Caramelized banana French toast is so easy to make and you only need a few simple ingredients. It's the perfect delicious French toast for any season.
We love bananas and we do eat a lot of them. Usually, I bake with bananas and make either my banana crumb cake or banana bread cake. Adding bananas to my French toast rotation was the best thing I ever did.
Now bananas on their own are delicious but I think we can all agree that if you add some butter and brown sugar and then caramelize them, then it can only be even more amazing.
I have converted those who hate bananas with this caramelized banana French toast recipe.
It is amazing!
French Toast With Caramelized Bananas Ingredients
As I said, these are all simple ingredients. It will not take you long to mix this all together. Here is what you need, (full recipe below):
- Sliced white bread. I like a slightly thicker sliced bread so the French toast holds its shape when cooking.
- Heavy Cream. You can also use milk.
- Eggs. Large eggs work best.
- Bananas. Try to use a slightly firmer banana so it will hold up to the caramelizing.
- Dark brown sugar. I use dark brown sugar but you can use light brown sugar too.
- Butter. I use unsalted butter.
Recipe Tip: Make sure to slice those bananas about 1 inch thick so they hold their shape while caramelizing in the pan.
I told you these were simple ingredients!
How to make (step-by-step photos)
Simple steps are what this delicious banana French toast is all about. Here is how to make it:
The first thing you want to do is make the caramelized banana topping so it is ready when the French toast is done cooking.
- Slice bananas: Make sure to slice them into 1-inch thick slices so they hold their shape during cooking.
- Cook: In a large saute pan, cook the bananas with the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes or until you start to see the caramelization on the bananas. Make sure to flip halfway through cooking and don't overcook or you will end up with mushy bananas.
- Mix: Mix the ingredients for the French toast custard. This is the cinnamon, brown sugar, cream and eggs.
- Dip: Now dip the sliced bread into the custard then flip and dip the other side.
- Cook: Cook the French toast in a preheated and buttered skillet or pan for about 3 minutes per side. Look for the outside of the French toast to be crisp before flipping.
- Plate: Now just plate the French toast and enjoy. In our house, we really enjoy eating this caramelized banana French toast on its own with just the bananas on top. You can also add some maple syrup if you prefer.
This banana French toast is perfect just the way it is but that does not mean you can't make this your own. Here are some ideas:
- Use whole wheat bread: Use whole wheat bread instead of white bread for a healthier breakfast.
- Add more spice: If you want more spice in the French toast, try adding some nutmeg, more cinnamon, or even vanilla.
- Use milk: If you don't have cream, go ahead and use milk. Just cook the French toast about a minute longer if you do this.
- Swap out the toppings: You can make this with caramelized apples or add some toasted pecans or walnuts for crunch.
More breakfast recipes
If you love this caramelized banana French toast, you may also like these recipes:
French Toast With Caramelized Bananas
- 1 loaf of white sliced bread
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup Heavy cream you can use milk if you do not have cream.
- 3 tablespoon Dark brown sugar you can also use light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter for the pan
- a pinch of kosher salt
- 2 bananas not too ripe
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Cut bananas into 1-inch thick slices.2 bananas
- Add sugar, butter, and bananas to a large saute pan over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes making sure to flip halfway through cooking.3 tablespoon unsalted butter, 3 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Remove from the pan and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- In a large bowl, add your eggs, cream, cinnamon, sugar and salt and mix well.4 eggs, ¼ cup Heavy cream, 3 tablespoon Dark brown sugar, a pinch of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Now, preheat a large heavy bottom skillet or griddle on medium heat.
- Once it is pre-heated, add your butter and let it fully melt.1 teaspoon butter for the pan
- Now take a slice of bread and place into your custard mixture then take it out flip it over and submerge it again.1 loaf of white sliced bread
- Lift the bread out of the custard making sure to let the excess custard drip off and then place in your pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes then flip.
- Cook the other side for 3 minutes or until it is nice and golden in color.
- Continue the steps above until all of the French toast is cooked.
- Top with caramelized bananas and powdered sugar or maple syrup and enjoy.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!