Cherry Simple syrup is delicious simple syrup that goes so well in so many drinks. For this recipe, we used sweet cherries since they were available but sour cherries would be great too.
Flavored simple syrups are one of the easiest things to make and can really make your drinks taste amazing for only a little effort. Simple syrups can be used for almost any drink from hot tea, iced tea, lemonades, popsicles or cocktails.
I make a lot of flavored simple syrups for this reason and because they last in the refrigerator for weeks. Any herb or fruit can be added to a base simple syrup.
Some of my other flavored simple syrups are:
I use all of these quite a bit and it really makes the difference in my cocktails, drinks and popsicles! You can use frozen fruit or fresh fruit and it will not make a difference in the flavor.
I used fresh cherries for this recipe since that is what I had on hand. I have also made it with frozen, when cherries were no longer in season. Both are equally delicious and there is no difference in taste.
The steps to making this cherry simple syrup are really easy. You just add all of your ingredients into a pan, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Once it is done simmering, you just strain and press the remaining cherry juice out of the cherries and then let cool. Done!
Some great uses for Simple Syrups:
- To use in cocktails.
- As a sweetener and flavor addition to non alcoholic beverages like lemonade or limeade.
- On top of pancakes or crepes
- You can add it to marinades for meat as a sweet element. This tastes really delicious.
You can totally use your own imagine and creativity for how to use flavored simple syrups. The small amount of work that it takes to make this simple syrup is well worth it for the huge reward in taste and uses in so many recipes.
Sweet Cherry Simple Syrup
- Fine mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces sweet cherries, fresh or frozen.
- In a medium sauce pan add your cherries, sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the cherry mixture over that.
- Gently press the cherries in the strainer to release the remaining juices.
- Discard the cherries and allow the cherry simple syrup to cool and come to room temperature.
- Once the syrup has come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, you can transfer the simple syrup to a proper storage container or leave in the bowl until ready to sue in your favorite drink or cocktail.