Italian potatoes with salsa verde is a delicious and flavorful potato recipe that you will want to make on repeat because it is that good. The Italian salsa verde recipe that goes with these potatoes is so absolutely delicious and perfect on so many dishes (more on that below). These Italian potatoes are perfect as a side dish to dinner or as an Italian potato salad for the summer and so easy to make.
About this recipe:
Italian salsa verde is a bright fresh lemony, garlicky and briny flavored topping that you can add to chicken, fish or in this case, potatoes.
This delicious brightness really makes these Italian potatoes so amazing and a favorite around here. These Italian potatoes are not your usual boring potatoes. They are bright, zingy, full of flavor and addictive!
Ingredients you need for the Italian Salsa Verde:
- Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
- Fresh Basil
- Kosher Salt
- Olive Oil
This Italian salsa verde recipe is all about bright herbs and freshness so your ingredients all need to be fresh, in particular the herbs. To make this even more traditional, you can add an anchovy or two into the salsa and it will really increase that briny flavor.
I prefer to use just capers because I am not a fan of anchovies and no matter how many times someone says you can't taste it, well I always do 🙂
Ingredients Needed For the Potatoes:
- Baby Red Potatoes. You could also substitute these with baby yellow potatoes.
- Italian Salsa Verde
- Olive Oil. For roasting the potatoes.
- Kosher salt. This is also for the roasting part of the recipe.
What it all looks like:
The bulk of the time will be making the Italian salsa verde. I do highly recommend doubling the recipe for the salsa verde because as I mentioned above, it goes so well on so many dishes.
Once you have made this part of the Italian potatoes recipe, you only need to roast the potatoes in the oven until they are golden. Once they come out of the oven you toss them in the Italian sauce.
My favorite ways to serve these potatoes:
These Italian potatoes are perfect any time of year. In the cooler months I will make these potatoes to serve as a bright flavorful side dish to meat and in the summer months I love to make this as an Italian potato salad to replace those heavy mayonnaise based versions. It also packs really well for picnics or outings during the warmer months since it will not spoil.
Here are some dishes to serve with these potatoes:
- Italian Roast Beef Sandwich or rotisserie chicken sandwiches. I like to make these sandwiches to go with the potatoes and bring them to a picnic or to eat outside in the warmer months.
- Italian Chicken and Prosciutto. These potatoes make the most delicious side to go with this simple Italian chicken.
- I love to dollop this fresh salsa verde on top of my citrus chicken kabobs and then serve these potatoes on the side.
- Sometimes I am in an all vegetable mood at dinner so I will make these Italian potatoes along with roasted asparagus.
- You can make extra of the Italian salsa verde and keep it in the fridge for up to one week or freeze it for up to one month. I highly recommend doing this because it is worth it for the flavor it adds to meals.
- These potatoes can be served hot from the oven, warm, room temperature or cold. They are truly the most amazing potatoes!
- These potatoes make a great picnic item because there are no ingredients that spoil. Make this your summertime potato salad and everyone will appreciate it.
Italian Potatoes with Salsa Verde
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- food processor
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Italian Salsa Verde
- 2 bunches of Italian parsley lightly chopped and stems removed. About 2 cups not packed.
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- 4 ounces capers rinsed
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic lightly chopped
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the quartered potatoes to a large sheet pan.1.5 lbs baby red potatoes
- Drizzle with olive oil and add salt.2 tablespoon Olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- With your hands, toss the potatoes well in the olive oil and salt.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they begin to brown.
Italian Salsa Verde
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.2 bunches of Italian parsley, ⅓ cup Olive oil, 4 ounces capers, 20 fresh basil leaves, 2 cloves garlic, 1 large lemon, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix together until the mixture is mostly smooth and slightly thick (a few lumps are fine)
Assembling the Italian Potatoes
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Grab a large bowl and add the slightly cooled potatoes to it.
- Scoop half of the salsa verde on to the potatoes and toss together for a minute, allowing the warm potatoes to absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Now add the remaining salsa verde and toss again.
- Serve immediately if you prefer them hot or allow them to cool to room temperature and serve them warm.
- These Italian potatoes are perfect served hot, at room temperature or cold.
- To refrigerate the potatoes, allow them to come to room temperature first then place them in a container with a tight fitting lid. Store for up to one week in the fridge.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here