Homemade lavender lemonade is my newest obsession and I think you will understand when you try it. This easy homemade lavender lemonade recipe is floral, sweet and so refreshing. I will show you how to make this simple and refreshing lavender drink the right way so you can sip on it all summer. No purple here since the lavender lemonade is all natural!
Making a delicious homemade lavender lemonade is very simple once you know the right way to get the lavender flavor into your lemonade. I will show you how to gently steep the lavender so its beautiful floral flavor comes through without any bitterness.
The end result is a perfectly balanced and amazing floral lavender flavor (that is not too strong) and that makes the best lavender lemonade.
This made from scratch lavender lemonade recipe is my favorite recipe for lavender and I make it often. I use this as a lavender lemonade as my non alcoholic drink of juice during the hot months of summer when I don't want to drink alcohol.
You can also make a lavender lemonade cocktail by adding your favorite vodka to this recipe. It is totally up to you! I love pairing this in the summer with my hamburger recipe and mini cheesecakes for the perfect pairing when it is hot outside.
Choosing the right lavender for this recipe
The lavender you want to use for this lavender infused lemonade is culinary lavender (English lavender is my favorite.) Dried or fresh lavender will both work.
This is what the folks at a local lavender farm in Texas taught me. I didn't think I was a huge fan of lavender in my recipes until I made this recipe.
This lavender farm taught me the right proportions and types of lavender to use and the perfect recipe for lemonade with the perfect floral balance of lavender. This recipe was the first lavender recipe I mastered and it has become a staple in our house.
There is now always a pitcher of homemade lavender lemonade in our refrigerator in the summer.
Ingredients for lavender lemonade
There are just a few ingredients you will need to make this homemade lavender lemonade. Here is what they are:
- Dried culinary lavender buds. These are the lavender blossoms and my preferred type of lavender to use when making homemade lavender lemonade. If you are not sure, ask the store you purchase lavender from if it is for cooking. You can also use fresh culinary lavender if you have it.
- Water. I like to use bottled water when making my homemade lemonades.
- Lemons. Do try to use fresh lemons for this lavender lemonade. It will really make a big difference in the flavor.
- Sugar. I like to use granulated sugar for this recipe.
These are all very simple ingredients. It is going to be the same as making a traditional homemade lemonade except we are adding some infused lavender water to this recipe.
The key to making the BEST lavender lemonade is to make lavender water first.
How to make lavender lemonade
- Make the lavender water. The first thing you need to do is to make a lavender water. Not a lavender simple syrup but lavender water. The steeping of the lavender in the hot water, gently wakes up the lavender buds and slowly infuses its flavor into the water. This is one of the key steps to making the most amazing lavender lemonade. This step can be done a day ahead of time! I actually keep a small carafe of this in my fridge so it is ready whenever I need to make a new batch of this lavender lemonade.
- Juice your lemons. Try to uses fresh lemons that will will need to be juiced because the flavor is so much better than bottles lemon juice. You can juice your lemons with a juicer or an old fashioned lemon press. Do what is easiest for you!
- Make a quick simple syrup. Bring some water and sugar to a simmer until the sugar dissolve then allow to cool. You will need a simple syrup to make sure the sugar stays dissolved in the lavender lemonade.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large pitcher.
This lavender lemonade recipe is identical to any other homemade lemonade recipe. The only difference is we are going to substitute some of the lavender water for the plain water that goes into the lemonade.
It is lightly floral and really delicious.
This lavender lemonade and my basil lemonade are two of my summertime drinks. I promise you, this is a really simple lavender drink that anyone can make!
Ways to use
This lavender lemonade makes a great summertime drink because it is so refreshing and light. You can also use this easy and refreshing drink for:
- Baby showers
- Bridal showers
- Birthday parties
- BBQs or Cookouts
Use this lavender drink for any occasion. I promise everyone will love it.
if you want to jazz this lemonade up even more, try adding in some blackberry puree!
You want to make sure you do not skip making the simple syrup step. Sugar will not dissolve in a cold or room temperature liquid.
Making the simple syrup makes sure that your sugar is fully dissolved when it goes into your lavender lemonade.
This lavender lemonade recipe can be used as is or converted into a quick and easy cocktail by adding a little liquor. It also makes a great frozen popsicle.
There are so many ways to make us of this delicious floral lemonade. I love mixing things up a bit and adding these to ingredients to the lavender lemonade:
- Add Vodka or Gin: for a boozy lavender lemonade.
- Add more herbs: I like adding a little basil or rosemary for a more floral lavender lemonade.
- Make if fizzy: Try adding in some tonic water or club soda for a fizzy lavender lemonade.
Use a frozen lemonade concentrate from the grocery store. All you have to do is make your lavender water and mix that with your frozen lemonade mix along with a little extra water.
Benefits of culinary lavender
Lavender is said to have many benefits including calming, for anxiety and to cure insomnia. I am not sure if the lavender in the lavender lemonade recipe will make any of these things happen but it certainly is a drink that makes me happy when I drink it 🙂
Lavender lemonade is a delicious refreshing lemonade where the lavender adds a sweet note to lemonade, almost like a sugar cookie.
Lavender lemonade, or any drink with lavender is not purple naturally. Lavender when added to drinks will add a slight golden color. If a lavender drink is purple then you know it has food coloring.
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups Water
- In a medium sauce pan add your water and bring to a boil.
- Measure out 2 teaspoons of dried lavender buds into a a medium or large carafe or mason jar.
- Add your boiling water to the jar.
- Let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 24 hour in your refrigerator with a lid on top.
- Use in any recipe that calls for water (tea, lemonade, cocktails, etc).
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar becomes clear, about 3 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Making the Lemonade
- Juice your lemons until you have about 1 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over your pitcher and pour your lemon juice through to remove pulp and seeds.
- Now add your 2 cups of cooled lavender water.
- Add your cup of simple syrup.
- Add 3 cups of plain water and stir.
- Serve over ice with a slice of lemon or fresh lavender sprig (optional).
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here