Basil lemonade is one of my absolute favorite drinks to make in the warmer months. I love this basil-infused lemonade because it is so refreshing and the perfect summertime drink to sip on.
Basil and lemon are the perfect combination of flavors and it really shows through with this basil lemonade. This recipe combines fresh lemons, simple syrup, and fresh basil to make the most amazing floral-flavored lemonade.
I love making sweet things with fresh basil and for good reason, basil tastes amazing when sugar is added to it.
This is my tried and true recipe for this amazing summertime drink and it is so easy to make. It is great served alongside your grilled hamburgers, grilled pork chops, or hot dogs for a perfect summertime BBQ.
Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients you will need
- Fresh basil (a good few handfuls!). Fresh basil is a must when making this recipe.
- Water. This is for the basil simple syrup.
- Granulated sugar. Also for the simple syrup which is the sweetener in this drink.
- Lemons. It is best to juice your own lemons if you are making this because bottled lemon juice is not as fresh.
All simple ingredients!
If you have more leftover basil to use up, my basil olive oil cake is a great way to make use of it.
How to make basil lemonade
Making this basil lemonade is such a breeze. It takes just a few minutes to make and just a little more time to allow it to cool.
Here is more info on each step.
- Add water and sugar to a saucepan: Here you are adding the water, sugar, and basil to a saucepan to make the basil simple syrup. If you prefer to not use sugar, you can make a honey simple syrup with basil instead.
- Heat gently: This part is important because you do not want to boil the basil, just get the water and sugar hot enough so that the sugar dissolves in the water.
- Allow to Steep: Allow the basil to infuse into the syrup until it comes to room temperature. This is the same process I follow for my lavender water and lavender lemonade recipes and it really is the best way to pull out the flavors of the herbs that you are working with, without overcooking them.
- Juice lemons: Juice the lemons for the lemonade.
- Mix it all together: Now mix the lemon juice, basil simple syrup, and some additional water together.
- Make sure to juice the lemons and not use bottled lemon juice.
- You can add other flavors to this basil lemonade like fresh ground ginger.
- Feel free to make the basil simple syrup portion of this recipe with honey instead of sugar. Just measure out about the same amount of honey for the sugar and follow the rest of the recipe the same.
More Infused Drink Recipes
If you love this easy basil lemonade recipe, you may also like these flavor-infused drinks:
More Delicious Basil Recipes
- Strawberry Basil Popsicles
- Grapefruit Basil and Lemon Popsicles
- Basil Olive Oil Cake
- Tomato and Basil Soup
- Italian Basil Mayonnaise
- Italian Potatoes with Italian Salsa Verde
Easy and Refreshing Basil Lemonade
Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- large bunch of fresh basil leaves 15-20 or about 1 cup gently packed
- 1 ½ cups Lemon Juice fresh squeezed and pulp sifted out
- 4 cups water
Basil Simple Syrup
- Add water and sugar to a medium pot over medium heat1 ½ cups of water, 1 ½ cups of sugar
- Warm the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar dissolves, remove from the heat and add your fresh basil leaves and place a lid over top.large bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Allow to cool with the basil leaves steeping in the simple syrup.
- When cooled, remove basil leaves and pour your syrup into a container and use right away or refrigerate.
- Juice the lemons and add it to a large pitcher.1 ½ cups Lemon Juice
- Now add the cooled basil simple syrup to the pitcher.
- Add water and mix together.4 cups water
- Optional: Add some fresh basil leaves and lemon slices to the pitcher as garnish and to show what the lemonade is made from.
- Serve over ice and enjoy!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!