Cherry Simple syrup is delicious simple syrup that goes so well in so many drinks. For this recipe, we used sweet cherries since they were available but sour cherries would be great too.
Flavored simple syrups are one of the easiest things to make and can really make your drinks and desserts taste amazing for only a little effort. Simple syrups can be used for almost any drink from hot tea, iced tea, lemonades, popsicles or cocktails. You can drizzle it over a fruit salad as well.
I make a lot of flavored simple syrups for this reason and because they last in the refrigerator for weeks. Any herb or fruit can be added to a base simple syrup.
Some of my other flavored simple syrups are:
I use all of these quite a bit and it really makes the difference in my cocktails, drinks and popsicles! You can use frozen fruit or fresh fruit and it will not make a difference in the flavor.
I used fresh cherries for this recipe since that is what I had on hand. I have also made it with frozen, when cherries were no longer in season. Both are equally delicious and there is no difference in taste.
The steps to making this cherry simple syrup are really easy. A few ingredients and a few minutes is all you need.
Steps to making this cherry simple syrup:
- You just add all of your ingredients into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once it is done simmering, you just strain and press the remaining cherry juice out of the cherries and then let cool.
For me, cherry simple syrup replaces grenadine in any recipe or cocktail that calls for that. I am not a fan of grenadine and if you feel the same way you will now have a great substitute for it.
Some great uses for Simple Syrups:
- To use in cocktails.
- As a sweetener and flavor addition to non alcoholic beverages like lemonade or limeade.
- On top of pancakes or crepes
- You can add it to marinades for meat as a sweet element. This tastes really delicious.
You can totally use your own imagine and creativity for how to use flavored simple syrups. The small amount of work that it takes to make this simple syrup is well worth it for the huge reward in taste and uses in so many recipes.
Questions And Tips When Making This Cherry Simple Syrup:
Is cherry simple syrup the same as grenadine?
No. Many people believe they are the same but grenadine is made from pomegranates. I actually love pomegranate but I do not like grenadine. I use this simple syrup as a substitute for recipes that call for grenadine.
Do you have to remove the cherry pits before making this simple syrup?
Yes. Cherry pits are toxic and contain a compound that your body converts into arsenic. If they are chewed or are broken down in any way into your food they can cause you to get sick. You probably have to eat a good bit for this to happen but I prefer to air on the side of caution with this.
Does this cherry simple syrup need to be refrigerated after it is made?
Yes. All fruit simple syrups really should be refrigerated. The fruit in the syrup is what causes this (that organic matter being added) and refrigerating will help keep it from spoiling. If this were plain simple syrup you could leave it out but since we cooked the cherries down in the syrup refrigeration is necessary.
Sweet Cherry Simple Syrup
- Fine mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces sweet cherries, fresh or frozen. pits removed
- If you are working with fresh cherries, remove the pits by gently smashing them to expose the pit on the inside.
- In a medium sauce pan add your cherries, sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the cherry mixture over that.
- Gently press the cherries in the strainer to release the remaining juices.
- Discard the cherries and allow the cherry simple syrup to cool and come to room temperature.
- Once the syrup has come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, you can transfer the simple syrup to a proper storage container or leave in the bowl until ready to sue in your favorite drink or cocktail.