dogs is definitely the way to go!
Go ahead and give this dish a try and I know you will love it!
Italian Style Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts cleaned, trimmed and cut in half about 2 bags
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest from the lemon
- 3 tbsp plain bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Trim and clean your Brussels sprouts
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, toast your sliced almonds, turning often until they begin to release a nutty smell and you start to see light browning on the almonds (about 5 minutes)
- Once the almonds are toasted, pour them on to a plate and set aside
- In the same sauce pan over medium heat, add your butter, garlic, lemon rind and juice of 1 lemon and cook for about 3-4 minutes then remove from the heat
- Take a large sheet pan and place your Brussels sprouts evenly on the pan
- Take half of your butter mixture from the stovetop and pour over top and mix well over the Brussel sprouts. Make sure they are evenly spread out on the pan. sprinkle your salt evenly over top.
- Place your pan in the oven and roast the Brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle over the rest of your butter mixture and your bread crumbs and mix well
- Place your Brussels Sprouts back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from the oven and add your almonds and toss well in the pan until evenly combined.
- Serve immediately