This rhubarb gin fizz is a delicious and easy drink made with Rhubarb simple syrup, gin, Aperol, and tonic water (the fizz). Perfect for summertime sipping.
It is no secret that I love Aperol and pairing it with rhubarb and tonic water is so good. Another not-so-secret thing about me is that I love sweeter cocktails.
My grapefruit gin and tonic is a delicious example of that. Also, my bramble cocktail or my watermelon margaritas are fun fruity drinks that fit that note.
With this simple rhubarb gin fizz, you only need to mix a few simple ingredients and the hardest one, the rhubarb simple syrup can be made ahead of time.
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup. This is so easy to make. You will need fresh or frozen rhubarb, sugar, and water.
- Aperol. (Optional) This is an Italian liquor and it really goes well with this drink.
- Gin. Use your favorite brand of gin.
- Tonic. The tonic is the fizz in this rhubarb gin fizz.
- Lime. I always love squeezing a bit of fresh lime over this rhubarb cocktail. It really elevates the fruity flavors of the drink. If you do not have limes, no worries, you can leave this part out.
The Rhubarb simple syrup is made ahead of time so that it has time to cool in the refrigerator before it is used in the cocktail. It only takes 10 minutes to make and is very easy.
I make a good batch of this as I do with many of my simple syrups(basil simple syrup, cherry simple syrup, pear simple syrup)and just store them in the refrigerator until I need them. The flavored simple syrups will last weeks in the cold part of your refrigerator.
Cocktails are not the only use for these simple syrups. I love using them in lemonades or any non-alcoholic drinks. You can actually make a big batch of lemonade with the simple syrup and just use that as a cocktail mixer for cocktails.
There are so many uses for it!
Why I think you'll love this rhubarb gin fizz
- You can make a big batch of the rhubarb simple syrup ahead of time and have it waiting to make many drinks with it.
- The rhubarb simple syrup really compliments the Aperol beautifully
- The gin added to the drink really gives that extra punch to make a sturdy cocktail.
- The lime adds that bit of tartness that really compliments the flavor of the rhubarb.
I highly suggest giving this Rhubarb and gin fizz a try because it is really delicious and perfect for sipping on in the summer. I might also mention that because it is really easy to sip and so refreshing so you'll want to remember that there is alcohol in it!
I hope you give this one a try.
Here are some ideas of what to serve with this rhubarb cocktail:
More Like This
If you love this rhubarb gin fizz with Aperol, you will also love these:
Easy Rhubarb and Gin Fizz
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces Rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
Making the Cocktail
- 2 ounces tonic water
- 2 ounces rhubarb simple syrup
- 1 ounce Aperol roughly 1 shot
- 1 ounce Gin
- 1 lime quarters
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- In a medium saucepan add your rhubarb, sugar, and water and bring to a boil.2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 16 ounces Rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, strain the simple syrup through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and allow to cool.
Making the cocktail
- In a cocktail mixer or pitcher add your Aperol, Gin and simple syrup2 ounces rhubarb simple syrup, 1 ounce Aperol roughly 1 shot, 1 ounce Gin
- Shake or stir well
- Grab a rocks glass and add ice almost to the topice
- Pour your drink mixture into the glass until it reaches ¾ of the way to the top
- Now top with your tonic water2 ounces tonic water
- Give a light stir
- Squeeze your lime wedge into the drink.1 lime quarters
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!