Italian Strawberry basil shrubs are what I will be sipping on all summer because it is delicious, refreshing and perfect for warmer weather. If you are not familiar with shrubs, they are drinks made with a flavored vinegar and other mixers. They are also non-alcoholic and that is what makes this the perfect Italian mocktail recipe!
Traditional shrubs are made by aging herbs or fruit with a vinegar for a long time. This is my fast version by using my balsamic strawberries recipe and it tastes just as good. This is my quick mocktail as well when I do not feel like drinking but I still want a great drink to sip on.
This is an Italian style shrub because of the basil and balsamic strawberries added in to the drink. It is also really easy to make because I muddle everything into a glass (strawberries and basil) before I add the soda water.
When you make this delicious Italian shrub, I suggest you add extra of the balsamic syrup into the drink. It really is so good that way.
Here are the ingredients for this Italian Shrub/Mocktail recipe:
- Balsamic Strawberries
- Fresh basil leaves
- Crushed ice
- Soda water or tonic water
As I mentioned above, this drink is really quick to make and I just make it on demand when I am in the mood. The recipe is for one drink.
If you would like to make a big batch of this, just multiply the recipe by how many glasses you want to make with it and add it to a large pitcher.
This shrub actually tastes better the longer it sits so feel free to make it ahead of time.
This is what the steps look like to make this easy Italian shrub:
This really is a delicious and refreshing drink to sip on and perfect for staying hydrated in the heat. If you are looking for an alternative to alcoholic drinks, then this is the perfect drink for you!
Italian Strawberry and Basil Shrub (mocktail)
- 1 pint Fresh strawberries cleaned and dried preferably organic
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- crushed ice if you don't have crushed ice regular ice cubes work fine.
- 8 ounces soda water or tonic water
- Grab a medium bowl and set aside
- Prepare your cleaned strawberries by cutting the tops off and cutting them into quarters
- Add your quartered strawberries to your bowl
- Now add your balsamic vinegar and sugar to the bowl
- Gently mix your strawberries, balsamic and sugar together
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes on the counter or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Give it another good mix and serve on it's own or over your favorite dessert or drink.
Making your drink
- Grab a medium glass
- Add two large tablespoons of your balsamic strawberries to your glass. Save the rest of your strawberries for more drinks or to use as a delicious dessert topper.
- Scoop up a tablespoon extra of the balsamic syrup and add that into your glass as well.
- Now add your fresh basil to the glass.
- Muddle (smash) your strawberries and basil really well. If you do not have a muddling tool, find a kitchen tool that you can use the handle of (a wooden stirring spoon works well) and smash up your ingredients with that.
- Now add your ice and soda water.
- Mix well.