Ricotta pasta with asparagus and mushrooms is the ultimate comfort food and what I love to make when I want a quick meal that is also really satisfying. This creamy ricotta cheese pasta is ready in under 30 minutes and makes the perfect quick meal.
About this recipe:
This ricotta cheese pasta makes a great quick meal and the ricotta actually becomes the sauce for the pasta. The ricotta cheese is added to the pasta while it is hot, helping the ricotta melt and become creamy. A little reserved pasta water is added to really make this pasta creamy.
The sautéd asparagus and mushrooms are cooked with olive oil and garlic and so full of flavor. When they are added to the creamy ricotta pasta, it is pure heaven. A fresh note of lemon comes through when a little lemon is squeezed over the ricotta pasta before serving.
Ingredients you will need:
- Whole milk ricotta cheese. I prefer whole milk ricotta because it has the sweetest flavor.
- Egg noodles. I use extra wide egg noodles because I love the chewy bite and texture they give to this pasta.
- Mushrooms. I love using Baby Bella mushrooms (these are actually baby portobello mushrooms). They have a little more flavor than white button mushrooms.
- Fresh garlic.
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Olive Oil.
- Red Pepper Flakes.
Here are the steps to make it:
PRO-TIP: When making this ricotta pasta, make sure you reserve a good full cup of pasta water because it really helps make the pasta creamy and keeps it from drying out.
More recipes with ricotta you may like:
- Ham and Ricotta Puffed Pastry Calzones
- Spinach and Ricotta Meatballs
- Ricotta Pancakes
- Tomato and Ricotta Salad
- Cake Pan Banana Bread with Whipped Ricotta
- Savory Palmiers with Ricotta and Parmesan
Ricotta Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 24 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- 16 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms Cleaned and Sliced
- 1 bunch of asparagus Rinsed and spears cut in half
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta
- ½ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ of a lemon
- a few swirls of freshly cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat a large sauté over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and red pepper flakes.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add Mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes making sure to stir the mushrooms around in the olive oil.16 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Now add the asparagus to the pan with the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the asparagus just starts to soften.1 bunch of asparagus
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat to low.
- Add garlic and salt and mix well.4 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Let the vegetables lightly cook over low heat while you move on to the pasta.
- Add pasta to boiling water along with a good pinch of salt.24 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- Cook until al dente according to the pasta instructions.
- Drain the pasta making sure to reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the ricotta and Parmesan to the cooked pasta along with half of the pasta water.1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta, ½ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- Mix well.
- If the pasta look dry add more pasta water.
- Pour the sautéd asparagus and mushrooms over the pasta and gently toss together.
- Check again if it needs any more pasta water for creaminess.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon over top and add fresh black pepper. Toss and serve immediately.½ of a lemon, a few swirls of freshly cracked pepper
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here