Italian potatoes with salsa verde is a delicious and flavorful Italian potato recipe that you will want to make on repeat because it is that good. The Italian salsa verde that goes with these roasted potatoes is absolutely delicious and perfect on so many dishes (more on that below). These Italian roasted potatoes are perfect as a side dish to dinner or as an Italian potato salad for the summer and so easy to make.
You may have heard of salsa verde but Italian salsa verde is so much better! Traditional Italian salsa verde is similar to pesto.
Italian salsa verde is a bright fresh lemony, garlicky, and briny flavored topping that you can add to chicken, fish, or in this case, potatoes.
This delicious brightness really makes these Italian potatoes so amazing and a favorite around here. One of the main reasons I love these Italian roasted potatoes is they are not your usual boring potatoes and they are loaded with so much flavor.
These potatoes are bright, zingy, full of flavor, and addictive!
What You Will Need
Ingredients you need for the Italian Salsa Verde
- Italian Flat Leaf Parsley: Make sure to use flat-leaf parsley and not curly parsley since it has more flavor.
- Capers: These add a salty bite.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is preferred.
- Lemon: Either bottled or fresh lemon work.
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil leaves give so much flavor to the sauce.
- Kosher Salt
- Olive Oil: Try to use a good quality like extra virgin olive oil.
This Italian roasted potatoes recipe is all about bright herbs and freshness. Making sure all your ingredients are fresh is important, in particular the herbs.
Ingredients Needed For the Roasted Potatoes
- Baby Red Potatoes. You could also substitute these with baby yellow potatoes.
- Salsa Verde (full recipe below)
- Olive Oil. For roasting the potatoes.
- Kosher salt. This adds flavor to the potatoes.
How to make these Italian Roasted Potatoes
The bulk of the time will be making the Italian salsa verde. I do highly recommend doubling the recipe for the salsa verde because as I mentioned above, it goes so well on so many dishes.
- Make Salsa Verde: All of the ingredients for the salsa verde are added right into a food processor and pulsed until it makes a thick and smooth sauce. If you do not have a food processor, you can also use a blender.
- Roast the potatoes: To roast the potatoes you are going to quarter them then add them to a sheet pan. Toss with a little olive oil and kosher salt and mix it all together.
- Combine: Toss the roasted potatoes with the salsa verde.
The salsa verde will be added after the potatoes are done roasting. This is what makes these roasted potatoes taste so good, that fresh tangy element added at the end!
What to Serve with Italian Potatoes
- Rotisserie chicken sandwiches. I like to make these sandwiches to go with the potatoes and bring them to a picnic or to eat outside in the warmer months.
- Serve these as a side dish to hamburgers or Chorizo burgers.
- Italian Chicken and Prosciutto. These potatoes make the most delicious side to go with this simple Italian chicken.
- I love to dollop this fresh salsa verde on top of my citrus chicken kabobs and then serve these potatoes on the side.
- Sometimes I am in an all-vegetable mood at dinner so I will make these Italian potatoes along with green beans with tomatoes.
- You can make extra Italian salsa verde and keep it in the fridge for up to one week or freeze it for up to one month. I highly recommend doing this because it is worth it for the flavor it adds to meals.
- These potatoes can be served hot from the oven, warm, at room temperature, or cold. They are truly the most amazing potatoes!
- These Italian potatoes make a great picnic item because there are no ingredients that spoil. Make this your summertime potato salad and everyone will appreciate it.
More Like This
If you love these Italian potatoes, you may also like:
Italian Potatoes with Salsa Verde
- food processor
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Italian Salsa Verde
- 2 bunches of Italian parsley lightly chopped and stems removed. About 2 cups not packed.
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- 4 ounces capers rinsed
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic lightly chopped
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the quartered potatoes to a large sheet pan.1.5 lbs baby red potatoes
- Drizzle with olive oil and add salt.2 tablespoon Olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- With your hands, toss the potatoes well in the olive oil and salt.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they begin to brown.
Italian Salsa Verde
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.2 bunches of Italian parsley, ⅓ cup Olive oil, 4 ounces capers, 20 fresh basil leaves, 2 cloves garlic, 1 large lemon, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix together until the mixture is mostly smooth and slightly thick (a few lumps are fine)
Assembling the Italian Potatoes
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Grab a large bowl and add the slightly cooled potatoes to it.
- Scoop half of the salsa verde on to the potatoes and toss together for a minute, allowing the warm potatoes to absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Now add the remaining salsa verde and toss again.
- Serve immediately if you prefer them hot or allow them to cool to room temperature and serve them warm.
- These Italian potatoes are perfect served hot, at room temperature or cold.
- To refrigerate the potatoes, allow them to come to room temperature first then place them in a container with a tight fitting lid. Store for up to one week in the fridge.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!