If you’ve ever wondered if banana bread can be made in a cake pan, the answer is yes and it tastes just as amazing! You can use one round cake pan or two depending on your preference and the only thing you will need to do is adjust the cooking time.
Using cake pans will yield the same results as a loaf pan when making this delicious banana bread. The time is equivalent for 1- 9 inch round cake pan and 1 standard loaf pan. If you wanted to speed up the cooking time, use two 9 inch round cake pans and cut your cook time in half.
The banana bread when using a single cake pan will rise up nicely and look much like a cake. It is really beautiful!
Now that we have talked about the types of pans you can bake your banana bread in, let’s talk about this delicious and easy banana bread recipe! This is the recipe I always use to make my banana bread and it comes out amazing every time.
Here is what you will need to make this cake pan banana bread:
For the bread:
- 4 really ripe bananas
- vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
For the topping:
- vanilla extract
All very simple ingredients and most things are pantry staples that you will probably already have in your house. This banana bread recipe uses oil as well which I always have on hand. Tip: this banana bread recipe is best made when you are trying to make use of those overripe bananas!
I like to serve my banana bread with a topping on the side so that if people want to add it they can and if they don’t want it they just leave it off. I do this with most of my desserts because it keeps the desserts fresher longer (except for desserts with frosting). This topping is a really simple whipped ricotta topping and will take only 3 ingredients and 2 minutes to make.
Now the steps to making this really moist and delicious banana bread are also as simple as the ingredients. This recipe is not fussy at all. The only thing you need to plan for is if you are using one cake pan like I did here, the cook time will be around an hour. As I mentioned above, you can cut the cooking time in half by using two cake pans.
Here are the steps to making this cake pan banana bread:
- Add all of your dry ingredients to one bowl (except the sugar)
- In a separate bowl add your sugar and oil and cream together
- Add your eggs to the cream mixture along with your vanilla and mix well.
- Mash in your bananas and mix well
- Now add your dry ingredients and spices to the mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour into a prepared cake pan
- Top with slices of banana on top (optional)
The longest part about this recipe will be the baking. Assembling it all is easy and no skills required. You will have an entire hour to sit back relax and do whatever you like. The end result is worth it to have a slice of this banana bread!
(Cake Pan) Banana Bread with Whipped Ricotta Topping
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ripe bananas 3 for the batter and one for the topping
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Whipped ricotta topping
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- If you are making the whipped ricotta topping, remove the ricotta from the fridge now so it can come to room temperature to make later on.
- Prepare one 9 inch round cake pan by buttering the pan and then adding flour on top of the buttered pan and shaking it all around until the entire pan has been coated. Make sure to get the sides. Shake out any excess flour over the sink.
- In a large bowl add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix together
- In a separate bowl add your oil, and both sugars and mix on medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Now add your eggs to the creamy mixture and mix well.
- Add your 3 bananas into your butter and egg mixture and mash them well well. Stir to make sure the bananas are all broken up.
- Now add your dry ingredients into the wet mixture bowl and mix until it all is incorporated.
- Pour your batter into your prepared cake pan.
- Take the 4th banana that you reserved and peel it. With a sharp knife, carefully slice the banana lengthwise into 3 slices.
- Gently lay your banana slices on top of your banana bread batter one next to the other.
- Place your cake pan on to a sheet pan and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, cover the top of your banana bread with aluminum foil by gently laying a piece over top.
- Place back in the oven for another 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When done, remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve by slicing pieces from the cake pan.
Whipped Ricotta Topping
- While the banana bread is cooling take your room temperature ricotta and add it to a medium bowl.
- Add your honey and vanilla extract and whip on medium speed with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until the ricotta mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Serve along side the banana bread