This asparagus and mushroom pasta is the ultimate comfort food and what I love to make when I want a quick meal that is also really satisfying. This pasta is so creamy thanks to the addition of ricotta cheese and it is ready in under 30 minutes. The perfect delicious quick meal for those busy evenings.
If you love asparagus, mushrooms, and ricotta cheese, you are going to love this asparagus and mushroom pasta with ricotta. This creamy pasta makes a great quick meal and the ricotta actually becomes the sauce for the pasta.
The ricotta cheese is added to the pasta while it is hot, helping the ricotta melt and become creamy and delicious.
This pasta makes a great quick meal for those busy evenings. If I am not making this easy pasta recipe, I love making my sage brown butter sauce tortellini, veggie meat sauce, pasta with ham, pesto pasta recipe, garlic and oil pasta, white wine garlic butter pasta, ravioli and asparagus pasta, or my Brussels sprouts pasta.
We all need easy meals to get us through the busy work week and I really love pasta!
The thing that really sets this recipe apart from other ricotta pasta recipes is the addition of the sautéd asparagus and mushrooms. These are cooked with olive oil and garlic and so full of flavor. The flavor of the asparagus in this recipe is similar to my roasted asparagus except it is cooked in a skillet.
When they are added to the creamy ricotta pasta, it is pure heaven. A fresh note of lemon also comes through when a little lemon is squeezed over the ricotta pasta before serving.
Ingredients you will need
- Whole milk ricotta cheese. I prefer whole milk ricotta because it has the sweetest flavor.
- Egg noodles. I use extra wide egg noodles because I love the chewy bite and texture they give to this pasta.
- Asparagus. The asparagus gives a really nice fresh pop of flavor to the pasta and pairs well with the ricotta.
- Mushrooms. I love using Baby Bella mushrooms (these are actually baby portobello mushrooms). They have a little more flavor than white button mushrooms.
- Fresh garlic. Try to use fresh garlic and not powdered.
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese. Look for the real Parmesan cheese for this recipe. It makes all the difference with the flavor of the pasta.
- Lemon. The lemon really brightens the flavors of the pasta.
- Olive Oil. I like to use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe because it has a smoother finish.
- Red Pepper Flakes. The red pepper flakes do not add any heat but helps add another layer of flavor to the pasta.
The ingredients for this ricotta, mushroom and asparagus pasta are all very simple. If you prefer to omit certain parts like the veggies, that is fine.
Make this recipe the way you like it! You can also use regular pasta in place of egg noodles if that is what you have on hand.
No matter how you make it, this easy ricotta cheese pasta will taste amazing.
How to make
When you are making this ricotta and veggie pasta, the only cooking you will need to do is to sauté up the vegetables and garlic and then cook the pasta. The ricotta is added in at the end along with the Parmesan.
The sweet ricotta when it hits the hot pasta, asparagus, and mushrooms will melt into the pasta and make a wonderful creamy sauce. Make sure to reserve some of that pasta water to help make the creamy sauce.
PRO-TIP: When making this pasta, make sure you reserve a good full cup of pasta water because it really helps make the pasta creamy and keeps it from drying out.
If you are looking for ideas of what to serve with this creamy asparagus and mushroom pasta, here are some of our favorites:
More recipes with ricotta you may like:
- Ham and Ricotta Puffed Pastry Calzones
- Ricotta Meatballs
- Ricotta Pancakes
- Tomato and Ricotta Salad
- Cake Pan Banana Bread with Whipped Ricotta
- Savory Palmiers with Ricotta and Parmesan
Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta With Ricotta
- 24 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- 16 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms Cleaned and Sliced
- 1 bunch of asparagus Rinsed and spears cut in half
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta
- ½ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ of a lemon
- a few swirls of freshly cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat a large sauté over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and red pepper flakes.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add Mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes making sure to stir the mushrooms around in the olive oil.16 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Now add the asparagus to the pan with the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the asparagus just starts to soften.1 bunch of asparagus
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat to low.
- Add garlic and salt and mix well.4 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Let the vegetables lightly cook over low heat while you move on to the pasta.
- Add pasta to boiling water along with a good pinch of salt.24 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- Cook until al dente according to the pasta instructions.
- Drain the pasta making sure to reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the ricotta and Parmesan to the cooked pasta along with half of the pasta water.1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta, ½ cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- Mix well.
- If the pasta look dry add more pasta water.
- Pour the sautéd asparagus and mushrooms over the pasta and gently toss together.
- Check again if it needs any more pasta water for creaminess.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon over top and add fresh black pepper. Toss and serve immediately.½ of a lemon, a few swirls of freshly cracked pepper
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!