Strawberry Simple syrup is delicious simple syrup that goes so well in so many drinks. For this recipe, we used the strawberry tops that I cut off from preparing strawberries for my really simple and delicious strawberries and cream but you can use whole strawberries too.
Flavored simple syrups are one of the easiest things to make and can really make your drinks taste amazing for only a little effort. Simple syrups can be used for almost any drink from hot tea, iced tea, lemonades, popsicles or cocktails.
With this recipe, making this simple syrup with strawberry tops also makes sure we are not leaving behind any food waste which is always one of my goals in the kitchen.
I make a lot of flavored simple syrups! They last in the refrigerator for weeks and it is always nice to have have something ready when you want to make a drink.
Any herb or fruit can be added to the simple syrup that you make, adding even more flavor to your recipes.
Some of my other flavored simple syrups are:
I use all of these quite a bit and it really makes the difference in my cocktails, drinks and popsicles! You can use frozen fruit or fresh fruit and it will not make a difference in the flavor.
I have made this recipe with frozen and fresh strawberries (whole) and it works great. They are all equally delicious and there is no difference in taste.
I used strawberry tops for this recipe since that is what I had on hand. Normally when I prepare strawberries for another dish, I give them a quick rinse and cut the tops off because that is the quickest way to prepare them.
It does leave some waste so I decided to start saving the tops and usually I will just throw them into a pot with some water and sugar and make this.
How to make
The steps to making this strawberry simple syrup are really easy. You just add all of your ingredients into a pan, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Once it is done simmering, you just leave the berries in the simple syrup and then let cool. Once it is cooled, you just strain it and done!
Some great uses for this strawberry simple syrup:
- To use in cocktails.
- As a sweetener and flavor addition to non alcoholic beverages like lemonade or limeade.
- On top of pancakes or crepes
- You can add it to marinades for meat as a sweet element. This tastes really delicious.
You can totally use your own imagine and creativity for how to use flavored simple syrups. The small amount of work that it takes to make this simple syrup is well worth it for the huge reward in taste and uses in so many recipes.
Strawberry Simple Syrup (made from Strawberry Tops)
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- Fine mesh strainer
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberry tops with the greens removed or ½ pint of whole frozen or fresh strawberries, green tops removed
- In a medium sauce pan add your strawberry tops, sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the heat and place a lid over the the pot and let it come to room temperature.
- Once cooled, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the mixture over that.
- Transfer your syrup to a container and cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, you can use in your favorite drink or cocktail.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here