The Miami Vice is our new cocktail that we are drinking these days and it is the perfect drink for the summer. It is spicy from the cayenne pepper (not painfully spicy) and tart and sweet from the limes and the rhubarb that are in it.
I called this the Miami Vice cocktail because it looks sophisticated and it is still light and fresh and easy to sip on in the heat. This is exactly the kind of cocktail you order when hanging around the clubs on South Beach in the evening ( and yes, it is still really hot in the evening in Miami).
The ingredients are very simple in this drink. There are four in total.
- rhubarb simple syrup
- cayenne pepper
Because this rhubarb drink recipe has a simple syrup it will take a little planning ahead to make the simple syrup and cool it down.. As the name suggests, it is simple! As in really simple to make! Simple syrup is merely melting sugar in water which helps the sugar stay dissolved in drinks when you use it.
My rhubarb simple syrup recipe is very easy and you can use frozen rhubarb or fresh and it makes no difference. It is the same easy process as making a regular simple syrup except you are adding rhubarb.
Now since you are going through the extra work of making a simple syrup, I have another simple syrup recipe that you can make use of so none of it goes to waste! It just happens to be another cocktail so go ahead and plan for cocktails two nights in a row!
The second rhubarb cocktail is the Aperol and Rhubarb Fizz. It is equally as tasty and great for hot weather.
If there is still some simple syrup leftover, make lemonade. During the afternoon, I really enjoy making rhubarb lemonade. I just have to quickly juice some fresh lemons, add a little water and some of this simple syrup and done! It is delicious.
This drink is so easy and so delicious! Once you try this you will understand why I chose the name. Thoughts of warm weather, getting dressed up and mingling at a new club on South Beach is what this sophisticated, yet uncomplicated drink is about, even if you cannot actually be there.
The Miami Vice- A Rhubarb Cocktail
- Martini glasses, cocktail shaker (or mason jar with lid)
- 4 ounces Good quality Vodka
- 4 ounce rhubarb simple syrup see recipe link above
- 4 limes juiced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Grab 2 martini glasses and place them int he freezer to get cold.
- In a cocktail shaker (or mason jar with lid), fill it half way up with ice.
- Now add your add your vodka, lime juice, simple syrup and cayenne pepper.
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously for for 1 minute.
- Grab your cold martini glasses from the freezer.
- Through the strainer on your cocktail shaker, pour the cocktail evenly into 2 martini glasses.
- Serve Immediately and enjoy!